Arizona | News | Steve Kornacki

Steve Kornacki and State Rep. Chad Campbell on Arizona, Jan Brewer and the Anti-Gay Bill: VIDEO

Kornaci_campbell

Steve Kornacki, sitting in for Rachel Maddow on Friday, explored SB 1062, the bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs, in the context of past controversial Arizona issues (MLK Day, the immigration bill) and welcomed Arizona State Rep. Chad Campbell to discuss it.

BrewerCampbell said there's no indication whether she'll veto the bill, like she did a similar bill that crossed her desk last year when she was in a fight with the legislature over Obamacare funding.

Kornacki asked whether the bill and other controversial bills the state has seen are indicative of the views of people in Arizona and also looked at State Rep. Demion Clinco's powerful speech on the House floor.

Meanwhile, Governor Jan Brewer dodged questions about whether or not she would sign the bill when asked by reporters on Saturday:

"You know, the bill is in transmittal and I don't have to make a decision until next Friday so I've got plenty of time..."I need to explore it."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Boycott Arizona. Spend your money in New Mexico instead.

Posted by: trees | Feb 23, 2014 11:40:50 AM

2. Demion Clinco is an acquaintance of mine. He is a really nice man, so pleased that he is the state house now.

Posted by: homer | Feb 23, 2014 11:44:52 AM

3. As an Arizona resident, I again ashamed to be living here.

This cracker wrote this bill and is "mortified" at the attacks on this bill, I have no idea how she said this with a straight face.

Center for Arizona Policy President Cathi Herrod said in a statement:

"The attacks on SB 1062 show politics at its absolute worse. They represent precisely why so many people are sick of the modern political debate. Instead of having an honest discussion about the true meaning of religious liberty, opponents of the bill have hijacked this discussion through lies, personal attacks, and irresponsible reporting.

"Our elected leaders have a fundamental duty to protect the religious freedom of every Arizonan, and that's what SB 1062 is all about.

"Simply put, the fear-mongering from opponents is unrelated to the language of the bill, and proves that hostility towards people of faith is very real. It's a shame we even need a bill like this in America. But growing hostility against freedom in our nation, and the increasing use of government to threaten and punish its own citizens, has made it necessary.

"I urge Governor Brewer to send a clear message to the country that in Arizona, everyone, regardless of their faith, will be protected in Arizona by signing SB 1062."

What a joke.

Posted by: Owens | Feb 23, 2014 11:51:13 AM

4. How utterly embarrassing for AZ.

Posted by: Gerry | Feb 23, 2014 12:11:20 PM

5. Religion is rooted in hate.

Posted by: lou | Feb 23, 2014 1:02:20 PM

6. Despite the rhetoric of persecution what Herrod's group is really asking for is a state sanctioned exemption from laws that prohibit discrimination in the public arena.

Discrimination as a religious tenet.

The offensive rhetoric of this mindset now ask you to believe that 'religion is under attack'.

Religion isn't under attack.
    Discrimination (against anyone, not just LGBT) in the public arena enshrined into state law is under attack.

The irony here would be laughable but for her duplicity. Opponents of marriage equality accused LGBT of asking for 'special rights' for years. It was one of their biggest losing arguments. Here you have proof positive of who is in fact asking for special rights. Because apparently being able to discriminate makes Herrod a better Christian.

Posted by: BOOM! | Feb 23, 2014 1:09:10 PM

7. Cathi Herrod once tried to get the State Legislature to pass a law banning Tucson from offering joint library cards. She believes that god speaks directly to her.

Posted by: homer | Feb 23, 2014 1:22:13 PM

8. Allowing same-sex couples to marry is an attack on religious freedom in what way? Once again, evangelical effluvia have had their way and now we have a law in AZ that codifies the rights of christian fundamentalist filth to discriminate openly against LGBT people. I am now of the firm, unwavering opinion that the only good christian is a dead christian. I'll leave it to their god to decide how such an event shall occur.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 23, 2014 1:40:43 PM

9. I agree with the call for a boycott. I know I won't be doing any business in Arizona and will actively seek out products or services I would have obtained through Arizona in other States, like New Mexico. Even if Brewer doesn't sign it, the issue has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'll probably put my business money elsewhere.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Feb 23, 2014 2:16:10 PM

10. "I need to explore it"? Basically, everyone on the planet knows the substance of the bill...so she is clearly stupid enough not to be even remotely connected to politics. Stupid and nasty...must be GOP.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 23, 2014 3:17:27 PM

11. Am I the only one who sees a parallel between how the Nazis treated the Jews and Apartheid treated it black people in South Africa? Why is the opposition not calling them out on this?

Posted by: Ken | Feb 23, 2014 3:36:32 PM

12. The only way forward now is to tarnish AZ's name by associating it with Nazism, Apartheid and of course Russia

Posted by: Ken | Feb 23, 2014 3:39:37 PM

13. As a resident of Phoenix I urge people to boycott Arizona whether or not Brewer vetoes this bill. Economic impact seems to be the only power we have to challenge the far right in this state.

Posted by: stranded | Feb 23, 2014 4:15:20 PM