Education | Minnesota | News

Gay Minnesota Teen Gets Death Threat After Coming Out on Facebook: VIDEO

Eichenauer

A police investigation is underway in Circle Pines, Minnesota after Ryan Eichenauer, a gay student at Centennial High School who recently came out of the closet, received an anonymous death threat in his English class, KMSP reports:

"I know there are going to be people in life who don't agree with it. But that's who I am," he said.

Eichenauer says that within weeks of coming out he had two threatening anonymous letters placed on his desk in two separate classrooms, the latest one on Tuesday:

Not only does the note attack his sexuality, but it says "I can't wait for the day that I get to walk over your grave and if you don't put yourself there, I will be glad to. Just do us all a favor and do it soon. Kill yourself already."

Letter

More of the letter:

"Ryan, I see there are many others who also want you dead. Good. And it's not just the two of us who have decided to speak up. It's everyone. […] like you don't deserve to live in this world. Innocent people die every day, but the scum of the earth like you gets to live? […] that. That is about to change. No one likes the fact that you are alive. No one likes the way you show your sexuality. You are a […] sinner. Someone should do something about it…I will. I am not a coward. I protect the house of god from […] like you."

Eichenauer says he's definitely afraid:

"A little scared, I feel safe in my school. Right now, mostly uncomfortable....The first threat I cried a lot. A lot of tears and emotions. Even though that was less threatening. Then this one came along. Is this what I am going to get forever, from now on?"

Watch KMSP's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

KMSP-TV

Comments

1. I hope they catch the creep who wrote the letter, and I really hope it wasn't Ryan himself. We've had enough of that lately.

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 5, 2014 1:03:32 PM

2. You beat me to it Andrew. My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: Edd | Feb 5, 2014 1:06:04 PM

3. Disgusting! The coward writing the letter claims to be of the house of God and yet talks about killing? Oh the irony.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 5, 2014 1:06:34 PM

4. This kind of thing usually comes from a deeply closeted self hating homosexual. I expect this will be the case here.

Posted by: bkmn | Feb 5, 2014 1:07:41 PM

5. "I am not a coward" says the writer of an anonymous note.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Feb 5, 2014 1:10:08 PM

6. Call me a conspiracist, but doesn't that letter seem to be very.... what's the word, grammatically correct? I work with kids these age and I don't know any who could type up that well written of a letter, without using "U" or "urself", things like that. But, it does say it was left in English class... That student may hate gays but they gave good grammar.... Maybe it's the teacher!

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 5, 2014 1:12:29 PM

7. There is a (fine) line between animosity/bigotry to outright psychotic behavior. Whoever left this seriously needs to be found.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 5, 2014 1:13:07 PM

8. This is a hate crime in construction.
    It should be investigated and prosecuted as such.
    take any fingerprints on the page; take everyone's fingerprints in that school.
    If in an envelope take a saliva test and test everyone's DNA in that school.
    Seize all the computers each one has access to , at school at home.
    No stone unturned.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 5, 2014 1:14:17 PM

9. I hope that the kid didn't write it himself.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Feb 5, 2014 1:14:22 PM

10. I don't care how good their grammar is leaving a paper trail was not smart.

Posted by: jimmy | Feb 5, 2014 1:18:34 PM

11. There is that famed Christian Love[TM] again

Posted by: Steve | Feb 5, 2014 1:20:19 PM

12. @ Mikey

Because he IS a psychopath...and Andrew it does sound like a teacher!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 5, 2014 1:24:34 PM

13. God's gentle people.

If Jesus came back and saw what people were doing in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 5, 2014 1:27:22 PM

14. My heart goes out to this kid. Good for him for speaking out about it- that takes some guts. How many gay teens deal with this kind of crap and don't tell anyone? Ooof.

To Ryan- the lives of these jerks are peaking right now. It's all downhill for them. Yours is just starting, and I promise that it will be filled with the smartest, sexiest, most intriguing, funniest people you'll ever meet. Hang in there.

Posted by: John C | Feb 5, 2014 1:31:45 PM

15. I wish there were some way we could show our support for Ryan.

Posted by: Mike B. | Feb 5, 2014 1:32:37 PM

16. I hope they find the scums and throw their sorry ass into jail to rot. I hope his friends and the schooll rally around him. Not seeing from the report.

Posted by: RK | Feb 5, 2014 1:38:41 PM

17. Okay, investigate the death threats. It's certainly a case of assault and making terroristic threats (both punishable by long prison terms). However, very few death threats should be taken seriously since having gone through the trouble of writing it all down, the perp probably will be satisfied that his work is done. Could it be a teacher? Could the victim have written it himself? These are both possible, but should the police investigate (and usually they tell people to get lost if they are asked about death threats), it should be very easy to ID where the paper came from and if any of the known parties own some. Plus, almost anything printed w/ a ink jet or laser printer will have an "invisible ink" serial number on it, which will ID the printer.

Posted by: anon | Feb 5, 2014 1:41:28 PM

18. @ THE MILKMAN :

Thou speakest aright:
    "Old Jesus would just puke."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 5, 2014 1:49:19 PM

19. Stay strong Ryan. This is just a delusional psycho who is very sick and who must get caught. You did the right things by reporting this and now it is the job of the school and the police to catch this young twisted piece of garbage.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 5, 2014 1:57:28 PM

20. Anti-bullying/safe schools legislation is back on the agenda of the MN Legislature when they come back in a few weeks. Hopefully a bunch of legislators see this and it passes this time.

To suggest that the kid wrote it himself is obscene. From that part of the Twin Cities its not a complete surprise, it's Michelle Bachmann territory.

Posted by: Terrell Brown | Feb 5, 2014 1:58:50 PM

21. Ryan
    Never.Give.Up.

As John C said. your life is going to get better and better but you have to have faith in yourself and stay strong. If you are ever in despair there are places to call.

To Ryan's parents
    Stay attuned. Stay involved. Kids are vulnerable and gay kids without a good support system are especially vulnerable. A bullying situation can seem overwhelming.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 5, 2014 2:00:08 PM

22. Be brave, Ryan! Leave them in the dust when you graduate. Whoever wrote that letter is a sick, sick person. Stay strong for now and move out when you get the chance.

Posted by: Lucas H | Feb 5, 2014 2:02:03 PM

23. I have a bad New Jersey waitress feeling about this, to be honest. Why would a teen psycho print out a physical note and then risk being seen leaving it on the victim's desk? Why not just email it from sham webmail account? Also, the note is a lot longer and better written than you would expect. And there is the reference to the victim's past suicide attempts and cutting behavior. If those statements are true, then it would show that the author has intimate knowledge of the victim and would offer a completely gratuitous clue as to the author's identity.

Posted by: Andy | Feb 5, 2014 2:10:31 PM

24. These Fox News reporters dealt with this amazingly well. Big kudos to them for stepping up here. They didn't mince words, calling out the venom and hate, that bullying is a problem nationwide and that these threats have to be taken seriously.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 5, 2014 2:11:53 PM

25. @ GROVER - my thoughts exactly. If it is a real threat it should be turned over to the police and forensics to ascertain who sent it. Once obtained the individual should be arrested and face a hate crime charge - a minimum of 3 years in Federal prison.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 5, 2014 2:15:07 PM