Boy George | Music | Music Video | News

'My God' It's Boy George: VIDEO

Boygeorge

Boy George has released a new video for his latest single, "My God".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

George told an interviewer for Emusic back in October that the song is about a guy who tried to convert him to Christianity in a NYC bar:

I was in a bar in New York, the B Bar, that I used to go to every Tuesday. It was everyone’s favorite haunt. I was drunk and messy, and this guy came up and gave me a Jesus pamphlet. First of all, I didn’t know what it was. I thought, “Oh that’s nice, he’s given me a book!” Then I was like, “Arrgh, how dare he!”

Back then, if people said, “Oh, I’ll pray for you,” I’d shudder. Now I’m a bit more open to that. Back then, it was more, what do you mean, you’re gonna pray for me?! I was very defensive, so with this guy, I was like, “What if I gave you a pamphlet on cross-dressing? What would you say?”

It was presumptuous of me. In hindsight, I just think that the universe does things to poke you. During that period, I was kind of screaming out to be contained in some way. And it happened, certainly not in any way that I desired it, or planned it [i.e in court, on assault and false imprisonment charges], but it’s what happened.

Comments

1. sounds like Amy Grant.

Posted by: CD in DC | Jan 14, 2014 3:24:43 PM

2. Well, he looks and sounds fantastic on this. Really loving the 70's glam guitar sound.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jan 14, 2014 3:27:43 PM

3. That video was just one big string of selfies.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 14, 2014 4:29:29 PM

4. Umm, and videos are usually something else?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 14, 2014 5:11:47 PM

5. I love Boy George...lots of good tunes on this "new" disc!

Posted by: Chicklets | Jan 14, 2014 5:29:31 PM

6. @ Paul R....LOLZ! right!

Posted by: Chicklets | Jan 14, 2014 5:31:01 PM

7. @CD in DC I agree. The song sounds like a born again Christian song. It sounds like he's telling people they better start believing in Jesus or God or something bad will happen to them which is an odd message to be coming from Boy George. He explained in the interview but otherwise I would think he'd become a born again Christian.

Posted by: Tommy | Jan 14, 2014 6:03:44 PM

8. Anyone who says they'll "pray for me" in regard to my sexuality is lucky to get away from that conversation with only a smack in the chops.

Posted by: fedorajoe | Jan 14, 2014 6:55:42 PM

9. I didn't want to like it.. but I do.

Posted by: charlie | Jan 14, 2014 7:20:32 PM

10. It may sound religious, but it's actually about AA and the 12 steps. If anyone has experienced that, it's fairly easy to spot. He's obviously a recovering alcoholic.

Posted by: Tophier Verdugo | Jan 14, 2014 7:52:49 PM

11. Love it...and agree, it's all about a higher power and recovery.

Posted by: excy | Jan 14, 2014 8:13:30 PM

12. Love Boy George and actually liked the song. Great Siouxsie tattoo.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jan 14, 2014 9:04:53 PM

13. Not too bad. Dad rock.

Posted by: marx | Jan 14, 2014 10:05:46 PM

14. It's nice to see someone with talent.

Posted by: Enchantra | Jan 15, 2014 10:56:37 AM

15. @GreenFuzz: I was trying to figure out if that was a Siouxsie tattoo, because at one point they had a public tantrum. But if someone else thinks so too, I'll go with it!

I wouldn't take Boy at his word for any religious beliefs. He's been into Hare Krishnas, Judaism, AA, heroin, public sex, S&M, and many other things over the years. I'm not criticizing those those choices, but he does tend to bounce around.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 15, 2014 12:04:32 PM

16. Both the song and the video are boring. I find Boy George to be the world's most overrated hyped artist especially in the gay media. We can do so much better than him.

Posted by: Johnny | Jan 18, 2014 12:04:39 PM

17. As a Christian, It certainly does sound like Christian lyrics. That said if he wants to endorse Christianity thats brilliant. It something he has to come to though. Condemning is not the way forward. Let him without sin cast the first stone..... Jesus wants people to come to him as they are, were they go after that is a personal issue. To many people pointing fingers in Christianity. As Christians we should pass the Gospel, the good news on, not condemn!

Posted by: ganda | Jan 26, 2014 9:51:51 PM