Comments

1. Homo Genius says

Some of those couples could file federal taxes NOW or at least in the next couple of weeks. That will be tons of legal fun when you have the US gov accepting them as married.

2. Red says

Thank you Mr. President. Don’t care what anyone says, POTUS has been first-rate when it comes to advancing LGBT rights. More than any other president.

But I suppose this just means GLAAD will be giving ANOTHER award to Bill Clinton.

3. JackFknTwist says

Quite proper.

An order of the court, judge Shelby, stands until the order is set aside.

A ‘stay’ is not a setting aside.
    The law stands.
    A political hack such as the Governor, has no role to play in the judicial process….and should butt out.

4. says

Excellent news. As Holder says, “These families should not be asked to endure uncertainty regarding their status as the litigation unfolds.” And the Obama administration weighing in on this changes the tone.

It’s also another example of why it matters who’s in the White House. I can’t imagine a Republican administration (and clearly the Romney administration would have been in Utah’s pocket) taking this action.

See you in Court, Herbert.

5. Howard B says

This was the right decision. I am so proud of the Obama administration!

I never thought that I would live to see the day where I could marry the man I love and all my friends and family would celebrate at my wedding, and the government would recognize my marriage as valid. Boy was I ever wrong!

6. simon says

Bravo. Actually many may not be aware of the crucial role the admin. has played in the DOMA Windsor case. It refused to defend DOMA but at the same time still upholding it. Their intention was obviously to push it up to the Supreme Court for its destruction. The House Repugs took the bait and made themselves looked foolish.

7. Lucas H says

So is that one guy going to start starving himself again? Or since its Federal and not state, maybe he should just do like a half-measure… you know, like half of one meal per day. Yeah, that might work.

8. Gregory In Seattle says

“I am confirming today that, for purposes of federal law, these marriages will be recognized as lawful and considered eligible for all relevant federal benefits on the same terms as other same-sex marriages.”

Um… should these be considered on the same terms as all other legal marriages of any kind? Or is the federal government still placing same-sex marriages in a separate category?

9. Lexis says

Yes, and with 2013 taxes now about to be filed, and all kinds of other things these couples can file for on the federal level during the interim, they will have actual proof of real damages going forward if/when future challenges are made.

10. simon says

“With this move, the Department of Justice under this administration signals that it simply has no regard for the Constitution and the rule of law,” NOM President Brian Brown said in a written statement.
    This “important” announcement finally reached Fox news.