Cecil Chao Withdraws Million-Dollar Offer to Suitors of Lesbian Daughter Gigi

Following the publication of an open letter from his lesbian daughter Gigi yesterday, Hong Kong billionaire Cecil Chao has withdrawn his multi-million dollar offer to any man that can successfully woo her, CNN reports:

ChaoCecil Chao, a wealthy real estate developer, made headlines around the world in 2012 when he offered 500 million Hong Kong dollars (roughly $65 million) to any man who succeeded in marrying his daughter.
 $64M to marry my gay daughter

Recent reports that he was willing to double the offer put his family back in the headlines…

…"If Gigi's said that this is what she chooses, then it's all over," Cecil Chao said Thursday an interview with CNN's Monita Rajpal. He said the huge sum he had offered to potential suitors "stays in my pocket."

But the 77-year-old tycoon, who has three children but has never married, is unable to embrace his daughter's love life.

"I can't say I am happy with her choice," he said. "If this is her choice then it's for her."

And he said he wouldn't be welcoming Eav, 46, into his family, despite his daughter's plea.

Said Gigi in the letter:

"I am comfortable and satisfied with my life and completely at ease with her. I know it’s difficult for you to understand how I could feel romantically attracted to a woman; I suppose I can’t really explain it either. It just happens, peacefully and gently, and after so many years, we still love each other very much. My regret is that you have no idea how happy I am with my life, and there are aspects of my life that you don’t share."

Comments

1. David From Canada says

The billionaire is too controlling and has too much time on his hands when he is involved in silliness such as this. I suspect some of it is also a publicity stunt. Enough!

2. WOLF says

I like how people who are intolerant or anti-gay cling to the word “choice” for dear life. It is not a choice for me and many others who are LGBT. Insisting that it is means you are calling a large group of people all liars and that is the behavior of indoctrinated childish brat. You are calling your daughter a liar. If she grew up a liar, guess whose fault that is? Yeah, that’s you, dear Cecil.

3. Joe M says

What a lovely response from the daughter.

“I suppose I can’t really explain it either. It just happens, peacefully and gently, and after so many years, we still love each other very much.”

Well gee, I think you just did.

4. Hey Darlin' says

“But the 77-year-old tycoon, who has three children but has never married”

He’s NEVER been married!

Well of course that should give him all the credentials needed to rule over someone else’s partnership.

5. Chris L. says

This father needs to realize that his daughter has chosen the same thing that he’s chosen: someone to love, take care of, support and spend her entire life with.

6. WOLF says

@Chris L. It is more like he has chosen a lot of people to love, but never to spend his life with someone, as he clearly doesn’t do the marriage thing himself.

7. StevyD says

That he would accept someone who would be attracted to her for $65 million, but not accept someone who is attracted to her because of who she is, only shows the depravity that lies in the heart of his soul.

8. SpaceCadet says

Some parents unfortunately are stuck in their ignorance and bigotry. Fortunately for me and many others, I have loving parents that only care that I am happy in my life and who it’s with does not matter. Much happiness to this young lady and it seems she already found a great partner.

9. Deal says

And what I kept thinking was: That multi million dollar sum being frivolously used against his daughter’s dignity and the dignity of LGBTs everywhere (since this is international news) could be used to help LGBT youth, struggling adults, and seniors…
    That money could do a lot of good instead of sitting in that old homophobic windbag’s wallet.