Jonathan Groff | Looking | News

Jonathan Groff is Wet and Buff and Looking: PHOTO

Groff

Jonathan Groff, who stars in the gay HBO drama Looking, which premieres this Sunday, talks about filming the show in a new OUT magazine interview:

For Groff, who first visited the city two years ago, San Francisco feels like “the gay Oz.” He says he was particularly struck by the legend that San Francisco became a gay haven for sailors returning from the Pacific after World War II: “It was the last port of call for all the guys in the Navy, and the ones who were gay just stayed there because they didn’t want to go back to their lives.” Groff adds that the show’s three-month shoot, which took the characters to well-known San Francisco haunts like the Stud, the Café, and El Rio, was like a dream. “The street where I was staying smelled like jasmine,” he says. “I rode my bike every day to set. I was in heaven.”

“Our show is less about people at the beginning in their twenties figuring out who they are,” says Groff, “and more about people stepping into their lives in their thirties and forties and finding their place in the world.”

More insight on the show from director Andrew Haigh and other members of the cast here.

For all of our updates on Looking, including behind-the-scenes videos, trailers, and more, click over HERE.

Comments

1. And cue the angry commenters complaining that the cast is all white.

Oh my God, Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 15, 2014 12:55:59 PM

2. Saw the premier last night. It's just queer as folk but with beards . It's probably relevant to you if you're around 30 and not married.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Jan 15, 2014 1:11:00 PM

3. Jonathan be HOT!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jan 15, 2014 1:17:11 PM

4. Phew.

I was really worried that the plight of fit and attractive guys in San Francisco would never reach people.

Guys: this TV show is our new Rosa Parks/Stonewall/Shoah.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 1:21:32 PM

5. BTW, The Cafe is were tourists go when they come to SF.
    People who live here don't go there.

Posted by: David | Jan 15, 2014 1:22:09 PM

6. Also, calling San Francisco "the gay Oz" is like calling Wayne Brady "the black Tyler Perry."

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 1:27:02 PM

7. I'm giving the show a chance but not having my hopes up. Urban white men pondering if having an open relationship or not is pretty much every queer web series out there.

Posted by: Felix | Jan 15, 2014 1:32:57 PM

8. Ha! To say Looking is Queer As Folk with beards is like saying GIRLS is Sex And The City with tattoos.

Posted by: Jon Dough | Jan 15, 2014 1:33:06 PM

9. @Jon Dough:

Yes. And?

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 1:36:10 PM

10. Best photo of him I've ever seen.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jan 15, 2014 1:44:13 PM

11. Unfortunately the "all white" thing is just another way of saying "same old same old". Yes, Queer as Folk with beards.

Posted by: TheSupremes | Jan 15, 2014 1:57:12 PM

12. I would love it if this is the Girls for gays but I'm worried it is going to be much more serious to be that.

Posted by: bicuriousus | Jan 15, 2014 2:00:05 PM

13. I'm super excited for this, hopefully it brings more LGBT run shows to cable/broadcast if it does well!!

Posted by: Cory | Jan 15, 2014 2:04:01 PM

14. I don't think it's that flattering a photo. :/

Posted by: Randy | Jan 15, 2014 2:06:28 PM

15. He's so cute but someone was generous buffing him up with the photoshop.

Posted by: S. | Jan 15, 2014 2:18:00 PM

16. As long as i know, one of the three main characters is latino, or the all white is because there's no black main character?

Frankly the all white comments are a little tiresome because it doesn't indicate absolutely nothing about the quality of the show.
    On the other hand in the USA there are clearly a lot more white gays that any other races

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 15, 2014 2:20:08 PM

17. i'd much rather see freddy j. alvarez in a tank top.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 15, 2014 2:32:46 PM

18. “'The street where I was staying smelled like jasmine,' he says."

Are you sure they shot this in San Francisco?

Everywhere I go in San Francisco, the streets smell like urine.

Posted by: J. Adams | Jan 15, 2014 2:40:20 PM

19. Let's be realistic here. If there are no man bits being shown, it will tank.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 15, 2014 2:55:12 PM

20. Very nice.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 15, 2014 2:56:36 PM

21. He must have never left one city street, because for every clean gentrified street there is one covered in urine and feces adjacent to it.

And seriously, only an elite few can afford to live in that city, even the poor have to be rich.

Posted by: brandon h | Jan 15, 2014 3:25:58 PM

22. Some people just live to complain. Big deal - in this narrative, his friends are mostly white. I'm sure there will be black cast members, and probably a black love interest also. Who cares? My circle of friends, in a huge city, is almost all white. Did I actively seek that out? No, but it just happens to be who lives and works near me with common interests.

Posted by: Hrm | Jan 15, 2014 3:51:41 PM

23. So much all-white whining! Give it a rest all you constipated folks with that dried-battery dildo. So what if SF's population is mostly white with a large Asian minority. A talented Latino actor is also co-starring in the show....Sheeesh!

Posted by: Sam | Jan 15, 2014 4:00:34 PM

24. I was an extra in two scenes (one shot in the Cafe - a gay bar in the gay Castro District and another shot on Castro Street). All of the extras were actual gay San Franciscans, not actors. Certainly the look and feel of the actors and extras is spot on for life here in the City. It is refreshing to see a show set and filmed in a part of the world other than LA or New York and to see gay characters who actually act like real gay people, not flamboyant and unrealistic 1970's gay stereotypes.

Posted by: DB | Jan 15, 2014 6:16:11 PM

25. I don't care about the lack of diversity but the lack of a creative premise: White, urban gay men dealing with, wait for it, relationships. What's new? what's the angle? oh, they have iPhones.

Posted by: Felix | Jan 15, 2014 6:20:27 PM