Carmen Carrera | Katie Couric | Laverne Cox | News | Transgender

Laverne Cox and Carmen Carrera Enlighten Katie Couric on Gender Identity: VIDEO

Carrera

Trans model Carmen Carrera and Orange is the New Black actress Laverne Cox appeared on Katie today and offered Katie Couric some guidance on gender identity, advising Couric to steer away from a fixation on "private parts" to that of identity and humanity.

Carrera pointed out that in interviews with trans people, interviews "always focus on either the transition or the genitalia" and "there's more to trans people than just that."

Cox joined the interview later and pointed out the disproportionate discrimination and violence that trans people face, adding "by focusing on bodies we don’t focus on the lived realities of that oppression and that discrimination."

Watch the interviews, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via autostraddle)

Cox

Comments

1. I am so proud of both of these women. They were so amazingly well spoken and informative. They truly did the Trans and the entire LGBT community proud.

I'm particularly impressed with Carmen's growth and maturation since her time on Drag Race. She seems to have grown up quite a bit.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 7, 2014 10:54:33 PM

2. I didn't know of either of these women, but wow, just wow. They are role models for all of our possibilities.

Posted by: dixichuk | Jan 7, 2014 11:29:51 PM

3. Katie: but people are *really* interested in your penis, and did it hurt? ... I don't think Katie was coming from a terrible place. Sadly, her narrative is about as sensitized as most on this issue. That's why it's so great to suddenly see trans people speaking for themselves in the media... and not just the oversimplified I-was-a-woman-trapped-in-a-man's-body story, where the "man" finally becomes a "woman". There's so much pressure here to push ourselves into the binaries of gender and parts. I love that these two women resisted this line of questioning and redirected it toward what the world needs to know about the trans community's "lived experience" and trans community needs. Laverne Cox in particular continues to blow me away with her combination of warmth, intelligence, and courage.

Posted by: mike128 | Jan 7, 2014 11:33:21 PM

4. All I saw was nail fungus! Is there a cure?

Posted by: LJC | Jan 7, 2014 11:40:41 PM

5. This site is so lousy with viruses in the backend it's not funny.

If you get ANY notices about ANY updates needed while on this site, IGNORE them. That's malware phishing happening.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Jan 7, 2014 11:47:35 PM

6. I remember Carmen on season 3 Drag Race.
    He was a beautiful drag queen, now she's so much more beautiful, because she's the real person she wanted to be.

Posted by: Gary | Jan 8, 2014 1:57:27 AM

7. Both Laverne and Carmen are men who have chosen to adopt the stereotypical looks of women.

Posted by: sam | Jan 8, 2014 3:50:19 AM

8. Wow, Sam, that was so enlightened!

Laverne and Carmen are not men and most likely have never been men except for their parts. That's the point, but it's probably lost on you because you're still disturbingly fixated on the "cut off their penis" story. And that freaky fixation is the whole point of this article.

Maybe we should just start calling you Katie.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 8, 2014 7:05:47 AM

9. I love both of these women.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jan 8, 2014 7:28:13 AM

10. They had their man parts removed so they could conform to the expectations of the opposite binary gender. There's nothing groundbreaking about tits, girly hair and makeup in a dress, so why would we want to talk about that? The only thing that makes them different from any woman off the street is the surgery.

Posted by: Knock | Jan 8, 2014 7:37:58 AM

11. "Most likely have never been men except for their parts"

If a person is born with solely male parts that person is male. It's fine if they want to dress up or present themselves like the opposite sex and get surgery, but they are still men.

I wish them all the success though.

