Coachella Lineup Announced

Coachella

Outkast, Muse, and Arcade Fire will headline this year's Coachella music festival in Indio, California which takes place the weekends of April 11-13 and April 18-20.

The L.A. Times adds: "Additionally, Coachella will mark the West Coast return of the Replacements, the scrappy 1980s indie rock outfit that unexpectedly reformed in fall 2013. The act broke up on stage in Chicago in 1991. Beloved rock acts such as Neutral Milk Hotel and the Afghan Whigs will also make a rare live appearance at Coachella."

There had been rumors that U2 might headline Coachella this year but so far, no dice.

Comments

1. Paul R says

They should stick to one weekend and fewer bands. Attending this would be a nightmare if some of your favorite bands were one weekend and others, the next. I love the Replacements, but they put out their best stuff 30 years ago…so I can live without seeing them.

Per usual, I haven’t heard of most of these bands. Every year the lineup makes me feel a bit older.

2. Jay says

Paul Coachella happens in one weekend. You can checkout these bands on soundcloud, rdio or even youtube. The best music is not what’s mainstream, which today is pretty much bad pop, rap and hip hop.

3. don't a tell la says

I see more musical diversity in one weekend than in a years worth of music columns on towleroad.

and I don’t even like some of those musicians listed.

4. crispy says

Paul, the entire lineup plays both weekends.

As someone who has attended Coachella, the real problem becomes when bands you like are playing at the same time on separate stages. Running back and forth across that polo field while dodging inebriated hipsters in order to catch both acts is a workout.

Contrary to what many believe, Coachella isn’t about knowing the lineup. It’s about discovering new artists. When I went in 2010, I fell in love with several bands that I only knew tangentially.

You and I have similar tastes based on comments you’ve made in the past. I think you’d like Chvrches and older stuff by The Knife. I would go this year just for The Knife.

5. Rob says

Bastille is absolutely awesome! If you haven’t heard them, start with “Pompeii” and “Things We Lost in the Fire.” Then check out some of their covers, like “What Would You Do” and “No Scrubs.” Love them!

6. Paul R says

Crispy, I do love the Knife. (Though I love Fever Ray more.) I just can’t get too excited about music festivals anymore. I do regret missing Bauhaus perform Bela Lugosi’s Dead with Peter Murphy hanging upside down many years back. But I’ve had enough experiences with Lollapalooza and similar events to suppress any desire to be in large crowds with poor views…

Is having the same bands perform twice a new approach? Obviously I missed that.