Crime | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Student Beaten in Alleged Hate Crime by Gang of Hasidic Men: VIDEO

PattersonA fashion student claims he was attacked by a gang of Hasidic men on December 1 on the way home from a night out partying, the NY Daily News reports:

Taj Patterson, 22, was headed home to Fort Greene around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 when he says more than a dozen ultra-Orthodox Jewish men began assaulting him on Flushing Ave. and yelling, “Stay down, f----t!”

“I’m walking down some block by myself and then the next thing I know, I’m surrounded by a group of Hasidic Jewish men and they’re attacking me,” Patterson said. “I was alone. I was an easy target. I’m black. I’m gay, a whole slew of reasons.”

Patterson was “highly intoxicated, uncooperative and incoherent,” after the assault, according to a police complaint — but he remembers the ringleader.

A bus driver said she witnessed the attack. Patterson suffered a broken eye socket, a torn retina, and cuts and bruises.

An NBC News report says the hate crime unit of the NYPD is investigating the attack but makes no mention that Patterson is gay or the anti-gay slurs.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hasidic Jews? How bizarre!

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 10, 2013 12:13:03 PM

2. Not bizarre, lets turn the knockout game racist meme around! Someone needs to break up these GANGS!

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 10, 2013 12:22:27 PM

3. I doubt the perps will be brought to justice on this. If and when indictments are handed down, they'll all hop on El Al and go to Israel.

Posted by: chasmader | Dec 10, 2013 12:28:25 PM

4. Not bizarre at all. Those cultists are the ones harassing little girls in Israel as they walk to school, screaming whore at them because they think their school uniforms are too revealing. They terrorize a lot of people around the world and they have taken over parts of New York like street gangs.

Posted by: RayJacksonMS | Dec 10, 2013 12:41:31 PM

5. The barbaric experience brought to you be the encouragement of blood thirsty hate mongers such as Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, Brian Brown and the rest of the grotesque pieces of trash that belong to Anti-gay Inc. Hitler would be so proud of these particular rabid animalistic/barbaric Hasidic Jews.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 10, 2013 12:45:59 PM

6. Oh please. Look at the trashy anti-Semitism in these comments. Haven't you learned by now to wait for the full story? You would think the lesbian waitress fiasco that was revealed to be a hoax just LAST WEEK would be enough to teach you people to wait until you know the whole story. I find it very hard to believe that a drunk, belligerent guy just happened to be randomly assaulted like this and that was all there is to it, and I personally refuse to believe that there was NOTHING more to it simply because we're both gay.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 10, 2013 12:46:38 PM

7. I agree with Joey Y. It is true that Hasids tend to be super-homophobic, but they also tend to keep to themselves, at least here in NYC. It would be better to wait until the whole story comes out before jumping to conclusions. Even if the victim couldn't remember anything, and he may have blacked out and made some remark that set them off or something.

Posted by: AJD | Dec 10, 2013 12:52:59 PM

8. @Joey, are you at all familiar with the Hassidic community in Brooklyn? They have a laundry list of problems coming out and all are obscured by dogmatic neighborhood practices. That girl who was raped, then shamed and beaten for reporting the rape, by her neighbors? That Rabbi guy who tried to bring a rapist to light and got acid splashed in his face? The girls who have been pelted with rocks for biking around the area?

Sure there are great things that happen there too and nobody is saying all Hassidic or Jewish people are like that. The BK scene is akin to a ghetto and like ghettos, there is an underbelly that will never be totally exposed. The neighborhood shouldn't be condemned for the actions of a few but it is naive to think that everything there is perfect and fine.

Also nice victim blaming, how dare he be drunk when he gets attacked in a hate crime, I GUESS HE WAS ASKING FOR IT RIGHT? Your comment is the worst, you even say you personally have decided not to believe aspects of the story, YOU WOULD MAKE A GREAT DETECTIVE.

