Books | Film | News | Sofia Coppola

BigGayDeal.com

Sofia Coppola to Adapt Gay-Themed Memoir 'Fairyland'

Fairyland

Fairyland: A Memoir of My Father, is headed to the big screen with Sofia and Roman Coppola producing and Sofia Coppola and Andrew Durham co-writing the screenplay, ScreenDaily reports:

Sofia Coppola and Roman Coppola will produce the film. Sofia Coppola and Andrew Durham will co-write the screenplay.

Fairyland is a coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of San Francisco’s cultural scene in the 1970s and ’80s, both before and after the AIDS epidemic. Abbott’s father, the poet and gay activist Steve Abbott, would later die of AIDS.

Said Coppola:

"It’s a sweet and unique love story of a girl and her dad, both growing up together in 1970’s San Francisco. I think it will make an engaging and touching movie on a subject I’ve never seen before."

Our book critic Garth Greenwell agreed. Check out his review of the book HERE if you missed it.

Comments

1. The title's offensive. And so's Coppola's lack of talent. If she didn't have that surname, she'd be folding sweaters in a GAP.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Dec 18, 2013 9:05:35 AM

2. I've d like some of her films, as to the title, it's the book title, I'll hold my thoughts on it.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 18, 2013 9:32:54 AM

3. "Rick" will enter shortly to demand that the title be changed to "Ultra-Masculine Gay Country"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2013 10:55:19 AM

4. I heard the author interviewed on Teri Gross' Fresh Air on NPR... the author was painfully self-absorbed & the least interesting thing about the whole book.

I actually think b/c the Coppolas are basically San Franciscans that they/she will do a better job than many on this.

With San Francisco in a starring role, it would be difficult to miss regardless.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Dec 18, 2013 11:02:22 AM

5. A young woman who nursed her loving father through the horrendous end of life which AIDS provided pre-HAART can call her memoir anything she freakin' pleases. The book detailed a tender but sometimes tumultuous relationship which lasted decades. Edmund White devoted part of his most recent memoir to describing the relationship. No doubt the self-hating gay studio chiefs are bound to change the title if the film ever really gets released.

Posted by: DrMikey | Dec 18, 2013 11:45:09 AM

6. I actually read the book. I couldn't put it down. "Fairyland" lovingly refers to her world context growing up in San Francisco, specifically: the gay rights movement of the 60s and 70s, and the magic place that San Francisco was at that time, i.e., the Summer of Love and hippie movement in Haight Ashbury (where she lived). A place that it can never be again. The whole point of the book is that the gay rights movement of this time is so important that it should be taught as American history, not as just gay history. As a kid she went to beat poet readings in SF (Ginsberg, Kerouac) and marched with Harvey Milk for gay rights. It was Fairyland in the best possible way.

Posted by: Diogenes | Dec 18, 2013 12:07:13 PM

7. It's a wonderful read, and I'm a rather big fan of Ms. Coppola's cinematic sensibilities: i dig this project!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 18, 2013 12:08:32 PM

8. Sounds interesting. How about "Not Another AIDS-crisis Movie set in SF" for a title? Now, I believe these stories are important, don't get me wrong. But how about OTHER times in history or circumstances. Every gay media related project these days seems to be:

1. Oh to be white and single in NY
    2. Oh to be young and in the closet (anywhere)
    3. The AIDS crisis (NY/SF)

In 2013, AIDS/HIV stories are still important to tackle, specially with all the BB displayed everywhere now. I'm just not sure the "historic" approach is resonating with kids these days.

Posted by: Felix | Dec 18, 2013 12:36:19 PM

9. I really enjoyed reading this book. Her dad was, like some of us, flawed but awesome. She exhibited amazing strength and understanding.

Posted by: deedrdo | Dec 18, 2013 1:03:10 PM

10. Well FELIX it's up to HER as an artist to spend her time, money and effort to deliver a film project that SHE wants to do...not YOU.

If you a frigging stranger tried to tell me what I should do with my career? I'd kick your sanctimonious, selfish and irrational rear end.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 18, 2013 3:05:52 PM