Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal Releases Statement Supporting ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star Phil Robertson

JindalLouisiana Governor Bobby Jindal was inspired to release a statement of support for Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson after Robertson was suspended for comparing gay sex to sex with animals, and homosexuals to drunks and terrorists who are going to Hell for their sins.

Jindal's statement:

“Phil Robertson and his family are great citizens of the State of Louisiana. The politically correct crowd is tolerant of all viewpoints, except those they disagree with. I don’t agree with quite a bit of stuff I read in magazine interviews or see on TV.  In fact, come to think of it, I find a good bit of it offensive. But I also acknowledge that this is a free country and everyone is entitled to express their views.  In fact, I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment. It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended "

Comments

1. Joe M says

That’s probably the worst statement I’ve ever seen by a supposed grown up, not not to mention an actual State Governor. It looks like it was written by a 14 year old.

2. Free Market says

So is Piyush Jindal endorsing Robertson’s remarks or not?

I wonder what Piyush would think if he heard what he thought about the advisability of letting brownskins into the governing classes.

Poor little Piyush. Fieldhand thinks he’s a Master.

3. Brian G says

If the Federal Government (or State or Local Government) somehow prevented or retaliated on what he said, then yes it’s a violation of the his First Amendment rights. A&E is a private company, free to set their own standards.

4. jOEY IN lcla says

Sure Bobby, I’m sure you will support wherever the money is….just remember, it was under your regime that the Louisiana constitution was amended to prevent us from marrying too. To the bone, he is a politician. A poor one.

5. Nellie says

Where is his concern with the children of Gay families who are expelled from schools because of who their parents are?

Republicans only care when they’re the victims. I’m also on his side when it comes to Phil Robertson’s suspension, but the hypocrisy is what annoys me.

6. Andrew Knox says

Gov Jindal: hogwash! Nobody is saying Mr. Robertson doesn’t have a right to his ignorant opinion. However, if he is suspended for doing damage to the show’s brand, then that is merely free market capitalism punishing unwanted economic behavior. That is something you say you usually support.

7. HadenoughBS says

With his sophomoric statement of support for Robertson, Louisiana Gov. Jindall has established his cred as the immigrant version of a good ol’ boy Southern redneck bigot. Yep, he’s a prime GOPer candidate for the US presidency.

8. I wont grow up says

I realize my fellow “members of the club” will crucify me for this. This duck dude is entitled to his opinion. It was an interview and he expressed his beliefs. Are we to stop all people from expressing their views and beliefs because we don’t agree with them? If you don’t like his views, don’t watch the show. I’ve never seen the show and never will. The first amendment is there for EVERYONE whether you agree the person or not. When you stifle the speech of one person they will come after you next. We as gay people need to pick our battles carefully and this is not one of them. There will always be people who hate us. The same as there are people who hate Catholics, Jews, conservatives and liberals.
    If every network fired every person who said something stupid at one time or another we’d all be watching dead air. Let’s pick our battles, this isn’t the one. Just my opinion, which I believe I am still allowed to express in an open forum. Now you can attack me, I’m an old fart I can take it.

9. MaryM says

Bobby Jindal is a f***ing joke.

I think the fact that the governor of Louisiana is too stupid to understand what freedom of speech means is a very poor reflection on that state.

Bobby Jindal – too stupid to be governor.

10. MaryM says

People who mention the First Amendment need to understand that in no way whatsoever have Robertson’s First Amendment rights been infringed.

In what way has the GOVERNMENT interfered with his ability to vocalise his evil opinions.

11. Merv says

@GROW – I don’t think you’ll get crucified, although I must point out that there is no First Amendment issue here; he’s not being censored by the government.

Personally, I don’t care about the guy. If his network finds his statement embarrassing enough to fire him, then that’s their choice. If they don’t, well I was never going to watch show anyway. Either way, his stupidity speaks for itself.

12. says

Poor Bobby, ever since his disastrous Republican response speech, when he came across like a mentally deficient Mr. Rogers, it’s been apparent he’s not very bright. The fact that he doesn’t understand the basics of the First Amendment only drives the point home. He’s not qualified to be in public office.

@I Won’t Grow Up: Like Bobby, you need a 1st Amendment refresher course. No one stopped the idiot from expressing his beliefs. Expressing opposition to his beliefs is also free speech. If his TV bosses want to suspend him as a business decision, to protect their corporate interests, that’s also their right. And not our problem.

