GOProud Co-Founder Jimmy LaSalvia Leaves the Republican Party

Jimmy LaSalvia, founder of the conservative gay group GOProud, has left the Republican Party, he writes on his blog:

LasalviaToday, I joined the ranks of unaffiliated voters. I am every bit as conservative as I’ve always been, but I just can’t bring myself to carry the Republican label any longer. You see, I just don’t agree with the big-government ‘conservatives’ who run the party now.

The other reason I am leaving is the tolerance of bigotry in the GOP. The current leadership lacks the courage to stand up to it – I’m not sure they ever will.

I have worked hard to help to create an atmosphere on the right where conservatives can openly support gay Americans and even support same-sex marriage. In that effort, we have won, but there is more work to do to root out the anti-gay and other forms of bigotry in the party.

So I changed my voter registration today – “No Party.”

LaSalvia now calls himself an "independent conservative".

Comments

1. Chris says

So the main reason was “big government”? Not the fact that his contemptible Republican counterparts would gladly see him carted off to jail, and think of him as a hell-bound sinner?

2. bkmn says

I suspect that Jimmy had someone up in his face with the facts that the majority in the leadership of the GOP don’t give one f*ck about him.

Of course he is anti-big gubbmint. Until, that is, he might need some kind of assistance. But he has lived a long time on the graciousness of the conservatives in the LGBT community. I don’t know how they will feel about donating to his work now.

Marcus, go back behind your glitter curtain.

3. johnny says

Cut the guy some slack, at least he’s moving in the right direction.

It may take a while for the repub slime that coated him to completely dry up and flake off, however.

4. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

Note to gay Republicans:
    Your “friends” in the Party will flatter you when face-to-face to get your vote, but behind your back, they’ll still ridicule, insult, and legislate against your interests.

5. JoeBlow says

Whatever our differences, our struggle is helped by support of Republicans, even ones your or I normally don’t agree with. Equality is a civil issue, not a polictal issue, and the more Republicans can feel comfortable supporting equality, even if they have different views on the economy or foreign policy, the better. There should be room for gay republicans in this world. LaSalvia has taken positions I don’t agree with, and his personality seems to sometimes be more brash than Chris Christie, but I’m appreciative of any effort to help repblicans understand that equality isn’t a political issue.

6. KevinSF says

Translation: The bigots hate me and won’t accept me but I don’t have enough money to join the self-hating, deluded, I got mine screw everyone else, Peter Thiel, libertarian wing of the Rethuglican party.

7. ian says

whenever someone says “i’m independent” I think of Herme, Santas helper who wanted to be a dentist. No doubt this tool will show his “independence” by voting Republican in coming elections.

8. dommyluc says

Oh, so now instead of being a self-hating gay Republican, he is a self-hating gay independent.
    Hey, LaSalvia, do gay people a big favor: resign from the human race. You’ll make us all look better, gay or straight.

9. says

while i loathe the spinelessness this man has displayed for years, this actually could be the first step to LaSalvia actually becoming a real man, as opposed to a cowardly boy who toes the line to save his own ass. the GOP’s anti-gay anti-woman stances have always been abhorrent – but it’s nice to see a calling out of the reality that they are, indeed, the “big government” party that they claim to *not* be.

10. says

“I have worked hard to help to create an atmosphere on the right where conservatives can openly support gay Americans and even support same-sex marriage. In that effort, we have won”

Blanche, please. How have you “won” that? Like, at all?

11. says

he’s no longer with GOProud (ha, that name gives me the giggles. Eunuch Pride!) – after leaving he’s done the tv-circuit, inventing wholly-fabricated stories about being “attacked by black youths”

12. says

” big-government ‘conservatives’”???

Has he not been paying attention to the Republicans fixation on cutting every aspect of the social safety net? Or, maybe he’s talking about the hundreds of billions that the House GOP so gleefully gave to big business in the form of subsidies?

If it’s the latter, he couldn’t have spoken more poorly. If it’s the former, he’s worse than the Tea Party and a psychopath to boot.

13. UGH says

Rodney: and also the hundreds of billions they spent on that unnecessary war in, where was it again, oh yeah Iraq! They ballooned the debt on that but the minute a Democrat got back in the White House, they are all remembered they were fiscal conservatives and “we’ve spent too much on this and that (not our war though), cut, cut, cut it’s your fault Obama we have so much debt!”

14. says

also worth noting – it wasn’t until *after* LaSalvia and his partner-in-shame Chris Barron left GOProud that the group adopted their first-ever (and i DO mean “FIRST-EVER”) pro-gay stances, on *anything*

15. Louis says

Bravo!

I am not as conservative as you but I do applaud your decision. There is a point where bigotry becomes overwhelming.

I hat that within the GOP in 2000.

You have a higher threshold than I do.

16. Dan says

Yes, GOProud. These are the people who felt they needed to form a new organization because the Log Cabin Republicans were too liberal for them! Isn’t that wild! For those mornings when you can’t find your keys, or have done something absent-minded, you realize that people like GOProud members are put on earth so you can say to yourself: “Well at least my brain isn’t that scrambled!” I hope he overcomes whatever upbringing made him adopt such a hateful agenda and finds his way out of the dark.