Dave Agema | Michigan | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

More Calls for Anti-Gay Michigan RNC Committeeman Dave Agema to Resign: VIDEO

Michigan

More Republican lawmakers are calling on Michigan RNC Committeeman Dave Agema to resign.

2_agemaWZZM reports that Rep. Justin Amash, Rep. Candice Miller, and Rep. Fred Upton are all urging Agema, who has said (among other things) that gays falsely claim people with AIDS as their lovers in order to cheat the system and get free medical benefits, and last week said Russia's anti-gay law is "common sense".

Said Amash:

"Defending civil liberties is at the heart of the Republican Party and our Constitution. As I've demonstrated with my words and record, I am trying to grow a new generation of Republicans that includes more gays and lesbians, racial-ethnic minorities, women, and young people. Dave's approach has become a distraction for those of us who are standing up to the political establishment, whose push for bigger government, more corporate welfare, and less individual liberty have hurt our party. I hope Dave will do the right thing for the next generation of conservatives and step down. And I hope that the politicians who are criticizing Dave will stand with me in protecting civil liberties with their votes and actions, not just their rhetoric."

Said Miller:

"Those who seek to be leaders must strive to be inclusive and respectful of others. Dave Agema has failed this test and should resign."

Upton applauded calls from former Chair of the Michigan Republican Party, Betsy DeVos, for Agema to resign.

Said Upton: "I would note that he started with some of this verbiage back in Berrien County last month at a Republican event and I publicly criticized him then, as I still do today."

WZZM's report (autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The Republican Party is designed for evil, extremist scum like Agema.

If the Republicxnt Party had any decency it would expel Agema.

Posted by: MaryM | Jan 22, 2014 10:21:15 AM

2. Is the Republican Party going into Tea addiction rehab???

Posted by: dixichuk | Jan 22, 2014 10:32:27 AM

3. Candice Miller has voted several times for a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. She voted against repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell twice. She voted to prevent the Department of Defense from recognizing same sex marriage.

She is just as much a bigot as Agema.

Posted by: homer | Jan 22, 2014 10:41:49 AM

4. Sounds like he is just a good Republican. What is the problem?

Never vote Republican if you care about gay rights.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 22, 2014 10:59:32 AM

5. @Joel,

You realize that your comment is just a gigantic logical fallacy, right? I suspect that even if you do, you don't care, since you're more interested in taking cheap political shots than anything else.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 22, 2014 11:11:20 AM

6. Hey Jack. What are you trying to do, become a Republican because you think it will make you respectable? The party is anti-gay. If you have not figured that out by now, you are just pathetic. Well I knew that already.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 22, 2014 12:43:45 PM

7. Homer, you beat me to it! :-)

Miller (I think she's closeted, btw) and these other republicans against Agema must just have a personal ax to grind with him as they too have made numerous anti-LGBT statements and votes!!!

Posted by: Paul | Jan 22, 2014 12:59:18 PM

8. They all know the ship has sailed. They are desperately trying to best each other for a helicopter ride to sea.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jan 22, 2014 3:09:33 PM

9. @Joel You have pretty much summed it up in those two short-but-sweet sentences.

Poor Jack.