News: India, Gloria Gaynor, Proposition 8, Phil Collins, Indiana

RoadNYT on the expanding power of U.S. vs. Windsor.

RoadRead about the confusing state of the bill to ban gay marriage in Indiana.

RoadThought she won: Taylor Swift.

Road NYT talks to recently out Kenyan author Binyavanga Wainaina: “I’m extremely optimistic about rapid transformation and change of things in Africa in general,” Mr. Wainaina said. “It’s set off. It cannot stop. It’s going to be turbulent. There’ll be dark bits and there’ll be bright bits, but it’s a speed train.”

Road Boy George's This Is What I Do gets North American release date of March 25.

RoadGloria Gaynor says she's not homophobic, just deeply religious. "The 'I Will Survive' singer took a trip to the Abbey in West Hollywood -- a gay mecca -- and performed her new song ... but the gig was delayed when Gaynor insisted managers remove all go-go dancers from the room."

RoadMale model fix: Ben Somers.

RoadPhil Collins working with Adele.

RoadSharon Osbourne freaked out, threw food and water at Jonah Hill's brother at a pre-Grammys party while Sarah Bareilles looked on.

BrosRoadPHOTOS: Brothers recreate adorable images from their childhood.

RoadIndian Supreme Court to reconsider ruling criminalizing sodomy on Tuesday: "Eight review petitions will be considered, including Union of India, Naz, Voices against 377,  Shekhar Seshadri (mental health professionals), Minna Saran (parents), Nivedita Menon , Ratna Kapur and Shyam Benegal."

RoadNYC's water tanks are disgusting.

RoadThe women in Rand Paul's family are doing great.

RoadNude man found dead in Upper East Side NYC bathhouse.

RoadRichard Branson at Davos: "For those of us in business who are not gay, it is sometimes easier for us than it is for politicians to speak up about this issue...What's going on outside America in terms of the gay rights debate is far more serious than recent news about marriage legislation there...It is absolutely right to support that, but what we really need is the money that was going into the battles from the gay rights activists in the USA to now go into supporting gay rights around the rest of the world."

RoadDance of the Grammys? Yoko Ono.

RoadThis is NOTHING without the Diana Ross/Lionel Richie theme song.

Uniform2RoadState Department tells Olympic athletes: wearing team colors outside Olympic perimeter puts you at risk.

RoadThe Case Against 8 wins Documentary Directing Award at Sundance: "A behind-the-scenes look inside the case to overturn California’s ban on same-sex marriage. Shot over five years, the film follows the unlikely team that took the first federal marriage equality lawsuit to the U.S. Supreme Court. Directors say they met at Sundance five years ago and also thank the 'incredibly inspiring people we were able to follow around for 5 years.' They also thank HBO and the lawyers who 'showed that civil rights know no boundaries.'"

GRoaday Nigerians targeted as "un-African".

RoadChicago Catholic archdiocese releases thousands of pages of documents detailing cover up of sexual abuse of children.

RoadStranger Passing: "Last night, leaving the familiar fluorescence of my neighborhood Quality Food Center and reentering the pleasant Seattle drear, I passed a random man and woman on the sidewalk. As I often do, I smiled at these strangers as they went by.  In response, he called me a fag."

Comments

1. Wow. Phil Collins and Adele working together?! That is going to be amazing!

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jan 27, 2014 4:17:06 PM

2. Not a fan of that gif being on loop forever.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jan 27, 2014 4:18:59 PM

3. The brothers pictures are Great!

Posted by: pete | Jan 27, 2014 4:33:31 PM

4. I think an Adele/Phil Collins collaboration is going to be fantastic too.

Agree about the stupid gif. Once is already really annoying, two times was sending me into an epiletic fit. Please don't do these anymore.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 27, 2014 4:35:59 PM

5. Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead in those Olympic outfits. Good advice from the state department.

Gay man dead of overdose at 2:35am Sunday, in a NYC bathhouse toilet. What a sad world we live in, gay or whatever. Even sadder the comments by said bathhouse proprietors.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 27, 2014 5:01:00 PM

6. People die on the toilet ALL THE TIME.

Ask any EMT.

Rat, you are such a freakin' retard.

