Google Doodle Becomes ‘Gay Propaganda’ for Sochi

Googlesochi

Google's Doodle has gone rainbow in an apparent response to the Sochi Games and Russia's law banning 'gay propaganda'.

A quote from the Olympic Charter sits below the doodle: "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play."

Clicking on the doodle takes you to a search for the Olympic Charter.

Well played.

Comments

1. Zlick says

Heheh, I’m seeing this all over my Facebook feed right now (after I posted it, once alerted by my Twitter feed). Good going, Google!

2. well player? says

Well played if you agree with Russophobia. You know, that same Russia that saved women and children from US air strikes in Syria, through an appeal to diplomatic means of resolving issues. That same Russia that provided asylum to Edward Snowden the whistleblower who revealed widespread US surveillance on domestic and international persons. That same Russia, lest we forget, who has twice bled heavily and saved Europe from the monsters it has created in the form of Napoleon and Adolf Hitler.

Yes.. that Russia, the Russia whose laws are no less misguided than US laws, but who it is chic to bash upon in a modern day update upon red scare journalism

3. Eugene says

@well player?

The good things you say about Russia are certainly true, but they don’t excuse the homophobia. And while I agree that some people love to hate Russia, it has nothing to do with Google – the company simply posted a harmless and appropriate picture that doesn’t even explicitly call out Russia.

4. ghostwhitehorse says

Well Player? need to smoke a bowl . . . or three.

(Your argument, Well Player?, is that Mother Russia is beyond reproach, despite your little figleaf. That line of “reason”. . . Doesn’t. f*cking. fly.)

5. Josh says

The above comment is as idiotic as it is reprehensible.

Russia’s military and diplomatic support for the Assad dictatorship is prolonging a civil war in which the regime has killed tens of thousands of its own people, including thousands of children.

Russia just blocked a humanitarian assistance resolution in the UN Security Council. Simply indefensible.

6. Icebloo says

Another wake up for you easy to please gays – Google is part of ALEC – the extreme right wing forum that develops policies for the extreme right of the Republican Party. Google finances this group along with a few other multinational companies. ALEC’s policies include many anti gay ones.

Google is NOT our friend. Google finances our opposition. Do not get sucked in just because they display a multi colored logo.

Remember gays – don’t get distracted by the sparkly things. ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS.

7. DreamTone says

[Well Player?]

Now Honey… you’ve just OFFICIALLY been SLAIN, OOOooKAAAAYYYYYY?

Ding-Dong
    The-B****-is-DEAD

8. Francis says

Ignoring the usual insane commenters, this is awesome. The image is being shown globally including in Russia, including in African countries…everywhere. That’s billions of people seeing a rainbow doodle on their search engines, on the web. That’s a big deal. A global stand in support of equality like this doesn’t come around often so it’s something to celebrate. Rock on Google!

9. SageGreen says

Thank you Google for doing this! The timing is very good. I hope Francis is right and huge sums of people see and understand what this means. I also hope all those ‘hunters’ that go on ‘safari’ see this too.

10. Zlick says

Well, to play devil’s advocate for a moment, does anyone in the world still see a Google Doodle? I know here in the U.S., there’s a search bar on every screen everywhere, and you pretty much have to specifically search out the Google Doodle if you want to see it.

11. HowDoILook says

@ Z-Lick I always search from an engine’s homepage; I never use the search bar on my screen.

12. Randy says

Zlick has a point. I never use a search engine’s page (or indeed, any database’s page) I add a search to my search bar (perhaps using Mycroft Project or making my own). It makes things so much easier.

13. miami says

Google is not our friend and the Russian people are not our enemy.

however, today corporate America did a good thing and deserves praise.

14. JMC says

A miniature version of the doodle shows up on ALL Google pages, so it’s really not relevant if you go to Google’s homepage or not.

15. Icebloo says

Google is part of ALEC – this is a link that explains what ALEC is and how it works.

I know most of you won’t take the time to read it so let me make it clear to you – ALEC hates gays and develops anti-gay policies for the Republican party.

Gay rights are so far behind in the U.S. because gays here are stupid. EDUCATE YOURSELVES ! Google is our enemy, it is certainly not our friend.

16. Icebloo says

@AG You must be a typical airhead gay. Too scared to face the truth. People like you are why gay rights in this country are so far behind. Turn off TMZ and watch some real news that affects your life and your legal rights.

Grow a pair.

17. anon says

I was wonder about that late last night, but I was very tired. I guess they were being explicit without saying anything. The problem with the laws in Russia and Africa is that they are regressive. They are going backwards and it’s a sign of civilization in decline largely due to corruption and social unrest. Bad laws remain on the books in the US, but the general trend is positive. Most tech companies are pro-gay simply because their customers are pro-gay and they hire mostly college graduates. You think Chik-Fil-A hires college graduates?