Football (American) | Michael Sam | News | NFL | Sports

Former Dallas Cowboy Greg Ellis Worried Michael Sam Might 'Pat Somebody on the Butt'

Former Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Ellis spoke with ESPN radio on Tuesday and had something ridiculous to say about Michael Sam joining the NFL.

EllisSaid Ellis:

"If he pats somebody on the butt — I hope ESPN don’t get mad and never have me back — but if he pats somebody on the butt, how is that to be received? If he does that how is that to be received? If he said, ‘Come on baby’? I called guys baby all the time on the football field, but when you have taken a stand and went and go public and say that, ‘I am gay,’ how is that going to be received? I’ve seen guys, I had guys on the Dallas Cowboys football team — I won’t mention names — who did not want you to pat them on their butt. So God forbid if you pat one of those guys on the butt it’s going to be a major problem.”

And not surprisingly, Ellis would have been worried Sam might check him out in the shower. Asked if having an openly gay player on the team would have made him uncomfortable, Ellis replied:

“I would. I would. People who’ve never been in an NFL shower room, not just locker room, it’s a open room. We don’t have private curtains. It’s just an open-form shower, so everybody sees each in the nude. Well if you’re looking at men as if you’re looking at women or vice versa, how are those guys to receive that? I don’t know. I don’t know how they will receive that. But I do know it would be a situation where I would go to the coach and try to work something out to say, ‘Obviously this is going to be a problem. What can we do? The kid can help us play, can help us win football games. We need him on the team. But this situation right here, we need to do something.’ ”

(transcript via Dallas Morning News)

Comments

1. And how is it taken if you pat/swat someone's butt????? You are just not comfortable with the concept of male bonding? It doesn't necessarily change when one of the men is gay. Guess who needs to go back to male bonding 101.

Posted by: steven | Feb 21, 2014 2:22:39 PM

2. The big scary gay guy may see my ding dong! OH NO! Christ, if it's such a big deal, why don't they just put stall showers in the locker rooms and give the guys curtains.

As for the butt pats, here's a thought -- stop patting other guys on the butt. I'm gay but I do not want random people, men or women, coming up and cupping my cheeks. I don't like my personal space invaded. If your co-worker came up and grabbed your @ss it'd be considered sexual harassment, so why should it be allowed in professional sports?

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 21, 2014 2:22:45 PM

3. Another delicate flower.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 21, 2014 2:24:09 PM

4. LOL

This is getting funnier by the day. It's OK for a Straight guy to pat you on the butt, but it's not OK for a Gay guy to pat it. What? Is it more tantalizing for a Gay guy to pat your butt. And have you cleaned it before HAND, that's what I want to know?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 21, 2014 2:24:16 PM

5. Newsflash, Brain Trust: None of that stuff was any less gay when you did it.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 21, 2014 2:24:26 PM

6. Neandertal idiot dummy

Posted by: ggrr | Feb 21, 2014 2:29:37 PM

7. How did those big tough guys get to be so delicate?

Posted by: Joel | Feb 21, 2014 2:30:39 PM

8. He should be grateful that ANYONE is looking at all his ugly. Narcissistic.

Posted by: tooboot | Feb 21, 2014 2:31:37 PM

9. Oh and by the way...

You've been showering with guys all your life. You just didn't know it. We are everywhere. Get over it.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Feb 21, 2014 2:32:05 PM

10. So he likes slapping other players asses and checking out other dudes in the shower but as long as it's "no homo"...

Posted by: litper | Feb 21, 2014 2:32:14 PM

11. ((FORMER NFL PLAYER)? Must we hear about your fantasies about MIchael Sam...?

Posted by: disgusted american | Feb 21, 2014 2:33:03 PM

12. How many years ago would people have said similarly stupid things about him when sports were first intigrated.

Posted by: john | Feb 21, 2014 2:33:48 PM

13. They are like little children, fortunately there a good bunch of mature NFL players to counterbalance all this nonsense or people will start to think they are a bunch of whiny boys

Posted by: jjose712 | Feb 21, 2014 2:33:54 PM

14. Oh, the thing we all missed is that he's from DALLAS cowboys. Home of Cruz, Delay, etc.

Posted by: steven | Feb 21, 2014 2:35:41 PM

15. This guy needs to grow a pair.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Feb 21, 2014 2:37:02 PM

16. And it's perfectly alright for ex-football players to hasass/rape/kill women. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/21/ex-nfl-star-darren-sharper-pleads-not-guilty-to-rape/ just keep yo' hand of' my hass.

Posted by: steven | Feb 21, 2014 2:40:08 PM

17. Every large gym I have ever been in in my life has had a large open shower room. Thy're easier to clean. Gay guys learn to live with it the same way straight guys do very early in adolescence when you pop up at anything, you learn there are places you do NOT pop up.

Every one of these delicate foootball flowers has showered with gay guys right along and everyone of those gay guys has managed to resist the pull of their incredible manliness.

I wish that these what if he looks at me guys would understand that guys do look (straight and gay) - the problem is not the guy glancing, the problem is the DRAMA that these guys are fantasyzing might follow that look.

Posted by: rjinva | Feb 21, 2014 2:44:31 PM

18. No football player has ever been hired for their brains.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 21, 2014 2:47:11 PM

19. Delusional poor guy.

Posted by: Matt27 | Feb 21, 2014 2:47:42 PM

20. Hmm, if only you had a device if you opened your mouth sound would come out and let the player know you don't like being touched or patted on the ass. Some guys dont like it with NO openly gay players, so how would it be different with one who is openly gay.
    As for checking you out in the shower, that is one of the most egotistical assumptions any person can make. Don't flatter yourself. Gay men are NOT checking you out. If they are, SO WHAT. I suppose playing in Dallas no player has EVER checked out one of the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders? Get over yourself you idiot.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 21, 2014 2:49:29 PM

21. No need to get defensive. Only the less endowed get all shy.

Posted by: Kev C | Feb 21, 2014 2:49:39 PM

22. is that what they're upset about? that their man-man touching will seem "gay" if there's an openly gay guy around?

Chiiiild, please.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 21, 2014 2:49:43 PM

23. "Well if you’re looking at men as if you’re looking at women or vice versa, how are those guys to receive that? I don’t know."

And there you have the problem, right there. Being looked at the way he looks at women would upset him. Which says all we need to know about how he thinks of women.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | Feb 21, 2014 2:54:09 PM

24. Poor straight, over-paid men. God, life must just be so difficult for them. I have no idea how they are going to handle this situation. It's just heartbreaking. It really does pain me to see men like this having to go through such trials in tribulations in life. Obama needs to step in and wave a magic wand or something. I just can't bare to see another straight man have to figure something out.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 21, 2014 2:56:40 PM

25. Mr. Ellis seems obsessed with other men's butts, and patting them. If I were Michael Sam I would be more worried about Ellis getting handsy than vice versa.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 21, 2014 2:57:09 PM