Chris Cuomo | Dennis Rodman | Kim Jong-Un | News | North Korea

Dennis Rodman Explodes at CNN Host in Interview from North Korea: VIDEO

2_rodman

Former NBA player Dennis Rodman exploded at CNN's Chris Cuomo when challenged about his trip to North Korea and asked why he wouldn't discuss human rights abuses and the detention of Kenneth Bae with dictator Kim Jong-Un. Rodman is on a trip with 11 American basketball players to entertain the North Korean despot for his birthday.

Screamed Rodman:

"Kenneth Bae did one thing ... If you understand what Kenneth Bae did. Do you understand what he did in this country? No, no, no, you tell me, you tell me. Why is he held captive here in this country, why? ... I would love to speak on this...You know, you've got 10 guys here, 10 guys here, they've left their families, they've left their damn families, to help this country, as in a sports venture. That's 10 guys, all these guys here, do anyone understand that? Christmas, New Year's ... I don't give a rat's ass what the hell you think. I'm saying to you, look at these guys here, look at them ... they dared to do one thing, they came here."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

It was not Rodman's first confrontation with reporters on the reasons for his trip. He was challenged by a group of reporters in the Beijing airport over the weekend and asked the same question Cuomo asked.

Said Rodman: "That's not my job...This game is for his birthday...That’s not the right thing to do. He’s my friend first. He’s my friend. I don’t give a s--t. I tell the world: he’s my f--king friend, I love him.”

Comments

1. Rodman is anidiot!

Posted by: John | Jan 7, 2014 9:51:29 AM

2. I hope KJU - gets mad at this nitwit and Feeds him to the dogs......I wont complain.

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 7, 2014 9:58:16 AM

3. NBA not NFL right?

Posted by: JD | Jan 7, 2014 10:01:14 AM

4. Who?

Posted by: Lucca | Jan 7, 2014 10:02:14 AM

5. This man is most likely being paid a large amount of money to be the "friend" of this nasty little tin pot dictator.

Rodman should be shunned in polite society; supporting this vicious regime in any way is not acceptable.

Good on the journalists who aren't cowed by celebrity or bullying tantrums.

Keep on at him and more some until he stops his involvement with this regime.

North Korea is not a joke, its people suffer greatly, its "ideology" is poison and it is a danger to other countries in the region.

Rodman needs to stop being a clown for a moment and be humbled by the stories of the many many Koreans who have suffered at the hands of his "friend" and the Kim family.

Posted by: arch | Jan 7, 2014 10:02:36 AM

6. *NBA

Posted by: Jerry West | Jan 7, 2014 10:08:48 AM

7. Rodman is (was) a basketballer, not a football player...

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jan 7, 2014 10:09:00 AM

8. I can't wait for the Academy Award winning movie 20 years from now that reveals Rodman was a CIA operative collecting intel the whole time.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 7, 2014 10:09:46 AM

9. I think he's an idiot at the bare minimum, and should be shunned. But--that said, why don't the journalists question those in power with the same ferocity about things, like, well, water boarding? Obstructionism in Congress? Any of a number of abuses in power that are ruining our country?

They can be as ferocious as they want with him, because he's an idiot, and not important as far as money or influence go. Once they have their punching bag, then they can throw him away like a used condom. He's worth just about that much for palling around with that little despot, so I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

But really---where is this kind of tough questioning in regards to the important issues facing our country?

Posted by: kdknyc | Jan 7, 2014 10:12:48 AM

10. Black trash. Why don't we find out how much those guys are getting PAID to entertain that family-murdering despot?

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Jan 7, 2014 10:16:00 AM

11. I feel like the media love to go after Rodman because he is inarticulate and not the most well-informed person. They see him as an easy target to score points. George Stephanopoulos did the same thing after his first visit to North Korea. The problem is - what about all of our captains of industry who do business with China? Last time I checked they had a less than stellar record on human rights. Also what about our government's connections with Saudi Arabia? Not just the Bushies - even now we're constantly holding hands with the Saudis too. Where is the media calling out this behavior?

