Music | Music Video | News | Ryan Dolan

Ryan Dolan, Who Just Came Out, Releases Powerful Music Video About Two Gay Teens: WATCH

2_dolan

Earlier this month we reported that Ryan Dolan, Ireland’s contestant in Eurovision’s Song Contest last year, came out of the closet in an interview with Radio One.

DolanSaid Dolan: “In school I was confused about who I was, and it was really hard for me growing up because of that. It was hard to deal with because I knew that I was gay, but I couldn't get the courage to talk to someone about it...Thinking back now I wish I would have came out about it a long time ago. I think my youth was wasted worrying all the time about it. If I had been more open back then I would have been happier.”

The video for Dolan's new single, "Start Again", which he spoke about in the interview, is out now and focuses on two gay teens who know they're gay and the issues they're faced with from unaccepting peers.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The single is out March 7.

(via paul canning)

3_dolan

Comments

1. Very moving. We are winning because our struggle is for l♥ve and that's what those that oppose us do not have or will ever feel.

Posted by: 1♥ | Feb 27, 2014 1:23:31 PM

2. I'm sure those who oppose us know love...just not for us. Great video but not into the music style, congrats!

Posted by: St.Eve | Feb 27, 2014 1:29:48 PM

3. I hate to sound negative, but I am sick to death of tragic queers. Is it too much to ask for empowering portrayals?

Posted by: Kevin F | Feb 27, 2014 1:48:05 PM

4. What? How old is this kid anyway, who thinks he's wasted his youth? SMH.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Feb 27, 2014 1:56:57 PM

5. Then I have to ask ST.EVE, if a parent that opposes people being Gay finds out that their child is Gay and kicks that child out of the house to die on the streets, did that parent ever really love their child?

And to Kevin F, pretending a problem doesn’t exist doesn’t make it go away. We need to face our problems head on. It’s the only way to solve them.

Posted by: 1♥ | Feb 27, 2014 2:01:03 PM

6. What a great singer! Good-looking too! Sad video but the message is important and the song itself is up-lifting.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 27, 2014 2:49:46 PM

7. We can face our problems without caving in to them. Would a video where the young man decides that his life is worth more than his backstabbing boyfriend avoid the issue?

The short film "Trevor" managed to deal with the issue of gay teen suicide without resorting to the tragic queer stereotype.

Posted by: Kevin F | Feb 27, 2014 2:52:52 PM

8. Too depressing.

Posted by: JD | Feb 27, 2014 4:19:59 PM

9. Yes the video is tragic and depressing but it is true to life. A lot of gay kids have and continue to commit suicide due to bullying, abuse, being closeted, and just feeling like there is no hope and nothing to live for. We should all try to help and support others we recognize that are going through that situation.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 27, 2014 4:36:04 PM

10. Geez, relax 1♥...I said I liked the video just not the musical style, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Posted by: St.Eve | Feb 27, 2014 5:46:30 PM

11. Yes, a happy ending would have been nice. But Ryan Dolan is making a statement, and powerfully so. Too many teens are killing themselves. Sometimes a punch in the gut is more effective than a feel-good ending. This one punched me in the gut. Thank you Ryan Dolan!

Posted by: Steven Stanley | Feb 27, 2014 8:17:25 PM

12. @Pervy McPerv

He's 28.

Posted by: Will | Feb 27, 2014 8:30:29 PM

13. Downer video (though well-shot), but Ryan's vocals and songwriting chops are the real deal. He should start writing a Broadway score immediately.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 27, 2014 8:34:23 PM

14. What is with the cholo eyebrows?

Posted by: enchantra | Feb 28, 2014 10:15:18 AM

15. He and Steve Grand should do a song together.

Posted by: mick | Feb 28, 2014 10:35:16 AM

16. This video is for his Irish fans, who don't see this kind of thing enough. Stop attacking.

Posted by: reality | Feb 28, 2014 5:05:25 PM