American Idol | MK Nobilette | News

BigGayDeal.com

American Idol's First Openly Gay Contestant MK Nobilette Stuns with Opening Performance: VIDEO

Mmk_nobilette

American Idol's first openly gay contestant MK Nobilette (who has two moms, as well!) got a standing ovation from the Idol arena away last night with her first performance, an intimate rendition of John Legend's "All of Me".

And while MK's performance was something to watch, a show of another sort was going on in the audience as one of her moms could not hold it together watching her daughter sing.

There are big things in store for this girl, hopefully.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Mk_moms

Comments

1. Misleading headline;she is not the first gay contestant. She is the first openly gay contestant. Clay Akin, Adam Lambert and many others have been gay, but did not come out during the competition phase.

Posted by: Clayton | Feb 19, 2014 8:52:01 AM

2. Oh come on. She sang a song. So what?

Posted by: NOT | Feb 19, 2014 8:57:15 AM

3. Who needs one million moms when you have just two.

Posted by: Tristram | Feb 19, 2014 8:58:48 AM

4. Yeah... sorry, just because she's a gay does not mean we have to support her. I don't think her performance was "stunning". She lacks breath control and I didn't see any emotional connection with the song. I won't be voting for her.

Posted by: Lance | Feb 19, 2014 8:59:54 AM

5. Completely not amazed by her voice.

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 19, 2014 9:01:48 AM

6. Yeah. It was just alright for me, dog. Granted, you can tell she was nervous, but I don't think she has much range.

Posted by: AJ | Feb 19, 2014 9:07:20 AM

7. I usually dislike most singers this show produces, but she is actually quite likable. She has a recognisable voice, and I got chills when she did those falsetto runs. Plus the moms are adorable.

Posted by: Chris K | Feb 19, 2014 9:07:21 AM

8. I support any out gay person in the media and in life. Newsflash you cynical bastards but there are many,many people still in this world who only want to see us dead. Visibility is progress.

Posted by: toomi | Feb 19, 2014 9:07:48 AM

9. MK was my favorite last night. Closely followed by Majesty and Malaya. What's up with all the M's? The others were pretty much forgettable but we'll see how weeks 2 and 3 go...

Posted by: AriesMatt | Feb 19, 2014 9:21:01 AM

10. The title said first openly gay contestant. As in this show actually allow to reveal the sexual orientation of a gay contestant. To be fare, the performance did not quite get me there. Especially if you have not invested on this particular contestant from the beginning. This is why I dislike shows like that. Making the story bigger than the talent itself. Perhaps she is really nervous on the first live show. She could barely catches her breath.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Feb 19, 2014 9:25:50 AM

11. ^^Only on Towleroad, where every bitter queen is a critic.

MK and Malaya...! Also a couple guys with some promise!

S* ck it, bitter queens.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Feb 19, 2014 9:49:30 AM

12. She's talented. Would love to hear her sing better material.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 19, 2014 9:51:27 AM

13. I thought she was fabulous - and beautiful!

Posted by: Joseph Shapiro | Feb 19, 2014 9:52:01 AM

14. Idol is bleeding ratings and needs to appear 'hip' and fresh, this is why it will play up the the emotional connection angle, the people with quirky backgrounds, etc. It's designed to get an emotional connection with their advertisers desired demographic, i.e. women.

It's not rocket science,folks.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 19, 2014 9:57:39 AM

15. @David, singing better material won't happen on "Idol," given they still have theme weeks like "Songs from the Year You Were Born," but I agree with you.

Posted by: Larry | Feb 19, 2014 10:01:00 AM

16. Wow, nice performance. And I can also safely say...most of you guys are a bunch of b*****s.

Posted by: zeddy | Feb 19, 2014 10:12:30 AM

17. She's definitely got the raw material--needs a little bit more time in the forges to be fired into Grade-A. But anyone can see/hear she's a potentially remarkable talent.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 19, 2014 10:17:29 AM

18. Just because she's gay doesn't change the fact that it was lukewarm for me, and sorry, but I won't lie and say that since someone's gay we "owe it to ourselves" to cheer them on. It's a singing show, and she didn't exactly provide any revelation here. Back when Latoya London or Jennifer Hudson sang, it was clear there was a tremendous talent and ability to connect with the song and the crowd. I didn't see it here, but she was perfectly serviceable.

Posted by: Hrm | Feb 19, 2014 10:46:08 AM

19. Beautiful voice. Not the most impressive instrument, but her delivery is sincere and heartfelt. I'm a fan.

Posted by: Chip | Feb 19, 2014 11:12:07 AM

20. I'll echo what a few people have said: she may not have the best voice, but there is an emotional connection that I think is undeniable. My partner watched it with me and didn't get it, but I did. I'm a huge fan of hers, and I'm excited to see what she does going forward.

Posted by: John | Feb 19, 2014 11:19:50 AM

21. Thoroughly disappointed with this cast of girls/women. Not a single person with a standout voice and artistry. Zzzzzzz

Posted by: Chuy | Feb 19, 2014 11:36:31 AM

22. The fact that an openly gay singer is 'news' for American Idol is just sad, considering that The Voice has been featuring out gays and lesbians for over 3 years now, since their very beginning. In fact, two of the singers that made it to The Voice's final 4 in Season One were out lesbians, Vicci Martinez and Beverly McClellan. That season also featured Nakia and Tyler Robinson.

Since then, the show has also proudly given us Michelle Chamuel, Cody Belew, De'Borah, Nic Hawk, Sarah Golden, Nathan Parrett, Daniel Rosa, Karina Iglesias, and others.

Posted by: Reginald | Feb 19, 2014 12:15:40 PM

23. Randy's wise advice to MK: "You've got to go out there and give it your all."

Wow. I'll bet she never thought of that before talking to Randy. Thank God he's still on the show.

Posted by: Miranda | Feb 19, 2014 12:19:18 PM

24. Every singer gets a standing ovation on Idol, even when they forget the lyrics. That being said, she was far from being the worst performance of the night.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 19, 2014 12:33:23 PM

25. Oh, and I voted for her just because a lot of people will vote against her just because of her orientation. It more of an F U to those people. I generally vote for not the best singer but the one I want to F the most, men sing tonight. Yes I'm shallow like that (but so are most the teenage girls watching).

Posted by: Craig | Feb 19, 2014 12:39:49 PM