Human Rights Campaign | News | Video

Actress Ellen Page Comes Out: VIDEO

Ellen_page
The 26-year-old actress Ellen Page — most famous for her role as the precocious pregnant teenager in Diablo Cody's film Juno — came out on Valentine's Day during a speech she made at the Human Rights Campaign's Time to Thrive youth conference in Las Vegas.

She said, "I am here today because I am gay... and because maybe I can make a difference to help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless for me I feel a personal obligation and a personal responsibility. I also do it selfishly because I’m tired of hiding and I’m tired of lying by omission. I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered, and my relationship suffered. And I’m standing here today with all of you on the other side of that pain."

She added, "And I am young yes. But what I have learned is that love — the beauty of it, the joy of it and yes even the pain of it — is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being."

See the video and full transcript of her speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

”Thank you Chad for those kind words and for the even kinder work that you and the Human Rights Campaign foundation do everyday on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender your people here and across America. It is such an honor to be here at the inaugural Time To Thrive conference, but it’s a little weird too.

Here I am in this room because of an organization whose work I deeply deeply admire. And I’m surrounded by people who make it their life’s work to make other people’s lives better, profoundly better. Some of you teach young people. Some of you help young people heal and find their voice. Some of you listen. Some of you take action. Some of you are young people yourselves, in which case it’s even weirder for a young person like me to be speaking to you.

It’s weird because here I am — an actress, representing in at least some sense an industry that places crushing standards on all of us; and not just young people. Everyone. Standards of beauty, of a good life, of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me. You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts that you never had before that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be.

And I have been trying to push back, to be authentic and to follow my heart. But it can be hard. But that’s why I’m here. In this room, all of you, all of us can do so much more together than any one person can do alone. And I hope that that thought bolsters you as much as it does me. I hope that the workshops you go to over the next few days give you strength because I can only imagine that there are days when you’ve worked longer hours than your boss realizes or care about just to help a kid who you know can make it. Days when you feel completely alone, undermined or hopeless.

And I know there are people in this room who go to school every day and get treated like shit for no reason. Or you go home and you feel like you can’t tell your parents the whole truth about yourself. And beyond putting yourself in one box or another you worry about the future; about college or work or even your physical safety. And trying to create that mental picture of your life, of what on earth is going to happen to you can crush you a little bit every day. And it is toxic and painful and deeply unfair.

And sometimes it’s the little insignificant stuff that can tear you down. Now I try not to read gossip as a rule, but the other day a website ran an article with a picture of me wearing sweatpants on the way to the gym. And the writer asked, “Why does this petite beauty insist upon dressing as a massive man?” (pause) Because I like to be comfortable. (laughter, light applause) There are pervasive stereotypes about masculinity and femininity that define how we’re all supposed to act, dress and speak and they serve no one. Anyone who defies these so-called norms becomes worthy of comment and scrutiny. And the LGBT community knows this all to well.

Yet there is courage all around us. The football hero Michael Sam, the actress Laverne Cox, the musicians Tegan and Sara Quinn, the family who supports their daughter or son who has come out. And there is courage in this room. All of you. And I’m inspired to be in this room because every single one of you is here for the same reason. You’re here because you’ve adopted as a core motivation the simple fact that this world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another. (light applause)

If we took just five minutes to recognize each other’s beauty instead of attacking each other for our differences. That’s not hard. It’s really an easier and better way to live. And ultimately it saves lives. Then again it can be the hardest thing. Because loving other people starts with loving ourselves and accepting ourselves. And I know many of you have struggled with this. And I draw upon your strength and your support in ways that you will never know.

And I am here today because I am gay (cheering, applause) Whooo! Hahaha. Thank you. And because maybe I can make a difference to help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless for me I feel a personal obligation and a personal responsibility. I also do it selfishly because I’m tired of hiding and I’m tired of lying by omission. (applause) I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered, and my relationship suffered. And I’m standing here today with all of you on the other side of that pain.

And I am young yes. But what I have learned is that love — the beauty of it, the joy of it and yes even the pain of it — is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being. And we deserve to experience love, fully, equally, without shame and without compromise. There are too many kids out there suffering from bullying, rejection or simply being mistreated for who they are. Too many dropouts. Too much abuse. Too many homeless. Too many suicides. You can change that and you are changing it. But you never needed me to tell you that. And that’s why this was a little bit weird.

The only thing I can really say — and this is what I have been building up to for the last five minutes — thank you. Thank you for inspiring me. Thank you for giving me hope. And please keep changing the world for people like me. Happy Valentine’s Day. I love you.

