Music | Music Video | News | Orchid and Hound

Orchid and Hound are Back with 'If You Stay': MUSIC VIDEO

2_orchidandhound

Back in November we featured "Go On", a spooky video from San Francisco-based ban Orchid and Hound. Here's their latest effort, called "If You Stay", which is a romantic, soaring ballad.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

About the band, via their Facebook page:

Orchid and Hound is comprised of 26 year old John Constantine and Lawrence Alarcon. The two met in opera class at a Los Angeles arts high school, fell in love, moved up to San Francisco, fell out of love... and formed a band. They gigged around California, had the opportunity to play at South by Southwest 2010, and flew east to play shows in Berlin. During this time they were writing and performing songs that became the fan-funded album, The Boyfriend, released in 2012. Orchid and Hound's music pairs lush arrangements with strong vocal harmonies - a sound of the past brought to the present with contemporary themes. The album is a reflection of the pair's experience in a world where young gay men still struggle to find their identity in society.

Comments

1. "I'll be your everything", "what we have is worth fighting for, what we want is so much more", "we can't have it all".

This is almost the definition of banal, dull-workmanlike lyrics. They're one-size-fits-all lyrics. It's oppressive being stuck at this gray-colored drab earnestness. It's like all the talent has been sucked away and only cliches are left behind.

Posted by: will | Feb 3, 2014 1:29:31 PM

2. @Will: I don't think anybody could've said it better.

Posted by: topher | Feb 3, 2014 1:38:34 PM

3. Jeez, that was the worst song I've ever heard. Pure clich├ęs.

Posted by: topher | Feb 3, 2014 1:40:35 PM

4. Will...a brilliantly apt summation. More than this music,"drab earnestness" covers a lot of gay stuff period.

Posted by: UFFDA | Feb 3, 2014 2:11:07 PM

5. Add my vote for Will's review. Only goes to show that decent production values and arrangements can't cover up a hot mess.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 3, 2014 3:04:45 PM

6. He has a great voice and I loved the video of SF.

Posted by: TYLER | Feb 3, 2014 3:53:55 PM

7. Love these guys. John Constantine might be my favorite voice ever. It's hard for me to imagine San Francisco without them.

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Feb 3, 2014 9:19:41 PM

8. Love these guys. John Constantine might be my favorite voice ever. It's hard for me to imagine San Francisco without them.

Posted by: Top to Bottom | Feb 3, 2014 9:19:42 PM

9. Good Dog, that is bad.

Posted by: scotsyank | Feb 4, 2014 5:01:03 AM

10. Some of these comments are pretty nasty. It's sad that we can't support each other. Seems like gay artists these days really can't win with the community.

I, personally, loved the song and checked out their other stuff. I'm happy to see this coming through the music scene. Great voices and unique sound. They have one more fan in me!

Posted by: PETERK | Feb 4, 2014 6:47:51 PM

11. I love that these queens are putting out something a little different... a little left of center. So refreshing to see homos who aren't either brainless muscle clones or empty cliches... they represent something true and organic. Excited for what they'll do next.

Oh, and to all the H8Rs... you guys are funny. Link to your music videos next time so we can compare this to something better? oh wait...

Posted by: Josh | Feb 4, 2014 7:02:03 PM

12. The negative criticism lives up to the stereotype of tired, bitter, vicious queens but of course it only takes a few minutes to sit at your keyboard and live up to a cliche yourselves whereas at least these young men are trying to put something creative in the universe. Go visit my YouTube page and use your slings and arrows against my cliched work too. "Patroclus" is a good place for you to start.

Posted by: Stephen Mead | Feb 4, 2014 7:04:09 PM