13. anon says

I’d doubt he’d support every proposition under the face of the earth. There are many cases where when the table is turned the idea of free speech gets hammered by the right. I think “Piss Christ” was the most classic example.

14. UGH says

Nobody is denying him his First Ammendment rights. But the First Ammendment does not shield you from the consequences of what you say. You don’t get to say whatever you want and it go unchallenged. The person with an opposing view point also has the right to express their viewpoint as well. It is not a one way street. You would think Republicans, the great defenders of the Constitution would get this fact. I guess not. They are the first to attack people they disagree with.

15. Steven H says

Why is the Governor of Louisiana attempting to infringe on A&E’s First Amendment rights?

Oh yeah–I forgot–corporations only have a First Amendment right to fire (or refuse to serve) gay people; bigots, on the other hand, have a First Amendment right to never be side-lined. Duh! I forgot the Constitution said that!

The First Amendment specifically says, and I quote: “[The Government], with the sole exception of Bobby Jindal, shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances; unless they’re gay, or advancing the Gay Agenda, in which case, f@ck them.” -Signed, Geo. Washington, Tri-corner Hat Guy, and Jesus. July 4, 1776 Anno Dominoes

16. anon says

@ I WON’T GROW UP…. The first amendment is there to stop the GOVERNMENT from stifling the speech of an individual, no more. no less. The government hasn’t come after Mr Robertson for what he said. His free speech rights are still in tact. In fact, he can say all that same crap again if he wants to. The government won’t stop him.

17. Luke says

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera told “Fox & Friends” on Thursday that the suspension of Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson over his anti-gay remarks is “ridiculous” because his view was embraced by the “majority of people” until recently.

Rivera accused A&E of “victimizing” the 67-year-old.

“I want to say it’s ridiculous to suspend him over his remarks,” Rivera said. “He’s the ‘Duck Dynasty’ guy. It’s not like he’s teaching a public school in New York. Now, Honey Booboo, is she gonna get thrown off for talking about fat people?”

“I mean, it’s ridiculous,” he continued. “It’s political correctness that’s gotten malignant. It’s preposterous.”

“The reason people like that show, is that the family’s inseparable,” said “Fox & Friends” host Brian Kilmeade. “They truly love each other. The bond. How are they gonna allow the father to get suspended and continue with the show? Are they gonna pray with an empty chair at the head of the table?”

Robertson is the patriarch of the family, which owns and operates a business called “Duck Commander” in West Monroe, La.

“Putting aside the virtue of the family, the man has his opinion … it’s not my point of view, but it’s held by a lot of people and until recent decades it was held by a majority of people in the land,” Rivera said. “I think that it is ridiculous to hold him to the same standard as someone in a different line [of work].”

He said the fact that “they are country folk and bible folk … let them be.”

“That why they brought them there,” said co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

“That’s exactly why they’re on TV, for goodness sakes,” Rivera agreed.

In a GQ interview, Robertson called homosexual sex a sin and said it’s “not logical.” A&E suspended Robertson from the show indefinitely, stating that his remarks were “disappointing” and do not reflect the opinion of A&E Networks.

“I would have said something on the order of, ‘His views are vile, according to many people. We don’t agree. We don’t endorse his views, but he has the right to have his point of view,” Rivera said A&E should have said. “My fear is, by victimizing or targeting people like Robertson, what you do is you dilute the main message — the message of tolerance.”

“Cut the guy some slack,” he concluded.

18. Melissa says

I agree completely it should not be ok I suspend someone for having their own opinion. He showed no hate and people keep blocking where he said but I don’t treat them with any less respect and love all equally. He is a straight man that quoted the bible. If Miley and jersey shore crews can act and say whatever disgusting thifs they’d like as crewed as they are it’s amazing that a family man who believes in the 10 commandments that shows you can not agree with something but still love people- who is intolerant! Everyone in America is allowed freedom of religion and freedom of speech- who cares about the show it’s about the point he is getting so much hate for simply stating his views without hatred in his speech.

19. simon says

Probably the network has planned to cancel the show before his interview. It just gave them an excuse. The same is true in the case of Alex Baldwin. They know better that there is a vague clause in their contract which forbids them to do anything damaging the image of the network.

20. bobbyjoe says

Hey, Melissa, your “family man who believes in the 10 commandments” once beat up a woman.