Comments

1. She's 26, not 23. Also bravo.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 15, 2014 9:25:50 AM

2. Anti-gay christians loved the movie Juno.
    I'm sure they're not loving that the star is a lesbian.
    Their world is just falling apart.

Posted by: woody | Feb 15, 2014 10:12:34 AM

3. good for ellen --- but lets be honest... everyone knew this years ago.

I am also not 100% on board with her "lie of omission" since she has at times tried to give the impression that she is dating a man

Posted by: Homo Genius | Feb 15, 2014 10:53:17 AM

4. No big surprise here..she came out for her career....

Posted by: Ankerich | Feb 15, 2014 11:03:36 AM

5. Good for her! Her speech was personal and dignified. Something Jodi Foster could have done eons ago.

Posted by: greg | Feb 15, 2014 11:06:41 AM

6. Her speech was exceptionally eloquent. And yes the contrast with Jodie Foster is quite severe.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 15, 2014 11:10:28 AM

7. When Ellen Degeneres told the world she was gay, she became by far one of the biggest inspirations to move the culture forward.
    Now we have another Ellen from the younger generation who is not only an extremely talented actress with a bright future, but also an intelligent person who speaks articulately on a whole range of issues.
    I'm proud to know that Ellen Page is gay.
    I guess now when I speak of what a great influence Ellen is on gay people and our allies, I'll have to use last names.... Or maybe we can just pluralize:
    "The Ellens are a great inspiration to gay people everywhere."

Posted by: GregV | Feb 15, 2014 11:19:12 AM

8. well met, lass! you've done us all proud. beautifully said, i could not be more pleased. Canada!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 15, 2014 2:09:40 PM

9. Agreed @ GregV — I have already posted that I haven't always been thrilled with Ellen Page as an actress (just not my thing) but I was so impressed with her heartfelt, articulate speech that I have decided to become an Ellen Page fan. I have have rarely been so moved by a speech that should be seen by every man, woman and child on this planet.

Bravissima, Ellen, looking forward to your interview on the other Ellen's show.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 15, 2014 3:13:50 PM

10. Big Deal, I knew she was gay when I first saw her in Juno, 2007. Now she comes out?

Posted by: Tony Paradise | Feb 15, 2014 4:13:08 PM

11. This would be only news if Jennifer Lawrence or any other actress with a hawt career came out....

Posted by: Ankerich | Feb 15, 2014 4:45:26 PM

12. OK Ankerich...we get IT. YOU don't care.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 15, 2014 5:07:41 PM

13. An exceptionally articulate speech, one that speaks to social responsibility. She gets it.

Is it a surprise that she's gay? No, and it doesn't have to be. The point of coming out isn't to surprise anonymous blog commenters, though own always wonders why those who find it so unnewsworthy feel compelled to take the time to comment.

Well done, Ellen.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 15, 2014 5:35:48 PM

14. Courageous? Not feeling it. How brave is it to follow the popular trend of the day? The Hollywood industry is sold-out for LGBT rights, so is she risking anything? Nah. Not really. It's more risky to publicly come out as ANTI-gay (or more accurate, ANTI-gay marriage). Just ask the dude from Grey's Anatomy who had to enroll in sensitivity training. Just ask Alec Baldwin (another industry insider) who made the mistake of uttering a gay slur. Even HE was chastised and vilified for it. The irony of this speech, also, is not lost on me. Page mentions how challenging it can be to work in an industry to tells one how to think, how to behave, how to be, etc. Ironically, she is still a member of an industry that does that. And now she has joined the ranks of the "MOVEMENT" (the pro-gay movement that preaches "tolerance" but crucifies anyone who dares to have a difference of opinion.) Bravery? Nah.

Posted by: Jon | Feb 15, 2014 6:12:42 PM

15. That was truly a touching speech, and a terrific way to come out. She was clearly very nervous, but so brave.

Posted by: Thomas | Feb 15, 2014 6:14:28 PM

16. That was truly a touching speech, and a terrific way to come out. She was clearly very nervous, but so brave.

Posted by: Thomas | Feb 15, 2014 6:14:29 PM

17. She's 26 in 2014. How can people compare it to Jodie Foster's speech? Jodie as 26 in 1989, almost 10 years before Ellen came out!
    I loved both speeches. Jodie's was fun and emotional and people were in tears when she spoke to her mother. Page's was much more personal and descriptive and it went on and on about the issues facing gay people. They're both great gals in my book and I admire them both.

Posted by: topher | Feb 15, 2014 10:26:30 PM

18. What an articulate and touching speech. Very powerful. I'm so proud of, and inspired by, here.

Posted by: Tara | Feb 15, 2014 11:07:22 PM

19. Wonderful, touching speech!

Posted by: GaryJ | Feb 16, 2014 4:07:08 AM