Nature | News

Bidder Pays $350,000 to Kill Endangered Black Rhino

Auction

A permit to hunt an endangered African black rhino (4,000 remain in the wild, approximately) sold for $350,000 at a controversial auction last night, the Guardian reports:

RhinoSteve Wagner, a spokesman for the Dallas Safari Club, which sponsored the closed-door event Saturday night, confirmed the sale of the permit for a hunt in the African nation of Namibia. He declined to name the buyer.

The Safari Club's executive director, Ben Carter, has defended the auction, saying all money raised will go toward protecting the species. He also said the rhino that the winner will be allowed to hunt is old, male and nonbreeding and that the animal was likely to be targeted for removal anyway because it was becoming aggressive and threatening other wildlife.

But the auction drew howls from critics, including wildlife and animal rights groups, and the FBI said it was investigating death threats against members of the club.

Watch the Dallas Safari club executive director Ben Carter try to defend the auction on CNN, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hey, if I offer $700K, can I hunt down Paul Ryan and Chris Christie?

Posted by: dommyluc | Jan 12, 2014 10:45:56 AM

2. Why people want to kill other living things is beyond me. I still haven't gotten over having to "put down" (murder) my dog five months ago, and I waited too long as it was.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 12, 2014 11:14:52 AM

3. They're raising money to protect a species by killing it? Gotta luv gun nut logic

Posted by: johnny | Jan 12, 2014 11:19:53 AM

4. @Paul R, putting down your dog is a humane thing that people have to do, it is not murder so dont even give us that PETA nonsense. Rhino hunting is murder.

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 12, 2014 11:23:17 AM

5. Only a diseased mind finds pleasure in "sport" killing.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 12, 2014 11:25:18 AM

6. And he can write it off on his taxes...so the average taxpayer really payed for this....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 12, 2014 11:25:42 AM

7. Johnny, it reminds me of the federal and state "Duck Stamp", a stamp printed with a beautiful painting of a beautiful bird that is affixed to a license to kill said beautiful birds.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 12, 2014 11:33:51 AM

8. These are the kind of people who think the planet is theirs.
    It's awful. Bastard.

Posted by: woody | Jan 12, 2014 11:45:31 AM

9. @Jerry, yeah I get that. But paying to wathch someone to kill something you've loved for 13 years is still difficult. I'm not a PETA fetishist. I just don't like death. Sorry.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 12, 2014 11:46:53 AM

10. "They're detrimental to the population when they get old like that. They're like a cranky old man." Watch out Senator McCain, we may be on a slippery slope here.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 12, 2014 11:57:02 AM

11. "They're detrimental to the population when they get old like that. They're like a cranky old man."

Gads, don't kill it -- it's the next Republican presidential nominee.

Posted by: Hunter | Jan 12, 2014 12:10:56 PM

12. I'm old, male and nonbreeding too. Should I be worried?

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Jan 12, 2014 12:14:42 PM

13. @HUNTER, it wouldn't be the Republican nominee, it is a BLACK rhino.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jan 12, 2014 12:17:48 PM

14. A lot of the cranky old men around here have something to be worried about!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Jan 12, 2014 12:24:22 PM

15. Texas...stay classy

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Jan 12, 2014 12:46:26 PM

16. Take a baseball bat to Ben Carter's head, smash it upside and crack his skull open. Castrate him. String him up by his thumbnails. Go after any of those tiny-dicked gun-suckers. The black rhino is nearly extinct and those gunholes are auctioning off a chance to kill one. Kill the gun-nuts of the Dallas Safari Club. All of them. They're the ones who need to go extinct.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 12, 2014 12:52:16 PM

17. "They're like a cranky old man."

So the future of most of us here is to be shot?

Posted by: Randy | Jan 12, 2014 12:56:21 PM

18. The Safari Club has the International Wildlife Museum here in Tucson. Total scam. They go on safaris, kill animals, donate one of the animals to the museum's collection, and get to write off everything on their taxes. Basically, the rest of us are subsidizing their hobby of killing large mammals. These people are evil.

Posted by: homer | Jan 12, 2014 1:19:05 PM

19. What is it about these men (and some women) that feel the need to kill an animal? I see something alive in nature and that's the farthest thing from my mind. I own property and we have deer that we see from time to time. I would never think "I Must kill that".

About the only time I want to kill anything in nature is a mosquito or fly that is bugging me or ants that get into the house.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 12, 2014 1:24:15 PM

20. just a group of rich self indulgent assholes killing something as beautiful as this. i got a better idea why don't they join the army at least there the targets get to shoot back. please texas hurry up and secede the sooner your gone the better and smarter the country will be

Posted by: walter | Jan 12, 2014 1:55:37 PM

21. I wish I could hunt these hunters.

Posted by: Carl | Jan 12, 2014 1:57:59 PM

22. IF they have already picked out the old ones that one may kill, then this is not sport. This is not hunting, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Twisted and sick individuals.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 12, 2014 2:16:26 PM

23. Idiots out species have been hunting for thousands of years deal with it. And btw its about honor and trill of the hunt tho a bunch of sissies like y'all wouldn't know anything about that.

Posted by: Lee | Jan 12, 2014 2:17:25 PM

24. It's an "old, male, non-breeding" black rhino justifies the need to gun it down in a hunt? Oh and it happens to be rare.

Gotta love the non-sensical explanation of these gun nuts. What also gets me is the lack of a spine many of these African nations have in stopping foreigners from using their country as a shooting range.

Posted by: ny2.0 | Jan 12, 2014 2:27:45 PM

25. So Ben Carter says the rhino will be "old, male, non-breeding".

That's sort of like the clutch purse calling the pumps taupe, isn't it?

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 12, 2014 2:44:50 PM