Nature | News | Piers Morgan

Man Who Bid $350,000 to Kill African Rhino Now Feels Hunted

Knowlton

Last week we reported that the Dallas Safari Club had auctioned the right to kill an endangered African Black Rhino to an anonymous bidder for $350,0000.

The bidder was later identified, through Facebook, as Corey Knowlton.

Knowlton defends his decision and says he feels attacked and threatened for what he is doing, and has received death threats, he told WFAA:

“I’m a hunter,” Knowlton told WFAA. “I want to experience a black rhino. I want to be intimately involved with a black rhino. If I go over there and shoot it or not shoot it, it’s beyond the point.”

Watch him talk to Piers Morgan, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If he can Kill a Rhino with his bare hands- then I say - "Go for it" ...but if the man needs a Gun to kill it....then NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 17, 2014 10:26:37 AM

2. He seems like a prick.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 17, 2014 10:27:34 AM

3. Not he seems like a prick, he IS a prick!

Posted by: Mike | Jan 17, 2014 10:34:35 AM

4. He's more than a prick if he equates shooting an animal with being "intimately involved" with it.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 17, 2014 10:34:47 AM

5. Hilarious that he has been identified.

What type of appalling loser would spend so much money for the 'pleasure' of killing an endangered species?

Posted by: MaryM | Jan 17, 2014 10:35:26 AM

6. "If I go over there and shoot it or not shoot it, it’s beyond the point." No, actually shooting it IS the point!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 17, 2014 10:36:00 AM

7. Hunting is unethical and this guy kicks it up a couple notches. Just do an image search for his name. Most of those animals seem young and fertile to me. The bad press and the threats are well deserved.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 17, 2014 10:36:40 AM

8. "I’m a hunter, I want to experience a Knowlton. I want to be intimately involved with a Knowlton. If I go over there and shoot it or not shoot it, it’s beyond the point.”

Posted by: Boris | Jan 17, 2014 10:38:54 AM

9. Someone genuinely upset about death threats doesn't continue posting to "Public" on Facebook.

He loves this attention.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 17, 2014 10:39:31 AM

10. Disgusting TRASH. There's a difference between hunting for food and hunting for fun.

"I don't hate them, I respect them.." Except the endangered species you plan on hunting.....

Posted by: Cory | Jan 17, 2014 10:42:01 AM

11. Some poor animal going about it's day and some stupid human shoots it out of the blue. Hunting is disgusting. Period.

Posted by: Will G. | Jan 17, 2014 10:49:02 AM

12. Interesting how concerned he is about death threats. I can only imagine how freaked out the Rhino would be if he knew this guy was coming after him with a gun!

Posted by: Willy | Jan 17, 2014 10:54:26 AM

13. He and his family should NOT be getting death threats. Having said that, he is an ignorant jerk.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 17, 2014 10:56:28 AM

14. Hunting is unethical? lol I wonder how many people that think hunting is unethical support abortion. Too bad your caveman ancestors' genes survived to produce a fool like yourself.

Posted by: Perry | Jan 17, 2014 10:57:24 AM

15. Interesting how he characterizes the criticism against him as "urban" sentiment.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jan 17, 2014 11:02:38 AM

16. Boy has he been coached.

Posted by: legalbegal | Jan 17, 2014 11:05:22 AM

17. karma would be he misses and the rhino charges and gores him

Posted by: Moz's | Jan 17, 2014 11:13:59 AM

18. The fact that he can write it off as a tax exemption is equally offensive...The Rich stay Richer...

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 17, 2014 11:22:51 AM

19. He threatens to kill an innocent rhino. Gets annoyed when people threaten to kill him.

Posted by: David | Jan 17, 2014 11:25:45 AM

20. Would love to hear that the rhino gored him.

But this coward will no doubt be using a high-power rifle from quite a distance, likely from a vehicle, and will never be in any danger at all.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 17, 2014 11:26:58 AM

21. Wow, he's having repercussions for his actions? How sad.

You know what? When you do something people have the right to react to it. You don't live in a vacuum.

Posted by: Daniel | Jan 17, 2014 11:44:31 AM

22. having a flashback to "9 to 5" where jane fonda fantasizes about hunting dabney coleman around the office.

not all hunting is unethical. this bloodsport is

Posted by: jaker | Jan 17, 2014 11:55:18 AM

23. So he wants to experience all that hunting is: time for him to be the prey.

Posted by: Thor | Jan 17, 2014 12:00:21 PM

24. how does one "experience" a black rhino? is he planning on screwing it?

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jan 17, 2014 12:01:45 PM

25. So. I am a veterinarian and a vegan. I typically don't support hunting as it is many times not necessary. However, many times it is. This is usually due to over population. If these animals are not removed, they will either starve or in many situations begin harming other species that are needed. In the case of the black rhino, there have been a number of individuals that have been identified to be removed as they are hindering other males from breeding. Instead of it costing them money to remove theses animals themselves, they offered someone to buy its removal via a hunting permit. There is nothing unethical about this. I think if people were better educated about the situation, there would be much less blow back.

Posted by: Seansie | Jan 17, 2014 12:04:56 PM