News | Thomas Roberts

Thomas Roberts Named Host of MSNBC Morning Show 'Way Too Early'

MSNBC announced this morning that Thomas Roberts will be replacing Brian Shactman as host of "Way Too Early", a morning show that airs from 5:30 - 6:30 am and will also contribute regularly to "Morning Joe" from 6 - 9 am:

Roberts“This is a very exciting opportunity and right in line with my career goals and aspirations,” said Roberts.  ”I really admire what Joe, Mika, Willie and Brian have built with ‘Morning Joe’  and ‘Way Too Early.’ I am flattered to join this morning family.  I also appreciate Phil’s faith in me and can’t wait to get started.”

“Thomas’ unique personality and point of view are just the right mix to lead-in to “Morning Joe.” Thomas has really found his voice in the past year and joining the “Morning Joe” table gives him the opportunity to further develop it,” said Griffin.  ”I’m proud of the excellent work Brian Shactman did on ‘Way Too Early’ and thank him for a job well done.”

“After several months of consideration and discussions with Phil Griffin about expanding my role at MSNBC, I have come to the conclusion that I don’t want politics to be my only focus,” said Brian Shactman. “I want to continue to branch out, making sure my career is not solely defined by that. I’m so appreciative of what Phil, Joe and Mika have done for me and I look forward to announcing my next venture in the very near future.”

Comments

1. VERY thankful I don't watch MSNBC at all. Not on my dialing radar. Roberts is such a sell-out.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jan 3, 2014 11:02:46 AM

2. TRAITOR

Posted by: Jules | Jan 3, 2014 11:04:38 AM

3. Nice working hour. Isn't it 2.30 am PT?

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 3, 2014 11:09:12 AM

4. Am I the only one who read the headline and thought: "Come on. It's not like he doesn't have any experience."

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 3, 2014 11:19:40 AM

5. I do watch Way Too Early (5:30-6:00 AM ET)and Morning Joe as my wake-up television shows of choice. I do enjoy listening to Roberts' POV and don't consider him a (total) sellout. I do hope his addition to this morning team will make watching Morning Joe more palatable as a nice counter balance to Joe's Republicanism. Congrats, Thomas Roberts.

Perhaps this move opens up the available weekday hour slot for previously-announced new MSNBC host addition Ronan Farrow. I wonder when his show starts?

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jan 3, 2014 11:30:17 AM

6. Well deserved. Especially after his stellar performance at the Ms. Universe pageant. Next up. The 2am Show.

Posted by: John | Jan 3, 2014 11:30:39 AM

7. what? Putin didn't offer him a job?
    Donald Trump didn't offer him (another) job?

Posted by: keating | Jan 3, 2014 12:07:14 PM

8. We're so VERY thankful that you're so VERY thankful.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 3, 2014 12:21:59 PM

9. A bunch of Braying nellies on here...this is progress you know....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 3, 2014 12:26:55 PM

10. Um...he has a "unique personality"??? What on earth is that supposed to mean? Every corporation in the country is chock full of gay quislings who place their egos and careers over the well-being of their community. What would have been unique is if Roberts had called out NBC for toadying to Putin's thugs and refused to go there, or if he'd have done what Elton John did and made a strong statement in favor of gay equality and dignity while he was there. There is nothing, absolutely nothing unique about being a corporate suck-up.

Posted by: jomicur | Jan 3, 2014 12:40:30 PM

11. Can we saw demotion? lol It is sad that he is trying to spin it to be a good thing. It is just as ridiculous as Ed Schultz saying that his show that was in primetime Monday through Friday moving to the weekend was a good thing. ha

Posted by: Perry | Jan 3, 2014 2:30:49 PM

12. Bryan Schlachtman is way hotter than Thomas Roberts! Schlachtman was the only reason I didn't mind waking up at that time.

Posted by: Putney | Jan 3, 2014 2:41:40 PM

13. first thing i thought was DEMOTION! he was alright on his own show, but he fits in very poorly on morning joe.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jan 3, 2014 5:44:19 PM

14. Congratulations Thomas Roberts. Good luck with your new gig. It's always good to see a talented out gay man being successful.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 3, 2014 11:48:46 PM

15. As a West Coast MSNBC groupie, I DVR both Way Too Early & Morning Joe, using them as my cut-away during adverts in their later morning shows.

Roberts has been getting noticeably more comfortable expressing his opinions & humor, but still has a ways to go. Other than gay rights, his politics remain pretty opaque compared to the other hosts, and he can seem pretty stiff.

I wish him the best--even if I was ticked off about the Russia thing--but I'm not sure he's a great fit as Morning Joe's #3 person. There's no one but Willie Geist who's pulled that off well.

Mika & Joe's table isn't an easy one to sit at, with tons of tension & infighting that pop up and disappear in a flash, sometimes humorously, sometimes not.

Can Roberts be both thick-skinned and loosy-goosy enough to fit in?

Posted by: adamblast | Jan 4, 2014 2:12:11 AM

16. PS: As for Ronan Farrow, I can't stop gene-checking his face. Pretty sure I'm on team Sinatra.

Posted by: adamblast | Jan 4, 2014 2:31:57 AM

17. I do not get up that early so I'm really going to miss Thomas Rodgers at 10:00am central time. Don't like Morning Joe..he's too conservative and never knows when to shut up!

Posted by: carol zavala | Jan 10, 2014 7:31:26 PM