Finnish Olympian Swimmer Ari-Pekka Liukkonen Comes Out as Gay to Raise Awareness About Sochi

Liukkonen

Finnish Olympic swimmer Ari-Pekka Liukkonen has come out of the closet because he wants to raise awareness about Russia's anti-gay laws ahead of the Sochi Games, YLE reports:

"I wanted to start a broader discussion in connection with Sochi, because it’s sad that the legislation in Russia restricts the human rights of young people and others," Liukkonen told Yle.

Liukkonen added that the Finnish sporting world was also in need of a more open attitude to sexuality.

"In the future I would hope that elite athletes and other people will not find homosexuality to be any kind of news," said Liukkonen…

Liukkonen said he's also speaking out because things were so difficult for him growing up.

"As the matter wasn’t discussed, I tried to forget about it, but during high school I began to accept that I am made this way," said Liukkonen. "Acceptance hasn’t necessarily been easy, but it hasn’t been horribly difficult either. This has been a long, slow process for me, but now I’m there."

Liukkonen, who is the first Finnish athlete to come out of the closet while still active in his sport, competed at the 2012 London Olympics and has won bronze at the European Championships.

Added the swimmer: "It’s a really great feeling that I can finally be myself."

Two other Olympians who have come out as a response to Russia's anti-gay laws? Canadian Olympic speed skater Anastasia Bucsis and Australian snowboarder Belle Brockhoff.

Comments

1. Matt27 says

It is so wonderful. First athletc handsome Finnish active sport guy out. Made headlines in the news all over the Finnish media. Couldn’t be more proud. I wish all the best to Ari-Pekka!

2. Peika says

This is awesome. Finland has been lagging behind the rest of northern Europe when it comes to awareness and acceptance of LGBT-persons. I can only applaud him.

3. Tyty says

Peika, in the last presidential elections the runner-up was an openly gay man. He was voted for the second round, so I think that is pretty accepting. I also believe he lost because of political issues, not his sexuality.

4. Matt27 says

@Tyty, you’re correct, Pekka Haavisto was from the Green Party and he got much more popularity than the party itself, but lost for the most popular candidate.

5. JackFknTwist says

If Finnish guys are this hot I’m booking my next trip !!!!

but this is just great news……leadership and passion.

6. alguien says

a google search reveals he’s 6’10”. that’s a lot of finn to curl up to on a cold winter’s night.

7. jarago says

Good for him! We need more athletes like him to come out- the Russian bigots must not get in our way.

8. anon says

Great, though no swimming in the Winter Olympics. Perhaps he can go as part of the national delegation.

9. Klkruger says

Google Patrik Antonius. From Finland. He’s not gay but what a looker. Great guy too. Used to work for him.