Bobby Jindal | Duck Dynasty | Louisiana | News | Phil Robertson

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal Releases Statement Supporting 'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson

JindalLouisiana Governor Bobby Jindal was inspired to release a statement of support for Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson after Robertson was suspended for comparing gay sex to sex with animals, and homosexuals to drunks and terrorists who are going to Hell for their sins.

Jindal's statement:

“Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV.  In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views.  In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended "

Comments

1. No, Jindal, it's a messed up situation when political leaders jump on the homophobic bandwagon to score points.

Posted by: DrunkEnough | Dec 19, 2013 9:40:51 AM

2. That's probably the worst statement I've ever seen by a supposed grown up, not not to mention an actual State Governor. It looks like it was written by a 14 year old.

Posted by: Joe M | Dec 19, 2013 9:43:24 AM

3. I think someone has a man crush.

Posted by: MajorTom | Dec 19, 2013 9:44:38 AM

4. It's amazing that politicians think the First Amendment applies to corporations.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 19, 2013 9:45:00 AM

5. So is Piyush Jindal endorsing Robertson's remarks or not?

I wonder what Piyush would think if he heard what he thought about the advisability of letting brownskins into the governing classes.

Poor little Piyush. Fieldhand thinks he's a Master.

Posted by: Free Market | Dec 19, 2013 9:45:29 AM

6. If the Federal Government (or State or Local Government) somehow prevented or retaliated on what he said, then yes it's a violation of the his First Amendment rights. A&E is a private company, free to set their own standards.

Posted by: Brian G | Dec 19, 2013 9:46:16 AM

7. How can a state Governor not understand how the First Amendment works? I can't even with these people.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Dec 19, 2013 9:48:51 AM

8. How can a state Governor not understand how the First Amendment works? I can't even with these people.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Dec 19, 2013 9:48:51 AM

9. Where were these 'free speech' defenders when Martin Bashir was being canned?

Posted by: sundayboy | Dec 19, 2013 9:53:10 AM

10. State Governors should NEVER use the adolescent phrase 'messed up.' Who does he think his supporting demographic are, One Direction fans?

Posted by: sundayboy | Dec 19, 2013 9:55:04 AM

11. Sure Bobby, I'm sure you will support wherever the money is....just remember, it was under your regime that the Louisiana constitution was amended to prevent us from marrying too. To the bone, he is a politician. A poor one.

Posted by: jOEY IN lcla | Dec 19, 2013 9:57:47 AM

12. See it? I'm not sure if it's translating through the internet very well..

*shocked face*

Posted by: MikeKV | Dec 19, 2013 10:00:04 AM

13. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence. Most liberals understand this but it seems that most conservatives do not.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 19, 2013 10:00:30 AM

14. Where is his concern with the children of Gay families who are expelled from schools because of who their parents are?

Republicans only care when they're the victims. I'm also on his side when it comes to Phil Robertson's suspension, but the hypocrisy is what annoys me.

Posted by: Nellie | Dec 19, 2013 10:00:31 AM

15. Gov Jindal: hogwash! Nobody is saying Mr. Robertson doesn't have a right to his ignorant opinion. However, if he is suspended for doing damage to the show's brand, then that is merely free market capitalism punishing unwanted economic behavior. That is something you say you usually support.

Posted by: Andrew Knox | Dec 19, 2013 10:01:14 AM

16. I still can't believe that the lead in this story is NOT that he thinks black people were better off under Jim Crow laws. Seriously.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Dec 19, 2013 10:04:05 AM

17. With his sophomoric statement of support for Robertson, Louisiana Gov. Jindall has established his cred as the immigrant version of a good ol' boy Southern redneck bigot. Yep, he's a prime GOPer candidate for the US presidency.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Dec 19, 2013 10:07:23 AM

18. I realize my fellow "members of the club" will crucify me for this. This duck dude is entitled to his opinion. It was an interview and he expressed his beliefs. Are we to stop all people from expressing their views and beliefs because we don't agree with them? If you don't like his views, don't watch the show. I've never seen the show and never will. The first amendment is there for EVERYONE whether you agree the person or not. When you stifle the speech of one person they will come after you next. We as gay people need to pick our battles carefully and this is not one of them. There will always be people who hate us. The same as there are people who hate Catholics, Jews, conservatives and liberals.
    If every network fired every person who said something stupid at one time or another we'd all be watching dead air. Let's pick our battles, this isn't the one. Just my opinion, which I believe I am still allowed to express in an open forum. Now you can attack me, I'm an old fart I can take it.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Dec 19, 2013 10:08:24 AM

19. Bobby Jindal is a f***ing joke.

I think the fact that the governor of Louisiana is too stupid to understand what freedom of speech means is a very poor reflection on that state.

Bobby Jindal - too stupid to be governor.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 19, 2013 10:11:26 AM

20. People who mention the First Amendment need to understand that in no way whatsoever have Robertson's First Amendment rights been infringed.

In what way has the GOVERNMENT interfered with his ability to vocalise his evil opinions.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 19, 2013 10:12:55 AM

21. I hate this guy, there is nothing worse than the "smart" conservative moronic villain.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 19, 2013 10:15:36 AM

22. @GROW - I don't think you'll get crucified, although I must point out that there is no First Amendment issue here; he's not being censored by the government.

Personally, I don't care about the guy. If his network finds his statement embarrassing enough to fire him, then that's their choice. If they don't, well I was never going to watch show anyway. Either way, his stupidity speaks for itself.

Posted by: Merv | Dec 19, 2013 10:19:50 AM

23. Next will be "Duck Dynasty Day" at Chik-fil-a.

Posted by: Rad | Dec 19, 2013 10:22:48 AM

24. Poor Bobby, ever since his disastrous Republican response speech, when he came across like a mentally deficient Mr. Rogers, it's been apparent he's not very bright. The fact that he doesn't understand the basics of the First Amendment only drives the point home. He's not qualified to be in public office.

@I Won't Grow Up: Like Bobby, you need a 1st Amendment refresher course. No one stopped the idiot from expressing his beliefs. Expressing opposition to his beliefs is also free speech. If his TV bosses want to suspend him as a business decision, to protect their corporate interests, that's also their right. And not our problem.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 19, 2013 10:26:26 AM

25. I'd doubt he'd support every proposition under the face of the earth. There are many cases where when the table is turned the idea of free speech gets hammered by the right. I think "Piss Christ" was the most classic example.

Posted by: anon | Dec 19, 2013 10:33:01 AM