Arizona | Jan Brewer | News

Governor Jan Brewer to Veto Arizona Bill That Would Allow Businesses to Discriminate Against Gays

Press_brewer

Governor Jan Brewer says she has vetoed SB 1062, the bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs.

Brewer's remarks:

Good evening, and thank you for joining me here today.

I am here to announce my decision on Senate Bill 1062.

As with every proposal that reaches my desk, I gave Senate Bill 1062 careful evaluation and deliberate consideration. I call them like I see them, despite the cheers or boos from the crowd.

I took the time necessary to make the RIGHT decision. I met or spoke with my attorneys, lawmakers and citizens supporting and opposing this legislation. I listened and asked questions. As Governor, I have protected religious freedoms when there is a specific and present concern that exists in OUR state. And I have the record to prove it. My agenda is to sign into law legislation that advances Arizona.

When I addressed the Legislature earlier this year, I made my priorities for this session abundantly clear… Among them are passing a responsible budget that continues Arizona’s economic Comeback.

From CEOs -- to entrepreneurs -- to business surveys -- Arizona ranks as one the best states to grow or start a business. Additionally, our IMMEDIATE challenge is fixing a broken Child Protection system. Instead, this is the first policy bill to cross my desk.

Senate Bill 1062 does not address a specific and present concern related to religious liberty in Arizona. I have not heard of one example in Arizona where a business owner’s religious liberty has been violated. The bill is broadly worded and could result in unintended and negative consequences.

After weighing all of the arguments, I vetoed Senate Bill 1062 moments ago. To the supporters of the legislation, I want you to know that I understand that long-held norms about marriage and family are being challenged as never before.

Our society is undergoing many dramatic changes. However, I sincerely believe that Senate Bill 1062 has the potential to create more problems than it purports to solve. It could divide Arizona in ways we cannot even imagine and no one would ever want.

Religious liberty is a core American and Arizona value, so is non-discrimination. Going forward, let’s turn the ugliness of the debate over Senate Bill 1062 into a renewed search for greater respect and understanding among ALL Arizonans and Americans. Thank you.

Read the veto letter HERE.

Here she is a photo she tweeted vetoing the bill:

Veto

Comments

1. YAY

Posted by: Moz's | Feb 26, 2014 7:50:35 PM

2. I'm surprised, her history was against her...

Posted by: Robert M. | Feb 26, 2014 7:53:23 PM

3. Wow. I wasn't expecting this.

Posted by: Clayton | Feb 26, 2014 7:55:01 PM

4. Cue the nut bags that will claim the gays bullied her into it

Posted by: Will | Feb 26, 2014 7:56:41 PM

5. She telegraphed this the other day when she said she was a "pro-business governor". Business had by that point, already made its position clearly known.

Posted by: Rawn | Feb 26, 2014 7:56:48 PM

6. She will now be targeted in her next primary campaign by NOM and Brian Brown.

That should seal her reelection prospects.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 26, 2014 7:58:06 PM

7. whattya know... she actually DID "do the right thing" like she said she would. #shocked

Posted by: graphicjack | Feb 26, 2014 7:58:15 PM

8. Randy

she is term limited

this is her last term so no worries

Posted by: Moz's | Feb 26, 2014 7:59:36 PM

9. Just for clarity - this wasn't actually an "ant-gay" bill.

The law would have allowed widespread discrimination. Businesses could just as easily discriminated against muslims or jews. Mormons could have discriminated against blacks for instance. Or women could have been denied the morning after pill.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Feb 26, 2014 7:59:41 PM

10. I dunno ... she pretty much had to veto the bill or face an economic onslaught. BTW, the White House petition to halt all American monies going to Uganda has taken off and has well over 600 signatures. Keep it up! Go here to sign if you haven't already done so: http://wh.gov/lPvmY

Your support is very much appreciated.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Feb 26, 2014 8:00:17 PM

11. She can't run again. She is term limited, more or less.

Posted by: BDR | Feb 26, 2014 8:00:22 PM

12. We have many businesses to thank for this victory. . .so send Apple, Delta, and all the others who supported the defeat of this heinous and unnecessary piece of legislation. They deserve our gratitude and should be patronized and supported with our dollars and future business.

