Chris Kluwe Implores Olympians To Speak Out Against Russia’s Abuses

Kluwe

Chris Kluwe has been a phenomenal ally to the LGBTQ community, speaking loudly and unambiguously in support of LGBTQ rights and issues, even at the cost of his own professional football career. Now the former Vikings punter is calling on Olympic athletes to show similar courage and speak up on the human rights abuses administered by the Russian government against its LGBT citizens.

Said Kluwe in the article he wrote for the Guardian:

Speak up for LBGTQ rights, for human rights, for empathy? The world will pay attention, and take notice. Stay silent, keep your head down, count the money and endorsements? The world will pay attention, and take notice. Either way, you're the one who has to live with what you did or didn't do.

I hope that athletes speak out at Sochi on LBGTQ issues, even knowing the possible risks that await them.

With the opening ceremonies right around the corner it won't be long before we see which companies and athletes will speak up for what's right, and which ones will keep their heads down and hope the world doesn't notice.

Comments

1. northalabama says

way to keep it going chris, you’re a wonderful ally, thanks for your outspoken support.

is anyone else confused over the varied alphabet soup being used in stories about the community? i use glbt and lgbt interchangeably, and have seen the “q”, “i” and “a” before, but recently have noticed “lgbti” and “lgbtq” in different stories and newscasts. why are different groups randomly added, or dropped, by different media?

2. JackFknTwist says

This man has enormous courage in an issue which he could easily ignore; how can any gay athlete fail to have a fraction of his outspoken determination ?

Sure, competing in your sports is what it’s all about, but that cannot be an isolated issue……its context is human and civil rights.
    There are young men and women who because of intimidation and bullying of gays have never been able to develop their potential.
    It’s not all about those who are there; it’s also about those overborne by prejudice and bigotry along the way.
    That’s why we protest the fascist oppressive law so vehemently.

3. Play says

Thank you very much Chris Kluwe! You put it so succinctly/concisely.

LOVE this quote:
    “Speak up for LBGTQ rights, for human rights, for empathy? The world will pay attention, and take notice.
    Either way, you’re the one who has to live with what you did or didn’t do.”

I will certainly be paying attention and taking notice (and not by watching official sponsors).

4. Play says

@ Litper; You’re right, I failed to notice until you pointed me back there! I’m so sensitive lately that I just noticed the sport images, got mad and navigated away… didn’t even notice the rainbow theme OR the quote underneath…
    Shame on me.

@ JackFknTwist; I agree with you. And I if I may, I think you answered your own question. Allow me to paraphrase:
    Gay athletes sometimes fail to have a fraction of Chris Kluwe’s outspoken determination because of the intimidation and bullying gays endure; they have never been able to develop their potential.

5. randy (a different one from above) says

I love this man. I heard him in a live interview not too long ago, and he was incredibly well-spoken. Thanks so much to our straight athlete allies like him and Hudson Taylor (among others). Heartwarming, hopeful, and much appreciated.

6. says

Truly one of the most wonderful allies we’ve ever had. I hope his courage continues to inspire and enlighten the masses, and hope gay athletes who have yet chosen to remain in the closet might find an ounce of this guy’s courage and determination.