Comments

1. tinkerbelle says

I guess I appreciate Colbert’s comments, but I can’t help but assume that, for the percentage of people who watch this show and think that it’s real news, the “comedy” therein is taken the wrong way. This assumption is based on the theory that if someone doesn’t have the intelligence to understand what “parody” is, they’re going to think: yeah, old Steve is right, Sam should go back in the closet. And so on. “Bigot” may mean “the thing that turns on the water”. Overall reverse/negative effect. Any opinions?

2. jtramon says

Really Tinkerbelle?

Oh. Wait. The NBC Evening News with Brian Williams also features a laugh track all the way through it. My bad.

Colbert is probably the best of the pack at what he does.

3. Alex Parrish says

@TINKERBELLE — I understand and appreciate your concern but I think it is mis-placed. If people think Colbert is delivering hard news and don’t ‘get’ that it is satire, the American education system has failed miserably OR (and more likely) they are brainwashed beyond redemption.

4. crispy says

Good grief, Tinkerbelle, are you dumb.

No one who watches Stephen Colbert doesn’t realize that it’s comedy. That “Comedy Central” logo in the right corner is probably their first clue.

5. tinkerbelle says

jtramon, Alex Parrish, crispy: naive is not le mot du jour. Grow up and smell the coffee.

JackFknTwist: I’m watching this from France.

FuryOfFirestorm: Thank you.

6. tinkerbelle says

jtramon, Alex Parrish, crispy: Also, if you had noted my proposal correctly, you would have seen that this is conjecture.

Don’t play with Tinkerbelle, she is far from stupid.

7. anon says

I’m sure many NFL agents are thinking the exact same thing. I’d say his chances of getting drafted are 50/50 and the odds of playing if he were drafted about 15% 1-in-6ish.

8. Derrick from Philly says

@ “Don’t play with Tinkerbelle, she is far from stupid.”

All right, TinkerBELLE!

Don’t mess with Belle,..no, no, no, no

Don’t mess with Belle…no, no, no, no

9. Mark Twain says

Sam will get hired by a major team, with all corporate and political pressure from above. He will get a major $pon$or… And 3 more players will come out before summer. The floodgates are open.

10. Bill says

My guess is that it that coming out wont hurt him at all, and might be an advantage.

First, the NFL has an image problem – like the Fourty Niners player who was tricked into “locker-room-banter” mode by an interviewer and ended up making homophobic remarks on camera, only to have to go to “sensitivity training” and attend various events to show he has reformed. Hiring someone they know is gay would help.

Second, by coming out at this point, it will be “old news” if they hire him, so they don’t have to worry about a big coming out announcement, perhaps triggered by some unplanned event, colliding with their marketing by distracting from the message of the week (geared, of course, to getting people to go to the games or watch them on TV, all to increase the team’s revenue.)

11. says

I want to like Colbert but he’s made many MANY transphobic comments in the past and once he was finally called out on it, he apologized but in the same breath said something else offensive. I much prefer Jon Stewart.