News | Piers Morgan

'Piers Morgan Tonight' to Be Canceled by CNN

Morgan_mock

Piers Morgan Tonight is going to be canceled, the NY Times reports:

CNN’s president, Jeffrey Zucker, has other problems, but none bigger than Mr. Morgan and his plum 9 p.m. time slot. Mr. Morgan said last week that he and Mr. Zucker had been talking about the show’s failure to connect and had decided to pull the plug, probably in March...

...Mr. Morgan said that his show, along with much of the rest of CNN, had been imprisoned by the news cycle and that he was interested in doing fewer appearances to greater effect — big, major interviews that would be events in themselves. Although a change has long been rumored, it was the first time that both he, and the CNN executives I talked to, acknowledged that his nightly show was on the way out. Plans for a replacement at the 9 o’clock hour are still underway, but Mr. Morgan and the network are in talks about him remaining at CNN in a different role.

Comments

1. I suppose we're supposed to celebrate this because of the recent antics of Janet Mock? No thanks. Piers was a very visible advocate who never EVER avoided putting bigots on the spot for anti-gay views.

Posted by: Hrm | Feb 24, 2014 10:19:48 AM

2. CNN, MSNBC, FOX, All of them have essentially turned into one form or another of TMZ. All they do is sensationalize the news and craft it to the lowest common denominator way possible. And much of it now has an underlying message of hate.

Posted by: mike | Feb 24, 2014 10:20:50 AM

3. That's what ya get for dissing Madonna too, seriously a turn off.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 24, 2014 10:24:44 AM

4. I've tried to like Piers and I've tried to watch this show, on and off, for a few years. Recent Janet Mock kefuffle aside, he just comes off as too snide and smug for my taste. Dunno. That's just me.

Posted by: greg | Feb 24, 2014 10:26:37 AM

5. He was a poor choice to replace Larry King. They should have chosen Joy Behar, and I'm hoping now they will give Joy a shot at it.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 24, 2014 10:41:52 AM

6. I was actually getting to like him. He wasn't afraid to call BS on all the bigots and right wing nutcases.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 24, 2014 10:44:24 AM

7. America is a meat and potatoes nation, and Piers Morgan was just too British to connect with his American audience. They couldn't identify with him and his accent.
    Better luck nest time Piers, and go and have a tasty dish of British Fish and Chips.

Posted by: David From Canada | Feb 24, 2014 10:49:00 AM

8. He's a grandstanding hack. Good riddance. I'm no flag-waving xenophobe, but you probably do need somebody a little more connected to the culture in that prominent time slot.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 24, 2014 10:56:25 AM

9. Good riddance, you bag of wind. You gave new meaning to yellow press.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Feb 24, 2014 11:41:35 AM

10. Okay, it's time for some sense from Tank. I have to say, it is to laugh reading these comments bashing Piers Morgan. Let's be honest... just about every pathetic, jealous, middle-aged queen around here would gladly have a go at the guy if given the chance, no matter how obnoxious he is as a broadcaster. So, I must say, I have to take all the Piers hating with a grain of salt. Hey, guys, I just have to keep it real!

Posted by: TANK | Feb 24, 2014 11:57:37 AM

11. While I'm sure the controversy and ratings played their part in the show's demise, the fact that he may be charged for his role in the phone hacking scandal was undoubtedly a major influence on the decision as well.

Posted by: Nat | Feb 24, 2014 12:21:05 PM

12. He came across as a pugnacious Brit. Gee, I wonder why he couldn't connect with the American audience?

Posted by: manbot | Feb 24, 2014 12:39:36 PM

13. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Dude was just another TV talking head so caught up in himself he didn't care that his egotism was obvious. "Smarmy" is the word for Pierce Morgan, and there's more than enough of that on TV nowadays! I agree that he was a horrible replacement for Larry King (but frankly, I didn't care for Larry King, either).

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Feb 24, 2014 1:48:11 PM

14. Well, he's too loathed in the UK to ever return there, so he's got quite a dilemma.

Posted by: anon | Feb 24, 2014 2:52:23 PM

15. Who still has cable?

Posted by: Arkansassy | Feb 24, 2014 2:59:09 PM

16. I realized Piers wasn't the right fit for American viewers during CNN's 24 hour coverage of Queen Elizabeth's "barge down the Thames" jubilee coverage. Piers practically wet his pants with unbridled joy and emotion over the lackluster royal event and said "extraordinary!" about 600 times.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 24, 2014 3:42:44 PM

17. Agree with most of the comments here. Theoretically, he never had a chance. Begone, tart sir.

Janet Mock WAS fabulous. What was the kerfluffle?

Joy Behar is a BRILLIANT recommendation. She connects to everyone, on every level.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 24, 2014 4:33:06 PM

18. @Tinkerbelle I was referring to the Twitter war both Piers and Janet got into right after her appearance. Janet felt offended by Piers' constant mentioning of 'you were born a man, though'. And a few other asides that Janet didn't find tasteful. Instead of handling the post interview with decorum or tact, he flung mud back and her for a day or so. Just showed his utter lack of tact.

Posted by: greg | Feb 24, 2014 4:43:21 PM

19. Good. I hope this leads to the loss of his work visa as well.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 24, 2014 5:26:41 PM

20. Piers Morgan is an evil and dishonest piece of sh*t. He helped the insane right wing UK government of Margaret Thatcher to stay in power so long because Piers was happy to keep taking the money from Rupert Murdoch to be Editor of one of the most corrupt and dishonest daily newspapers in the UK. Piers is scum. Let someone decent have the job !

Posted by: Icebloo | Feb 24, 2014 7:27:50 PM

21. @Gregg I would love for Piers to lose his work visa too but he is a millionaire so he isn't made to follow the same rules as everyone else.
    Plus did you know actors, sports stars, musicians & famous people can get work visas within days but people like Registered Nurses have to wait TEN YEARS ! That just shows the priorities of the USA.

Posted by: Icebloo | Feb 24, 2014 7:30:23 PM

22. Good riddance. I don't want fake allies.

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 24, 2014 7:49:19 PM

23. Thank God..hated the show and was always subjected to it at the gym. All these shows that pass themselves as news but are nothing more than the host's commentary...tired of them regardless if they are on the right or on the left.

Posted by: calpoidog | Feb 24, 2014 7:51:35 PM

24. MSNBC is torture to watch. It really is. For that matter, pretty much all broadcast and cable TV is lame, with rare exceptions.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 24, 2014 9:21:41 PM

25. This is wonderful news! I neevr liked the guy. He was so biased, even though I mostly agreed with his leftist opinions. I miss Larry King. He was not judgmental and he let the guests talk. Let the viewer decide if they like or don't like their opinion. We didn't need a fussy Brit to intervene on our domestic affairs. I am not much of a fan of Anderson Cooper for some of the same reasons above. I realize in the post Fox News era, the media feels the need to insert biased commentary to cater to specific viewing segments, but I find it tiring.

Posted by: Jon | Feb 24, 2014 9:45:44 PM