Posted by: Fenrox | Dec 10, 2013 12:58:36 PM

9. Cyclist Captures Harassment on Camera in South Williamsburg

Posted by: sugarrhill | Dec 10, 2013 1:04:33 PM

10. I grew up in the West Village. I would get hit on by Hasidic men in SUVs all the time when I was in my teens. It stopped around the time I turned 20.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 10, 2013 1:29:46 PM

11. When I say "hit on" I mean that a Hasidic guy in an SUV would pull up to me and basically ask for me to have sex with him.

Posted by: Clay | Dec 10, 2013 1:30:43 PM

12. I hope Mr Patterson recovers quickly. I hope even more that there was no damage to his eye.

If Mr Patterson was noticeably intoxicated it shouldn't have taken a group of men to subdue him (or knock him down). It was a gang attack and beating-- meant to cause physical damage. I've been through that.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 10, 2013 1:41:06 PM

13. Never ever walk home alone late at night. While no one ever asks to be beaten, mugged, raped, or murdered, to do other than what I suggested is not being very smart.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Dec 10, 2013 2:08:52 PM

14. Lol! This is funny! Werk!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 10, 2013 2:10:20 PM

15. Hey Rick, everyone knows the real LittleKiwi would not find anything about this story funny. As our resident bigoted troll, you seem incapable of subtly stealing other commenters names and posting unkind things using them.

If you're going to troll, at least troll well. Or perhaps don't bother. Or, even better, screw off!

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 10, 2013 2:30:21 PM

16. Hey Rick, everyone knows the real LittleKiwi would not find anything about this story funny. As our resident bigoted troll, you seem incapable of subtly stealing other commenters names and posting unkind things using them.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 10, 2013 2:30:21 PM

17. Hasidic vigilantism is nothing new in NYC. It has occurred in Brooklyn frequently, Hasidics against random Black men and a few women. Been going on since at least the late 1970's and virtually ignored by NYPD or dismissed by them without much investigation. One hopes that if this story is true, and it seems to be, then the NYPD go into the Hasidic stronghold, find those gang members, arrest then prosecute them.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 10, 2013 2:30:52 PM

18. Ultra orthodox Jews are like fundamentalist Muslims, (or Christians) so no surprise there.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUHT | Dec 10, 2013 2:39:22 PM

19. Hasidic men don't even exercise. How could they beat anyone up?

Posted by: anon | Dec 10, 2013 2:41:08 PM

20. I recall seeing a gang of Hasidics with banners saying "God sent AIDS to punish gays".
    That was years ago.
    I made my mind up about them then.
    No reason to change my mind here.
    Hate is their currency.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Dec 10, 2013 2:50:12 PM

21. Good point Anon. I'd love for one of those creeps to try that bullsh1t with me--they're so inbred and unhealthy. I'd fvcking clobber them.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Dec 10, 2013 2:51:38 PM

22. Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by Mr. AutoCensor....

D@mn. This is like a game of rock-paper-scissors. Black beats Jew. Jew beats Gay. And Wh¡tey kicks everyone's @.$.$.

Posted by: Derrick From Philly | Dec 10, 2013 3:08:20 PM

23. Rick,

you are ridiculously out of control today.

I would never want to post a comment under your name. You've got me where I can't stand the name Rick.

In fact, you may be stopping me from having my first romance (or just sex) in almost 8 years. There's a guy that kinda'...well, maybe he likes me. But his name is Rick. I cringe everytime I think of his name. I'm going to email him today and ask him if he'll allow me to call him Richard. THat'll help.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 10, 2013 3:24:15 PM

24. So when the victim is black we should wait for more facts? I really hate the gay community sometimes.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 10, 2013 3:27:00 PM

25. @Derrick

There's no doubt something criminal occurred, but yes, waiting for facts is the logical thing to do. lol ffs.

Are you Black or ghetto Black btw?

I'm just kidding !! <3