Arizona | Mississippi

Mississippi Guts Anti-Gay Segregation Bill After Arizona Controversy

One of the many similar anti-gay segregation bills to Arizona's SB 1062 that have been circulating (and, of late, being withdrawn) is pending in Mississippi, and lawmakers last night struck anti-LGBT discriminatory provisions in the bill, the Mississippi Business Journal reports:

MississippiThe action came on Senate Bill 2681, a measure approved 48-0 on Jan. 31 and sent on to the House. The bill was more popularly known for an amendment that requires inserting “In God We Trust” into the state seal, but a closer examination of it led legal experts to conclude that it would allow private businesses and government entities to discriminate based on religious grounds.

The subcommittee removed a key provision of SB 2681 ahead of Thursday’s consideration of the bill by the House Judiciary Committee B. The provision provides that a defendant in a discrimination lawsuit can assert a claim of defense on the grounds of a burden being placed on religious beliefs.

The ACLU said the provision would allow businesses to turn away customers on religious grounds and government officials to refuse to hire based on religious beliefs.

Seeking to quell the tide of state and national opposition that has grown the past couple of days, the Civil Subcommittee voted to mold the bill after the federal government’s 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act. The amendment limits the bill to addressing actions by government — not individuals or businesses.

Comments

1. Good old Mississippi - their never-ending race to the bottom of the barrel of humanity pridefully upheld!

Posted by: Bill | Feb 27, 2014 9:51:06 AM

2. Government of the Crackers, by the Crackers and for the Crackers.

Posted by: David | Feb 27, 2014 10:05:05 AM

3. I may have missed something, but isn't this a good thing? They could have done nothing and let the bill pass. Just asking - I live in MS so you don't have to convince me how backwoods when it comes to gay issues, but I think any small step is a good one!

Posted by: JSinMS | Feb 27, 2014 10:08:44 AM

4. I'm in Mississippi and the whole story is not a single idiot democrat in the state senate read the bill before they voted for it. They just all cowered down to the idea of what would happen if they didn't vote to force religion on others by putting it on the state seal. Some of them even fully support changing the seal on their own. There is no separation of state and hate in republican controlled states.

Posted by: RayJacksonMS2 | Feb 27, 2014 10:10:06 AM

5. my sister moved to mississippi at 51.
    she's been there about 20 years and has become a bigot through osmosis.
    she used to be a normal, relatively liberal long islander.
    two years ago she disinvited me from thanksgiving dinner because she didn't want her daughter's fiancee to know there was a gay man in the family.
    that was the last straw.
    mississippi. it's does something to otherwise good people.

Posted by: woody | Feb 27, 2014 12:07:36 PM

6. When Can I Marry My Consenting Gay Dog??? It Is An Alternative Lifestyle... Don't Be A Bigot...

Posted by: SamIam | Feb 27, 2014 1:02:34 PM

7. Sam, I'm impressed that you're even smart enough to find this site, let alone post (bigoted) comments. I guess inbreeding didn't totally screw you up, as you display only minimal mental defects.

Posted by: Tyler | Feb 27, 2014 2:19:32 PM

8. Yes, it's a small step for progress, but I still don't trust 'em. KILL THE BILL.

Posted by: Steven | Feb 27, 2014 2:20:46 PM