BigGayDeal.com

Airline Provides Passengers with a Christmas 'Miracle': VIDEO

Westjet

Passengers on two recent flights to Calgary had their Christmas wishes granted in spectacular fashion with a visit from a very generous Santa and his helpers. CTV News reports on the elaborate plan WestJet Airlines crafted to spread a bit of holiday cheer to its customers (and create a bit of viral good will for itself in the process):

Prior to their departure from airports in Toronto and Hamilton, WestJet passengers had the opportunity to speak with a virtual Santa Claus and confide their Christmas wishes to the electronic St. Nick.

While the flights containing the unsuspecting passengers flew across the country, WestJet staff members in Calgary compiled a list of the requests and raced from store to store purchasing the items.

When the planes touched down at the Calgary International Airport, the guests were greeted at the baggage carousel with wrapped parcels containing the items they had asked Santa Claus for mere hours earlier.

Check out WestJet's video of the elaborate plan, AFTER THE JUMP...

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 11.57.13 AM

Comments

1. Where is the story about HIV bone marrow patients still having HIV? you guys are SLOW sometimes.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 10, 2013 2:09:52 PM

2. @Patrick

They're probably saving it up for the afternoon news dump. :(

It's frustrating that some important news stories that deserve the attention their own posting would generate are lumped together to be dumped in the afternoon in the combined news post, while stories about celebrities and "fluff" get their own postings.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 10, 2013 2:30:26 PM

3. They were obviously dreaming of a "white" xmas…not a single non-aryan in the bunch.

Posted by: StudioTodd | Dec 10, 2013 2:32:46 PM

4. Both of you need to get a life. Period. Do you have to piss on every good story?

Posted by: UGH | Dec 10, 2013 2:33:01 PM

5. I agree about pissing on a feel good story. But...it's just an bod advertisement so it doesn't exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Posted by: DrKRL | Dec 10, 2013 2:37:18 PM

6. Add STUDIOTODD as the third b*tcher. Dude, I saw some non-aryan's in the shots. Grow up.

Posted by: UGH | Dec 10, 2013 2:37:55 PM

7. I wonder if anyone asked for wider seats, more legroom and cheaper tickets?

Posted by: UmYeah | Dec 10, 2013 2:47:05 PM

8. Nic gesture, good PR, what's with the blue?

Posted by: Jeff York | Dec 10, 2013 2:51:50 PM

9. JEFF: I think it is because Westjet's logo is blue.

Posted by: UGH | Dec 10, 2013 2:54:56 PM

10. Jeff, it's the company color.

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 10, 2013 3:20:28 PM

11. I would want to die if I was that guy who asked for underwear and socks lol

Posted by: JMC | Dec 10, 2013 3:26:55 PM

12. Regardless of the Debbie Downer comments...since I am a total sap at this time of the year, I was getting a little choked up. Especially when the people were getting flights home for the holidays. Yes, totally good PR, but that was really awesome to see some of those reactions!

Posted by: C.J. | Dec 10, 2013 3:34:48 PM

13. I disagree that I made a "downer comment". I happen to appreciate positive stories, even if they are ads, sometimes. What I do get tired of is dumping important stories that actually might be directly related to the LGBT community into the afternoon news dump where they are very likely to get lost. What I would much rather have is to post all of the stories that directly relate to the LGBT community as individual posts, and keep all of the "fluff" for the afternoon news dump. A s it is, this site doesn't appear to be able to decide what it is. I understand the need to drive page views, and I understand that Towleroad has always been "more than gay news", but there is so much more "fluff" these days that important LGBT news often gets pushed into the news dump.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 10, 2013 4:21:14 PM

14. Beautiful story! Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Andy for posting this wonderful, heart-warming video! I love when you post things like this... keep up the great work.

Posted by: Marc | Dec 10, 2013 5:04:22 PM

15. Hey UMYEAH, do you know anything about WestJet at all? Literally - do you know anything about the airline?

I happen to be a former WestJetter, and since it's likely you don't know, they are the low-fare leader in Canada, opening up travel options that did not exist prior to them coming on the scene in 1996. Additionally, the people of Canada kind of love WestJet. A lot of that has to do with hating Air Canada, but again - I worked in the headquarters and you didn't. So take your completely uninformed opinion elsewhere, k?

Posted by: DN | Dec 10, 2013 6:01:15 PM

16. Loved this story!!!

Posted by: Thurts | Dec 10, 2013 6:08:18 PM

17. This is just a guess, but perhaps the decision to post certain things as individual stories is when they have video content to link to, rather than just a news blurb - which perhaps the editors here think is more appropriate for the news round-up.

Meanwhile, though this is advertising through and through (yep, never heard of Westjet till today), I still teared up. And I learned a valuable lesson: Never ask Santa for socks & underwear; always go for the expensive electronics ... even if it makes me look greedy to Old St. Nick.

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 10, 2013 6:12:44 PM

18. @StudioTodd: Seriously? WestJet can't control the race or ethnicity of passengers who purchased seats on these two flights.

Posted by: alex | Dec 10, 2013 6:22:40 PM

19. What does the guy who asked for a warm scarf feel like when he sees the other guy hauling away his new big-screen TV? The only thing wrong with this promotion was, the more greedy you were, the more you were rewarded.

Posted by: bierce | Dec 10, 2013 6:56:20 PM

20. OMG, I need to fly WestJet to LA to see Ellen so I can get presents from WestJet and then again from Ellen for the 12 Days of Giving!

WestJet's pretty cool though, what other airline would have done that? None. Exactly.

Posted by: dumbnhung | Dec 10, 2013 8:19:49 PM

21. Fun Facts about Westjet:

-They are the lowest fare of any of the airlines that I know of in Canada.

- The flight attendants seem to care (I'm 6'8" tall and they went out of their way to get me a new seat assignment for a later flight so I would have more leg room)

- To bring a little bit of Magic, they just spent a small fortune painting one of their planes to look like Disney World.

- They are always expanding (They recently announced flying to Ireland)

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 11, 2013 2:11:18 AM

22. I'm amazed at the work and initiative it took to do this. I'm sure the WestJet workers received much more Christmas joy than they dispensed.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 11, 2013 11:16:31 AM

23. "Add STUDIOTODD as the third b*tcher. Dude, I saw some non-aryan's in the shots. Grow up."

I defy you to point out one single person on that flight or receiving the Xmas swag that wasn't white. The only non-white people shown at all (and they were few) were in service roles.

I just would have thought that in this day, someone in the marketing department would have paid a bit more attention to something as glaring as this. Diversity is important.

Posted by: StudioTodd | Dec 12, 2013 7:47:21 PM