GOProud | Jimmy LaSalvia | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

GOProud Co-Founder Jimmy LaSalvia Leaves the Republican Party

Jimmy LaSalvia, founder of the conservative gay group GOProud, has left the Republican Party, he writes on his blog:

LasalviaToday, I joined the ranks of unaffiliated voters. I am every bit as conservative as I’ve always been, but I just can’t bring myself to carry the Republican label any longer. You see, I just don’t agree with the big-government ‘conservatives’ who run the party now.

The other reason I am leaving is the tolerance of bigotry in the GOP. The current leadership lacks the courage to stand up to it – I’m not sure they ever will.

I have worked hard to help to create an atmosphere on the right where conservatives can openly support gay Americans and even support same-sex marriage. In that effort, we have won, but there is more work to do to root out the anti-gay and other forms of bigotry in the party.

So I changed my voter registration today – “No Party.”

LaSalvia now calls himself an "independent conservative".

Comments

1. Big whoop !!!

Posted by: jhr459 | Jan 14, 2014 7:40:27 AM

2. it must really suck to spend money and time supporting peeps who HATE you. too bad, sounds like he's still gonna be doing just that.

Posted by: Dan | Jan 14, 2014 7:51:10 AM

3. Oh, NOW he realizes it. Gives the rest of us all the more pleasure to say, "we told you so!"

Posted by: andy3433 | Jan 14, 2014 7:51:43 AM

4. So the main reason was "big government"? Not the fact that his contemptible Republican counterparts would gladly see him carted off to jail, and think of him as a hell-bound sinner?

Posted by: Chris | Jan 14, 2014 7:55:07 AM

5. Yawn.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 14, 2014 7:58:01 AM

6. I suspect that Jimmy had someone up in his face with the facts that the majority in the leadership of the GOP don't give one f*ck about him.

Of course he is anti-big gubbmint. Until, that is, he might need some kind of assistance. But he has lived a long time on the graciousness of the conservatives in the LGBT community. I don't know how they will feel about donating to his work now.

Marcus, go back behind your glitter curtain.

Posted by: bkmn | Jan 14, 2014 8:05:10 AM

7. translation:
    "i still want to eat off the plates of poor people."

Posted by: woody | Jan 14, 2014 8:08:29 AM

8. He sure took a long time to figure all that out. Now he can be an independent idiot instead of an affiliated one.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 14, 2014 8:09:52 AM

9. His parents still hate him I bet.

Posted by: MaryM | Jan 14, 2014 8:37:30 AM

10. Cut the guy some slack, at least he's moving in the right direction.

It may take a while for the repub slime that coated him to completely dry up and flake off, however.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 14, 2014 8:39:38 AM

11. So I guess the true test will be this November. Will he vote for Republicans or Democrats? If he votes only for Republicans (which will mostly likely be the case), he isn't an independent, he is a Republican.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jan 14, 2014 8:39:40 AM

12. Note to gay Republicans:
    Your "friends" in the Party will flatter you when face-to-face to get your vote, but behind your back, they'll still ridicule, insult, and legislate against your interests.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Jan 14, 2014 8:43:15 AM

13. Whatever our differences, our struggle is helped by support of Republicans, even ones your or I normally don't agree with. Equality is a civil issue, not a polictal issue, and the more Republicans can feel comfortable supporting equality, even if they have different views on the economy or foreign policy, the better. There should be room for gay republicans in this world. LaSalvia has taken positions I don't agree with, and his personality seems to sometimes be more brash than Chris Christie, but I'm appreciative of any effort to help repblicans understand that equality isn't a political issue.

Posted by: JoeBlow | Jan 14, 2014 8:53:54 AM

14. His frosting needs a touch up, and I won't even go there about the facial wasting.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Jan 14, 2014 9:01:23 AM

15. Translation: The bigots hate me and won’t accept me but I don’t have enough money to join the self-hating, deluded, I got mine screw everyone else, Peter Thiel, libertarian wing of the Rethuglican party.

Posted by: KevinSF | Jan 14, 2014 9:25:35 AM

16. whenever someone says "i'm independent" I think of Herme, Santas helper who wanted to be a dentist. No doubt this tool will show his "independence" by voting Republican in coming elections.

Posted by: ian | Jan 14, 2014 9:37:13 AM

17. Oh, so now instead of being a self-hating gay Republican, he is a self-hating gay independent.
    Hey, LaSalvia, do gay people a big favor: resign from the human race. You'll make us all look better, gay or straight.

Posted by: dommyluc | Jan 14, 2014 10:30:04 AM

18. He's still a quisling.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Jan 14, 2014 10:37:25 AM

19. Jimmy Who? And he matters why?

Posted by: Justin | Jan 14, 2014 10:39:50 AM

20. What happened here????

Did he get evicted from the rock he was living under????????

Posted by: PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS | Jan 14, 2014 10:50:55 AM

21. while i loathe the spinelessness this man has displayed for years, this actually could be the first step to LaSalvia actually becoming a real man, as opposed to a cowardly boy who toes the line to save his own ass. the GOP's anti-gay anti-woman stances have always been abhorrent - but it's nice to see a calling out of the reality that they are, indeed, the "big government" party that they claim to *not* be.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2014 11:23:03 AM

22. Yawn

Posted by: Fahd | Jan 14, 2014 11:42:34 AM

23. "I have worked hard to help to create an atmosphere on the right where conservatives can openly support gay Americans and even support same-sex marriage. In that effort, we have won"

Blanche, please. How have you "won" that? Like, at all?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2014 11:46:39 AM

24. How can a group called "GOProud" be run by an independent voter?? Or did he quit that post?

Posted by: anon | Jan 14, 2014 11:54:33 AM

25. he's no longer with GOProud (ha, that name gives me the giggles. Eunuch Pride!) - after leaving he's done the tv-circuit, inventing wholly-fabricated stories about being "attacked by black youths"

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 14, 2014 11:57:30 AM