Facial Hair | News

Razor Industry: We're Suffering Because Men are Growing Beards

Beard

Beards are killing razor sales, Bloomberg reports:

P&G’s grooming business, which includes shaving cream, razor blades and deodorant, generated $2.12 billion in revenue during the quarter ended Dec. 31 and accounted for 9.5 percent of the company’s sales. Though the division’s sales rose 3 percent, excluding currency effects, John Faucher, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in New York, said in a Jan. 13 note that sales of non-disposable razors and blades fell 7.8 percent in the 12 weeks through Dec. 21.

The reason: “Increased interest in facial hair,” he said.

So I guess there's one more way to protest P&G's sponsorship of Sochi.

Comments

1. STOP THE MADNESS!! "Manscaping" is not only a stupid term, it's a ridiculous and unnatural task. SORRY P&G. But men, at least stop shaving your bodies!!

Posted by: Chuck | Jan 27, 2014 8:50:12 AM

2. It's not making me suffer. Woof!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 27, 2014 8:55:59 AM

3. Personally, I'd use more razors if they weren't so expensive. Maybe they should consider holding their costs instead of additional marketing.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Jan 27, 2014 9:08:21 AM

4. Who is the guy?

Posted by: Eric | Jan 27, 2014 9:10:20 AM

5. That's patently stupid. Anyone who's actually grown a beard can tell you that it still requires daily maintenance and, yes, razors to keep the neck clean.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 9:12:57 AM

6. perhaps they wouldn't suffer if their products weren't so inordinately expensive. welcome to the free market you love so much...assholes.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 27, 2014 9:24:16 AM

7. Chicken or the egg, did beards get popular and men bought less razors or were razors so expensive in a crappy economy that beard grew beard? I would shave if they weren't so expensive.

Posted by: andy | Jan 27, 2014 9:31:18 AM

8. I'm going to assume that straight men are trying to save money by re-using their blades more than the increase in beards is up. Also, electric grooming items save money over time.

Posted by: anon | Jan 27, 2014 9:31:33 AM

9. What a problem!

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 27, 2014 9:34:31 AM

10. My guess it's also due to upstart companies like 800razors.com and Dollar Shave Club that are eating into Gillette's margin.

Posted by: Greg | Jan 27, 2014 9:37:46 AM

11. To Razor Industry: You think YOU'RE suffering?

Posted by: Burned By Scruff | Jan 27, 2014 9:41:28 AM

12. I'm glad to here this. Razors are ridiculously expensive for what they are. I started an "every-three-or-four-day" regimen myself last year after a life time of daily shaving.

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 27, 2014 9:44:31 AM

13. I won't date an unshaven man, let alone one with a beard.

Tattoos? Don't even speak to me.

Piercings? Don't even look at me.

Lots of jewelry and a pit bull? Hold on a second while I get my gun.

Posted by: Discerning | Jan 27, 2014 9:48:52 AM

14. @Eric: His name is William August Cullen. Here's his instagram http://www.instavillage.com/u/williamaugust/

Google reverse image search is pretty awesome...

Posted by: BAKSD | Jan 27, 2014 9:50:03 AM

15. Nowadays beards are girly.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jan 27, 2014 9:50:26 AM

16. I've had a beard for 7 years now, but even before that I made razors last months and months (instead of 2-3 weeks as they recommend) because they're so expensive.

Posted by: Knock | Jan 27, 2014 9:50:56 AM

17. Also note the awesome companies like Dollarshaveclub.

I got sick of paying jacked up prices for razors my entire life. Guess these jerks shouldn't have been so greedy if they wanted to retain their business. Charging 28 dollars for 4 razors is a good reason to fail as a company. Razors that are designed to fail- planned obsolescence.

Now I pay 7.99 and 4 fresh razors get delivered to me on the same day of every month!

Posted by: rob | Jan 27, 2014 10:04:01 AM

18. Yeah, stop the hair removal madness. Unibrows for all!

Posted by: fireblazes | Jan 27, 2014 10:09:35 AM

19. @Discerning: Considering how vapid and judgmental you are, all those guys with facial hair and tattoos and piercings are the real winners here.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 10:18:33 AM

20. Well, hey there Bill Cullen. You sure don't look like I remember from "To Tell The Truth" reruns in the 70's.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 27, 2014 10:26:53 AM

21. lol I love all the blatantly paid advertising comments on here.

Posted by: Pablo | Jan 27, 2014 10:28:47 AM

22. CRISPY, did you leave your sarcasm monitor at home or something? Sheez.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 27, 2014 10:32:31 AM

23. Dollar Shave Club is awesome, and I am a customer, NOT an advertiser. Six bucks a month for four blades beats buying the clunky and expensive plastic disposables any day!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 27, 2014 10:32:41 AM

24. Then they should lower the bloody prices!

Posted by: Michael | Jan 27, 2014 10:34:47 AM

25. There is nothing remotely indicating sarcasm in that comment, Rowan. Sheez indeed.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 10:42:47 AM