Posted by: Wesley | Jan 8, 2014 7:42:39 AM

12. To be honest, the trans thing grosses me out - but I'm not comfortable with that so I challenge myself to find out more about it, and I would defend a trans person with everything I had. I guess I wish more people dealt with things they "didn't like" in this manner.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jan 8, 2014 7:54:19 AM

13. I'm cool with just calling them Carmen and Laverne. That's what their smiles say. Bravo.

Posted by: La Garza | Jan 8, 2014 8:29:37 AM

14. Katie Couric is so dumb, Laverne should have a talk show, not her...

Posted by: V-8 | Jan 8, 2014 8:42:34 AM

15. Ignorant trolls back out in force again.

Posted by: QJ201 | Jan 8, 2014 8:42:41 AM

16. It's very easy to enlighten Katie Couric on any subject. She researches nothing.

Posted by: eubean | Jan 8, 2014 8:45:11 AM

17. I think transgender people may be better off if they didn't keep going on about the evils of thinking of gender in a binary way. It makes people uncomfortable for the sole reason that the gender binary is the experience that most of us are biologically programmed to have.

Some gay and bisexual people do the same thing with sexual orientation; "let's do away with labels," they say, to people who are comfortable labeling themselves. "Your whole life, the struggle you've gone through to be gay, everything you identify yourself with, is wrong, and everything I say is correct." It goes against what most people know to be true about themselves and ends up being off-putting.

If your gender identity, or sexuality, is fluid, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and I will support you, and, in fact, I completely believe what you are saying. But telling other people that the gender and sexuality they are comfortable with are false is counterproductive.

Posted by: Zell | Jan 8, 2014 8:48:36 AM

18. Transphobia from gay men. Gays want to use science and their own personal experience to justify their existence. Sad that some gay men on this site would ignore both to deny these women their transgender nature!

There is plenty of science that shows that transgender people have brain structure that matches their gender identity. Why is it so hard for people to understand that?

Statements about being born "male" makes one "male" is about as helpful as saying that because someone was born with a penis he has to be heterosexual.

Posted by: Richard | Jan 8, 2014 9:25:30 AM

19. Carmen Carrera's titty balls look horrible. Like they're stapled on.

Posted by: Carmelo | Jan 8, 2014 10:02:44 AM

20. Is Facebook preventing the sharing of this story? I've tried multiple times and each time it simply didn't show up on my page, unlike when I followed the exact same process with the snow shark story.
    Also, I believe Carmen specifically declined to answer questions about surgery to her genitalia. So KNOCK's assumption that she's had her "man parts removed to conform to the expectations of the opposite binary gender" seems a little baseless, no?

Posted by: Mike in Iowa | Jan 8, 2014 10:19:09 AM

21. SAM is exactly correct. Neither of these two are women. They're MEN. Sexist MEN. Stop calling them women.

Posted by: Ann | Jan 8, 2014 11:42:35 AM

22. @ Richard. There's is no such thing as transphobia. These guys are Autogynephiles. They're mentally ill misogynistic MEN.

Posted by: Ann | Jan 8, 2014 11:44:39 AM

23. Sam and Ann are the same person. And that person is Rick. This was proven a while back. Rick always uses other aliases to agree with his points. We can't be certain that the other transphobic commenters on this story are him as well, but I wouldn't put it past him. Don't feed the troll.

Both of these gorgeous (inside and out) women have more integrity in a single toenail than any of the transphobic commenters on this site will ever have. Bringing awareness to the realities of transgender life and demonstrating how wonderful life can be for those who identify as transgender is just wonderful.

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 8, 2014 11:51:54 AM

24. How hilarious that 2 people with mental illness are "schooling" a normal person.

Trans activists are not gay. They don't respect LGBs and they don't hesitate to attack LGBs and LGB rights if it serves their purposes. We should not be cheering them on, let alone associating LGB identity with them.

Posted by: Merrill | Jan 8, 2014 12:04:59 PM

25. Merrill, what the heck are you doing right now? Do you know how ironic your statements are? You're attacking trans* people with sweeping generalizations, a tactic you yourself despise.

Don't you remember that not that long ago LGB AND T were all accused of mental illness together? Please don't sink to the level of the people who seek to discredit and create divisions in our community. Please don't generalize and please think before you speak.

Posted by: a | Jan 8, 2014 1:17:28 PM