Johnny Weir Complains He’s ‘in the Crossfire’ Between LGBT Activists and Sochi

Figre skater Johnny Weir, who is going to Sochi as an NBC correspondent, told Reuters he's "in the crossfire" between LGBT activists and his devotion to the Olympics:

Weir"Those who want me to be more gay than I am are going to be disappointed and those who want me to be less gay than I already am will be disappointed. My statement is simply being there and being gay and showing the world and the Russian government that there is nothing weird or wrong with me and that there is nothing weird or wrong with the LGBT community in your country so we shouldn't be treated as pariah….

…I've been called so many names and been hated on so many fronts, and been called a Russian spy and all of these wild and outlandish things… I definitely feel in the crossfire. I feel that in many ways I cannot give the right answer that everyone wants to hear. You can't please everyone. The only people I am worried about pleasing is the Russia LGBT members that are living under this scrutiny on a daily basis and have a hard life for it. I worry about them and I want to be there (for them). Activism should be ongoing until the laws of equality are in place and gays are not scrutinized or thrown into prison simply for being gay in public in front of children."

Full interview here

Comments

1. atomic says

NEWSFLASH: You PUT yourself in the crossfire, you idiot. And now you’re bitching about how people hate you? Can you possibly be any more narcissistic? Oh, and just in case you haven’t figured it out yet–those Russian LGBT activists you say you care about…they don’t like you. Get off your high horse and stop being such a diva.

2. Jay says

If Weir thinks he is showing people that there is nothing weird or wrong about being gay, he ought to look in the mirror. Does he think there is nothing weird about wearing a Russian uniform? Does he think there is nothing weird about being a “consultant” when he is as ignorant as dirt? Does he think there is nothing wrong about supporting fascism?

3. Mike Ryan says

Agree completely with @MARYM – the guy should take his dewy-eyed mascara and his Russian uniform and renounce his American citizenship as quickly as possible. He is one of the most hated gay people in America.

4. Will G. says

I watched the ice skating last week and he was a HORRIBLE commentator. He had zero enthusiasm in his voice and was extremely critical (bitchy) of everyone.

In the run up to SOCHI segment he sat there with a bun in his hair and silver tights with his legs crossed and came across as the egotistical queen that he is. You could see the smirking on his face that he thought he was so smug.

All his comments earlier this year about trying to qualify to compete was (as we know now) complete BS. He knew then he wasn’t good enough to compete, and his statements after has basicly ended his career. He is disgusting.

Just another shill for Putin, NBC made a huge mistake with this one.

5. jomicur says

Poor little Johnny. He’s suffering SO much more than all those Russian gay kids who have been kidnapped, tortured and even killed in some instances. I hope his darling little Russian army uniform gives him some comfort while he continues making a public swine of himself.

6. Mark says

Here’s the thing, who shows up on TV wearing the military uniform of an adversary of the United States and expects to be taken seriously? Why wear the military uniform of a country that persecutes LGBT people?

Weir used to be the brave iconoclast. He was respected because he was fierce and true to himself, taking on critics who hated him for being proudly gay. Yet here he is constantly supporting a country that oppresses LGBT people.

As for supporting the Olympics as a sporting events, I doubt most people are upset about that as much they are by Weir’s obsequious support of Russia.

7. John says

An athelete’s “sacrifice” for their craft is no different than any performer’s sacrifice for their craft. Some loudly cross the line of decency to achieve success, some don’t. Some suffer the consequences quietly, some don’t. Evidently Johnny Weir is one of those performers who is at all times prepared to sing for his supper without bothering too much about the respectability of the host.

8. dommyluc says

You and your boyfriend can go blow Putin, Johnny. That’s probably your “daddy” fantasy, anyway. Boy, if this guy ever goes into any gay bar or club or restaurant where he is recognized, there are a LOT of people who would LOVE to kick his ass, including me. Maybe you should just move to Russia, Johnny, since in your delusional world they treat gays better than they do here. Gee, hope he doesn’t run into any street gangs in Sochi while he’s there. And yes, I hope he does suffer physical harm at the hands of these Russian psychotics. He deserves it, and I am not apologizing for wishing it upon him.

9. andrew says

Well said Johnny. Ignore the professional homos who want to tell everyone how to live their lives. Live your life according to your own ideas and ideals They have served you well so far.

10. andrew says

@MARYM: If you really want to see the “scum of the earth” and “a worthless excuse for a human being” Look in your mirror!!! Your intolerant rants tell me what a piece of s##t you are!!!

11. Dawson says

Johnny boy is doing what he does best. He love creating the controversy and than saying “poor me.” Remember how he reacted when he he came in 6th at the last Olympics. Remember how ungracious he was. All for the attention of the camera.

Those who have followed his career know that Johnny Boy is an a spoiled little man who crys about everything and plays the same game. What is great to hear is that he isn’t fooling the gay community.

Johnny will make an ass of himself and unfortunately since NBC is making him the poster of boy of our community it will reflect on us. Johnny is no different than some homophobic Republican politican who happens to be hiding in the closet. He is now only speaking about the Russian policies after earlier saying he didn’t want to be involved. Since he is seen as the jerk that he is now he wants to try a new approach. Too late Johnny. We have known you for way too long to be able to see right threw you.

He never won a world championship or olympic medal. Those who have won he is bitter at. Look at 2012 for a clue.

Maybe one day he will just go away.

12. Position5 says

Why does he constantly invite himself to talk about the LGBT issues in the olympic games on EVERY news show, if he wants the issue to go away? This kid is the definition of fame whore. With severe internalized homophobia too.

13. Icebloo says

He put himself in the middle of this situation because he is a self absorbed attention whore. I had never heard of him until he started appearing everywhere telling us his childish opinions.
    He is a has been whose career is all washed up – the anti gay policies of Russia have been a golden gift for Weir. He has used this controversy to cling to the “fame” he desperately needs. What a depressing individual.

Luckily he will slide back into oblivion after the Olympics.

14. Icebloo says

Luckily he will slide back into oblivion after the Olympics.

15. Nirgal says

“The only people I am worried about pleasing is the Russia LGBT members that are living under this scrutiny on a daily basis and have a hard life for it. I worry about them and I want to be there (for them). ”

And what exactly is he gonna DO for them, may I wonder?

16. FFS says

I’m uncomfortable with Johnny Weir as Ambassador for Gay.

Ignorant people who think they don’t know any gays will look to Johnny and think we’re all opportunistic boot-lickers.

17. andrew says

People not familiar with the posts on Towleroad and reading the self righteous, hateful, smug, arrogant and mean spirited comments about Johnny Weir on this thread may think they are the views of 25 different people. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are the views of just a couple arrogant and self righteous haters who post comments under many different names. For whatever reason Towleroad allows this charade to continue. Johnny Weir is a bigger man than the pin heads engaged in this deception.

18. andrew says

@JAKER: NO. It’s because I regularly follow the posts on this site and am quite familiar with the deceptive tactics of many of the self righteous and arrogant posters on this site.