Posted by: Just Sayin' | Jan 27, 2014 5:12:20 PM

7. I thought Phil Collins retired because he couldn't handle all the ridicule on the Internet? In any case, he is horrible and he writes terrible, bland songs. Adele deserves better.

I read that she was working with William Orbit, which would be much more interesting.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 5:18:08 PM

8. So "un-African" is supposed to be an insult? Maybe they should focus group that in the civilized world.

Posted by: un-African | Jan 27, 2014 5:20:49 PM

9. The Adele/Phil headline should have read "Adele is talking to Phil Collins's people. But then again... aren't we all?" What happened to the Hedwig sequel anyway?

Posted by: cdubois | Jan 27, 2014 5:25:18 PM

10. @ "So "un-African" is supposed to be an insult? Maybe they should focus group that in the civilized world."

That's right--right on to Sochi. We'll be comin' 'round the Sochi when she come. We'll be comin' 'roung the Sochi when she come. We'll be comin' 'round the Sochi when she come. We'll be comin' 'round the Sochi when she come.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 27, 2014 5:32:11 PM

11. The new Ralph Lauren Olympic outfits look like bad Christmas sweaters crocheted by geriatric church ladies. The first time I saw RL apparel with 8" polo-pony logos plastered on the front left breast pocket I knew he had jumped the shark. But.....as one of the last traditional taste-makers left in this country, I still have a lot of respect for him.

Posted by: TRH | Jan 27, 2014 5:32:35 PM

12. @CDubois - Agree. What a missed opportunity!

Posted by: Merv | Jan 27, 2014 5:39:17 PM

13. I wish The Talk would can Sharon Osborne. In her eyes, her family can do no wrong.......and Miss Swift.....it does stink, sweetie.....

Posted by: Marc | Jan 27, 2014 5:47:18 PM

14. "she's not homophobic, just deeply religious."

She's a bloated ego, and should have been sent home.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 27, 2014 5:49:17 PM

15. What happened to Phil Collins retiring ? He said he was retired. I guess he was lying like when he said he would leave the UK if the Labour Party won the election back in 1997.

Phil Collins is a truly awful human being.

Gloria Gaynor is also a truly awful human being - I never understand why gays still play her music in bars. Other people have recorded versions of I will Survive. Gloria has never been a friend of ours.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jan 27, 2014 6:12:16 PM

16. Cue the "Is Gloria Gaynor a gay icon?" column for this week.

Another bitter disappointment(see: Summer, Donna) from a disco singer who owes MUCH to the LGBT community for making her work successful.

And all-too typical hypocrisy from a "Christian"-convert, taking anti-gay attitudes now after the live she lived in the 1970s.

Guess what, Glo? I CAN say goodbye. Goodluck playin' the church circuit. See if those "love offerings" can sustain you, you fat, bloated heiffer.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 27, 2014 6:54:28 PM

17. I hope Gloria Gaynor dies on a toilet. In a church.

Posted by: Jamal49 | Jan 27, 2014 7:00:40 PM

18. @ TRH :

Agreed. Those Ralph Lauren outfits look like something my granny would wear....
    They are just 'too busy'.

And on a serious note they remind me of sad days and The Quilt.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 27, 2014 7:07:08 PM

19. Wait...she's performing in a BAR....a GAY BAR....and she's worried about her image?

B¡tch, I think just phukked your image up good and proper.

"You ma-ake me feel. Mi-ighty ill."

"I can't catch no man, goin' out to the discotheques...."

Posted by: Sylvester and Izora | Jan 27, 2014 7:09:57 PM

20. @just say in',

My comment went over your head.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 27, 2014 9:15:55 PM

21. State Department tells Olympic athletes: wearing team colors outside Olympic perimeter puts you at risk.

This quote from one of the RL designers: 'they looked much better on the drawing boards'

So did jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 27, 2014 9:50:26 PM

22. The pictures of the brothers and their father are so adorable!

Posted by: daws | Jan 27, 2014 10:25:30 PM

23. I watched Gloria Gaynor on the 700 Club the other day. I'd say Disco Girlfriend has fallen firmly into the evangelical dark side. Time to kick her to the curb.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 27, 2014 11:26:18 PM