And according to that recent interview Phil Robertson says he’s never apologized to her for it.

He still complains about how much money he had to pay for, well, beating up a woman, but he does say he’s “repented,” so that’s sure super, isn’t it?

In my neck of the woods, a man who was such an incredible lowlife that he beat up a woman would pretty much lose the right to dispense moral advice for the rest of his life, but I guess it’s different where you come from?

21. simon says

May be put it another way. TV business is extremely competitive. The network has no problem making another show or hiring another actor. That means actors are dispensable. May be he is not a “professional” actor, he may be a bit careless about these things. In the case of Alex Baldwin, he just can’t control himself.

22. says

How come so many right-wing American politicians have NO understanding of what the First Amendment actually is?

The government didn’t show up, nor did they send the police, to arrest that duck-killing bearded-bigot. THAT is what the first amendment being violated would have been.

23. Shelly says

Little Kiwi — I guarantee the politicians DO understand the First Amendment. They’re just stoking the outrage to their own advantage and leveraging their constituents’ ignorance of the Constitution as a way to do it.

24. Peter says

Dear Bobby Jindal:

Of course the “Duck Dynasty” guy has a right to publicly say what he feels. But he doesn’t have a right to immunity from criticism of his statements. Especially when they’re bigoted and offensive.

25. Lucas H says

The ignorant redneck’s remarks were one thing. But seeing the Governor open his mouth and refer to him as a “great citizen of Louisiana” is depressing, irritating, and embarrassing. Shut up, Jindal.

26. jjose712 says

I wont grow up; That’s exactly the point. There are still a good bunch of racist out there, but most of them are not going to tell you because they know it’s going to have consecuences.

Well, i want exactly that for homophobes

27. TonyJazz says

Jindal and Cruz should just say that they are proud to be homophobes.

Admit your hatred of us! You don’t need to hide behind religion to hate gay people.

Or they should be ashamed to be associated with a church that promotes bigotry and discrimination…….

28. BobN says

And here I was expecting Jindal to issue a statement in favor of meaty labia (or whatever Robertson’s point was about there being “more there”). Instead we get a stupid, literally stupid, statement that he remembers when TV believed in the First Amendment… which was when, exactly?

29. Paul says

I don’t get the comments here today. This Phil Duck guy voiced his opinions to a magazine reporter. They were not aired on A&E. He seems like a senior citizen from the Louisiana countryside who like many others was indoctrinated with bronze age superstitions in church. I read the article. He revealed himself to be ignorant and confused – but he said nothing hateful. He used no hateful language. Are we gays so brittle now that we cannot stand to have an old coot spout off his views without calling for him to lose his job?

30. Lulu says

Bobby Jindal, like Dinesh D’Souza, feel the need to distinguish themselves from other people of color by trying to be a part of the white establishment. Women are getting gang raped in their familial native India and they’re both commenting on “Duck Dynasty”…

31. Ready says

Aren’t all these people coming forward to complain about A&E disciplining their employee the same people who complained ENDA was an unfair intrusion into the rights of corporations?

32. Petur Workman says

Where is his outrage when a beloved teacher is fired simply for being gay? Is ole Bobby standing on the side of homophobia? Is he arguing that companies do not have the right to hold employees up to standards when representing the company – or is he only saying that when gay bashing an employee can not be fired?

33. says

Constitution of Louisiana, Article 1, Section 7: ” No law shall curtail or restrain the freedom of speech or of the press. Every person may speak, write, and publish his sentiments on any subject, but is responsible for abuse of that freedom.” Piyush’s own State Constitution requires taking responsibility for one’s speech and press. He is the same doofus who coldheartedly created hardships for LANG (Louisiana National Guard) troops in the name of that same Constitution — before he backed down. A demagogue of the worst order, a Brown University biology major who supports creationism being taught in schools.

34. Andy says

He has a point about Miley Cyrus. She gets to sing about drugs and debauchery and run around like a cracked out pervert. She has not been banned from TV and a lot of people find that offensive.

I don’t agree with this guy, but I’m against censorship. If he said kill or burn gays – whole other story! But he prefers a vagina to anus. Big deal.

There are worse things going on in our world. I’m more concerned about the scum who carjacked and killed a man in front of his wife at a New Jersey mall a few days ago.

People pay attention to the wrong things these days.