Thank you!

Posted by: Keith | Feb 26, 2014 8:03:23 PM

13. She kind of had to at this point, no? I give her very little credit, she didn't do this out of kindness, compassion, morals....she did this for her state's economy.

That being said, I'm very happy it was vetoed, and am happy that all LGBT individuals in Arizona can breathe a sigh of relief. Now let's oust some of the jerks that passed this!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 26, 2014 8:04:14 PM

14. Can't say I would want to have cocktails with the woman...and I know her heart is in the wrong place...and yes, she's had way to much sun...and don't get me going on the "hair"?
    But, she did do the right thing and for that I am grateful...thank you Gov. Brewer.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 26, 2014 8:04:25 PM

15. I hate to say this, but Governor Jan Brewer looked awful tonight! Her hair was a mess, and that outfit was very drab. Her hairdresser and her personal groomer really need to do a better job. Given, they don't have much to work with, but they could have done a much better job tonight.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 26, 2014 8:04:26 PM

16. She is term limited, but she's trying to find a way get around the law and run for governor again. She's claiming the law is not clear.

It's great that she vetoed this bill. But let's not forget that actual legislators that the people of Arizona voted into office passed this bill in the first place. That itself is still shameful.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 26, 2014 8:08:43 PM

17. @Randy
    She's term limited out for Gov of Arizona.
    Unless she pulls a Bloomberg.

Sooner or later one of these will pass.

Time to go on offense and bring the battle to the states. We need to sue the states that have civil rights laws that don't include sexual orientation.

States have no rights to exclude a proven suspect class from those laws. By doing so states knowingly allow a suspect class to face discrimination. States must protect all citizens rights equally. Not just the ones with special interests or the ones they choose.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 26, 2014 8:11:13 PM

18. I have never been a fan of Jan Brewer, but I listened to her veto on this bill and she was able to articulate in a logical, intelligent and rational manner all the points why the bill is unnecessary and served no real need in Arizona.... I was very impressed and I give her big kudos on this.....

Posted by: Bernie | Feb 26, 2014 8:14:05 PM

19. Damn. I was seriously hoping she will sign it so that Az can turn blue ASAP. It's much better to recolor AZ than reelect those nuts.

Posted by: Ppp | Feb 26, 2014 8:14:24 PM

20. Well, duh… Superbowl 2015?

Posted by: LJC | Feb 26, 2014 8:15:05 PM

21. i, too, embarrassingly, was kind of hoping she'd sign the bill, just to be able to sit back, listen, and watch all the craziness that would ensue - including the conservative right wing religious nut jobs being forced to close shop when they attempted to apply the law as they felt appropriate.

Posted by: northalabama | Feb 26, 2014 8:23:52 PM

22. She did the right thing.

She also added that religious liberty is a value, so is NONDISCRIMINATION.

So people come on here commenting on her outfit and hair instead of being relieved?! So she wants to protect the border. Big deal. That makes her the devil? Nations are supposed to protect their borders. You don't think China, Japan, Germany, and any other country does the same?

Just celebrate and keep the asinine comments about her appearance out of it.

Posted by: Andy | Feb 26, 2014 8:23:56 PM

23. I'm with Andy. I don't care what she looked like or what her motives were. She did the right thing and she expressed herself in clear, logical, intelligent words.

Posted by: Clayton | Feb 26, 2014 8:28:44 PM

24. Just so those of you commenting on her re-election prospects know, she is not up for re-election. She will be out of office at the end of this year due to term limits.

Posted by: wheelie81 | Feb 26, 2014 8:31:56 PM

25. I think motives are an important aspect to her decision. It wasn't vetoed for the right reasons. If not for the economic downfall from signing the bill into law, she would have signed it. I don't understand how Christians can hate so much. I've asked God, but he remained silent...

Posted by: sam | Feb 26, 2014 8:37:20 PM