Michael Grimm | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

GOP Rep. Michael Grimm Physically Threatens NY1 Reporter After 'State of the Union': VIDEO

Grimm

Following last night's State of the Union, Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY) (who made our headlines yesterday after he signed on as a co-sponsor of ENDA) physically threatened NY1 reporter Michael Scotto.

2_grimmGrimm was angered after Scotto mentioned an ongoing campaign finance investigation surrounding his 2010 campaign

NY1 posted a transcript of the exchange, which was partially caught on camera:

Grimm: "Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f-----g balcony."

Scotto: "Why? I just wanted to ask you..."

Grimm: "If you ever do that to me again..."

Scotto: "Why? Why? It’s a valid question."

Grimm: "No, no, you're not man enough, you're not man enough. I'll break you in half. Like a boy."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Grimm released a statement following the incident:

“I was extremely annoyed because I was doing NY1 a favor by rushing to do their interview first in lieu of several other requests. The reporter knew that I was in a hurry and was only there to comment on the State of the Union, but insisted on taking a disrespectful and cheap shot at the end of the interview because I did not have time to speak off-topic. I verbally took the reporter to task and told him off because I expect a certain level of professionalism and respect, especially when I go out of my way to do that reporter a favor. I doubt that I am the first member of Congress to tell off a reporter, and I am sure I won’t be the last."

Grimm represents Staten Island and part of Brooklyn.

(via jmg)

Comments

1. Well he expects a certain level of professionalism and respect but is not prepared to give it. That's called entitlement.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 29, 2014 7:35:38 AM

2. Clearly Grimm is a graduate of the Alec Baldwin School of Interviewing.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 29, 2014 7:49:21 AM

3. Is Michael Scotto gay? Seems like that's the implication the bully is trying to make.

Posted by: Phil | Jan 29, 2014 7:50:33 AM

4. Michael Grimm is so handsome. Where have you been all my life, daddy?

Posted by: jason | Jan 29, 2014 7:52:05 AM

5. I'm siding with Rep. Grimm on this one. The reporter was out of line.

Posted by: David | Jan 29, 2014 8:18:41 AM

6. He "expects a certain degree of professionalism"? Which profession -- pro-wrestling?

Posted by: kit | Jan 29, 2014 8:19:13 AM

7. Good luck on your next job. Just another Republican thug.

Posted by: Marq | Jan 29, 2014 8:26:21 AM

8. Rep Grimm is a public servant. He should have answered the question. .however brief. He isn't forced to run for office. The question was reasonable and legitimate for a Rep.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Jan 29, 2014 8:27:30 AM

9. And what's really disturbing is that Grimm obviously thought the camera was off at the time of the thuggish threats.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Jan 29, 2014 8:32:09 AM

10. He was there to deliver pre-written Republican talking points, so going off script would have gotten him in trouble with the House leadership.

Posted by: anon | Jan 29, 2014 8:39:39 AM

11. he's a bully that simple

Posted by: capetom | Jan 29, 2014 9:02:12 AM

12. The reporter was out of line. I appreciate the Congressman's very human response. I'm guessing most of us would have a similar reaction as well.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 29, 2014 9:24:49 AM

13. No, Jon, you're wrong. Most of us would NOT have a similar reaction.

Posted by: Bryan L | Jan 29, 2014 9:37:04 AM

14. If he had enough time to go back to berate and threaten the reporter then he had enough time to answer the original question.

Posted by: ladi | Jan 29, 2014 9:48:22 AM

15. There are plenty of guys like this. I remember when I was living in Philadelphia in the 90s, one member of City Council threatened to throw another one out a window. Just because you're a politician doesn't mean you're not a bully.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 29, 2014 10:03:44 AM

16. It's nice he is co-sponsoring ENDA, but that does NOT excuse threats of physical violence, especially considering that he is in a position of power over the other individual.

Posted by: JC | Jan 29, 2014 10:17:33 AM

17. That's crayyyyyyzyyyyyy!!! Dude, what a moron. Has he never been told to reply to crap like that with "no comment"? And he is still running his mouth.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jan 29, 2014 10:46:11 AM

18. A bully in politics? Unheard of!

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 29, 2014 10:58:59 AM

19. If you're siding with Grimm you're an idiot. He should have said no comment and left it at that. His behavior was completely unacceptable and there's clearly homophobic/sexist undertones in what he said.

Posted by: Not That Rob | Jan 29, 2014 12:44:05 PM

20. I know some journalists who are "man enough" to ram a microphone up Grimm's rectum.

Wonder if he wants a piece of them?

Posted by: Quote Me | Jan 29, 2014 12:59:39 PM

21. In less time than it took him to vocalize two threats to the reporter, he could have simply said, "Sorry, I'm only here to comment on the union address."

And THAT would have been respectful and professional.

Posted by: sparks | Jan 29, 2014 1:03:43 PM

22. He's a bully and an idiot and his apology smacked of entitlement. If you have ever been a reporter, you know that you must ask the questions, even if they are hard, which in this case, they were not. If you are a member of the House of Representatives, excuse me, but you are 100% open to scrutiny at all times. There is a reason that the Press is referred to as The Fourth Estate. In our sound bite, tightly controlled, stay-on-message world, we have forgotten this. Screw this guy. The reporter was simply doing his job. End of.

Posted by: ED | Jan 29, 2014 3:56:21 PM