Don't get me wrong Rodman is an idiot and North Korea is a horrible place, but let's look at the hypocrisy here and start asking the media why only certain people get called on these things? Seems like a disingenuous way to score easy points.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 7, 2014 10:16:11 AM

12. It's the NBA, not the NFL.

Posted by: Ryno5656 | Jan 7, 2014 10:16:32 AM

13. Maybe Rodman wants to move to N. Korea permanently. I hear there's a vacancy for an "uncle" position in the government.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 7, 2014 10:23:46 AM

14. For Rodman - Korea is the only game in town.

Posted by: robertL | Jan 7, 2014 10:24:18 AM

15. Rodman was in the NFL??

Posted by: Todd | Jan 7, 2014 10:31:10 AM

16. Who cares whether it's the NFL, NBA,ABC, DHL, or Fed Ex.

He's in a belligerent country which threatens war on the South at a whim, executes and imprisons at will and abuses and tortures its own people.

What the F**k is this big mouth there for in the first place ?

Could he be any more despicable ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 7, 2014 10:35:28 AM

17. The cigar in his hand makes this all the more cartoonish.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 7, 2014 10:37:37 AM

18. @ "Black trash. Why don't we find out how much those guys are getting PAID to entertain that family-murdering despot?"

Wow, Phil Robertson found his way to Towleroad.

Shouldn't you be out hunting ducks, honey? Well, I guess you more concerned about the family of the murdering despot. Did you know his uncle personally?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2014 10:41:57 AM

19. Why do dudes like him always need to have a 'crew' surrounding him? Hood mentality. Is it supposed to intimidate people? Just annoys me and makes me think he's really a big (censored P word).

Rodman is just desperate for the $. Most of his 'friends' and crew would disappear in a flash without it.sad.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 7, 2014 10:42:25 AM

20. He is as HIGH as a kite. What an ass!

Posted by: ken | Jan 7, 2014 10:47:01 AM

21. "Why do dudes like him always need to have a 'crew' surrounding him?"

Uh, I don't know, maybe because those are the former NBA players and members of the basketball team that traveled with him.

Not defending him or them, but your comments are more retarded (and racist, if that's possible) than usual.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 7, 2014 11:04:18 AM

22. Rodman's always been a cheese sandwich short of a picnic. He and Allen Iverson would make for a special couple.

Posted by: mikey1078 | Jan 7, 2014 11:06:27 AM

23. Look, I don't like the North Korean murderer, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Dennis Rodman.

Rodman was a sexual/gender role rebel going back to the 1990s. People said he was physically ugly, and many Black folks called him a "freak" (because of his gender role non-conforming flamboyance).

No, he's no f.cking statesman. He's just a flamboyant celebrity...semi-celebrity.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 7, 2014 11:24:27 AM

24. Stupid, washed-up, washed-out, broke, has-been jocks.

It's like making a film of disabled people and then mocking them.

Also, from the media's perspective, where is the "concern" for gays and lesbians in Russia, and the United States participation in the Winter Olympics? Hypocrisy makes the world go 'round.

Posted by: Spinnin' | Jan 7, 2014 11:31:03 AM

25. @KDKNYC, the media did try to ask questions about torture. The problem was that the main people they wanted to ask (Cheney, the head of Guantanamo, etc.) rarely gave interviews, the few they did give were with sympathetic conservative outlets (Fox), and the others with mainstream media were tightly controlled. As in, the interviewers were told to avoid certain topics, and if they didn't the interview ended right there. Yes it was pointless, but it wasn't the fault of the interviewers.

As for questions about Congressional obstructionism, those get asked every day. Both parties just blame the other. Not to mention, it's already pretty clear why it's gotten so bad. The Republicans have to kowtow to their tea party faction, and many resent having a black president and figure they might as well impede progress since so many Americans disapprove of them anyway.

As for Rodman, yes he's clearly on drugs in this interview. Derrick, I appreciate your sympathy given his devil-may-care attitude in the 90s, but what was surprising and amusing at first quickly became self-parody. He was also screwing Madonna and other celebs for much of that time, as another way to get attention. Now he just seems unbalanced.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 7, 2014 11:45:51 AM