Goldie Hawn | News | Nigeria

Goldie Hawn Talks About Her Handshake with the 'Barbaric' Nigerian President: VIDEO

2_hawn

Goldie Hawn sat down with HuffPost Live at Davos to talk about how horrified she was when she realized, after posting a photo of a handshake with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan to Twitter earlier this week, how "barbaric" his policies toward LGBT people are.

Hawn says she was uninformed about the anti-gay law that Jonathan had recently signed into law and said that the photo "had every right to cause an uproar."

Added Hawn: "It breaks my heart because I have my own personal feelings about this. This is man's inhumanity to man of the first order....It's more than ridiculous, it's barbaric."

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Goldie Hawn has also travelled to Russia to listen to Putin sing. She probably has no clue about his policies, either, and just thought his singing was wonderful.

Posted by: borut | Jan 25, 2014 11:20:32 AM

2. It's great that she expresses regret over this... I like her ...again!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jan 25, 2014 11:24:51 AM

3. Jeez. Looking rough.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 25, 2014 11:24:54 AM

4. Thank you Goldie!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jan 25, 2014 11:31:03 AM

5. Thank you Goldie!!!!!!!

Posted by: Tom | Jan 25, 2014 11:31:04 AM

6. i love Goldie and have complete trust in her support of the gay community - she's a smart caring lady and she gets it.

Posted by: bryan | Jan 25, 2014 11:33:12 AM

7. It's because she didn't think minorities could be gay....sad...

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 25, 2014 11:38:06 AM

8. It still bogles my mind at how few people even hear about this stuff. Yesterday had to educate a friend on the homophobia in Uganda ("Kill The Gays Bill") and all that. At work when I said I was not going to watch the Sochi Olympics people acted as if they had no idea what was happening there. "But its the Olympics!"

Posted by: Trasker | Jan 25, 2014 11:48:17 AM

9. Thank you for clarifying, Ms. Hawn! I thought this had to be the case and it's good to have it confirmed. Yes, it is surprising perhaps how many people don't know what's going on in Africa, but she's educated now, and that's what matters.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Jan 25, 2014 11:52:53 AM

10. @ Trasker I feel the exact same way and encounter the same level of ignorance

Posted by: Will | Jan 25, 2014 11:56:53 AM

11. That's because most straight people don't care about LGBT rights, Trasker. Sad, but true. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing--being anti-gay doesn't register with most, anymore. But neither does being actively pro-gay, either. Most straight people just don't care because it doesn't really affect them directly, or their closest friends.

Anyway, I appreciate Goldie Hawn apologizing.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 25, 2014 12:03:58 PM

12. I trust her. I believe her explanation. It contrasts the defensive attitude from the One Direction kid Liam unknown last names classless, defensive rants of a few days before.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 25, 2014 12:04:39 PM

13. None of us should be surprised at how stupid people are about the rest of the world. If they aren't the center of that world they pay little to no attention. Mariah Carey runs off and performs for dictators for the cash despite the fact that these dictators kill thousands of people. Goldie Hawn is old enough (as she proves here quite nicely) to know exactly what she is doing and she was willing to meet the guy for the sake of the bad/good publicity it would bring here. Had she not met and posted their picture would she be all over the news? No. It's always me me me with these faded celebrities and that is really pathetic. The sooner she fades out of the limelight the better.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jan 25, 2014 12:04:56 PM

14. It probably really isn't her fault that she didn't know. Its the fault of the news media. Unless you specifically follow news of interest to the gay community I guarantee you have not likely heard of any of this. Sad but I don't think we can blame Goldie especially after years of being and advocate for the LGBT community. Clearly her apology is heartfelt.

Posted by: BCNKC | Jan 25, 2014 12:25:07 PM

15. Most people including white gays think gay minorities don't exist...

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 25, 2014 12:30:28 PM

16. She did what we asked yesterday. Speak out. Lend her voice.

Thank you Goldie. From the LGBT community here in the US for our helpless brothers & sisters in Nigeria. We can't do this alone. When any marginalized group is scapegoated the world needs to speak out. This set of circumstances ending with Goldie Hawn saying she had no idea about the atrocities LGBT face in Nigeria showcases the greater failure of mass media to inform.

Nigerian President Goodluck was invited to participate in an international gathering of business & civic leaders and no one challenged him about the atrocities he endorses against his countrymen in the name of religion. But for an innocent tweet and an LGBT supporter making her aware she would have gone on unawares as does much of the American populace.

We in the LGBT community have been calling out the deteriorating situation in Africa since before the laws were introduced. When Lively & co first started making trips there. More than two years this has been brewing and major media says nothing. Call out their failure Ms Hawn. Help raise an international voice against this barbaric treatment of innocents.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 25, 2014 12:38:10 PM

17. I still love you, Goldie.

Posted by: JMC | Jan 25, 2014 12:38:46 PM

18. I'm glad to see that she's taking this issue so seriously.

Posted by: Sergio | Jan 25, 2014 12:52:47 PM

19. What was she doing at Davos anyway?

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 25, 2014 2:02:21 PM

20. If I didn't seek out gay news, I would know NOTHING about what's happening in Nigeria. I haven't seen it covered once in mainstream news. So blame the media on their lack of coverage on these atrocities.

Most of you gays wouldn't know sh*t either if all you followed was mainstream media, so stop judging. A 70 year old straight woman probably doesn't make a constant effort to keep up on gay events, like 99% of most straight people in this world.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Jan 25, 2014 2:24:37 PM

21. 1) I believe her

2) the interviewer is gorgeous

Posted by: tranquilo | Jan 25, 2014 2:28:53 PM

22. Goldie is a class act.

Posted by: Lukas | Jan 25, 2014 2:44:01 PM

23. Ms. Hawn need to talk with her publicist then, just so she can at least be a little more informed about what's going on in the world. I refuse to believe that Goldie Hawn was unaware of Nigeria's extremely repressive policies against LGBTQ people. I don't but it. I don't accept her apology. Those days are gone where a rushed apology, an insincere mea culpa, for a stupid comment that never should have been said is accepted without question. Sorry, Goldie. I ain't buyin' it.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 25, 2014 2:57:06 PM

24. I believe her. And if anything, her stupid mistake is giving the horrific situation in Nigeria some additional press here in the US.

Posted by: Lexis | Jan 25, 2014 3:12:27 PM