Barack Obama | News | NSA | Rand Paul

BigGayDeal.com

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) to Sue Obama Administration Over NSA Surveillance: VIDEO

Paul

GlobalPost

US Sen. Rand Paul filed a lawsuit Wednesday against President Barack Obama and others over the National Security Agency's sweeping surveillance programs, citing constitutional violations.

“The Bill of Rights protects all citizens from general warrants," the Republican from Kentucky said when he announced the litigation. "I expect this case to go all the way to the Supreme Court and I predict the American people will win.”

Paul filed the lawsuit with Matt Kibbe, president of the tea party-aligned group FreedomWorks.

Former Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli will serve as lead counsel.

Besides Obama, the lawsuit also named National Intelligence Director James Clapper, outgoing NSA Director Keith Alexander and FBI Director James Comey.

Other lawsuits over the NSA's phone surveillance practices have been filed in recent months, but Paul's legal challenge is different because it's a class-action suit.

“A class action would be Rand Paul, not just suing on his own behalf, but on behalf all people, known and unknown, who are similarly situated,” Stephen Vladeck, a law professor at American University, told MSNBC. “Ostensibly, he could be suing on behalf of all Americans, or all Americans hypothetically affected by these court orders.”

Earlier this month, Paul said he believed every American with a cellphone would be eligible to join the class-action suit.

The son of three-time presidential candidate Ron Paul, Rand Paul has long been an ardent critic of US surveillance programs, which he says infringe on the basic civil liberties enshrined in the Constitution.

In a YouTube video released this week, Paul compared the NSA phone surveillance to the warrantless searches practiced by the British military prior to America's independence.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I can't wait to see how Ciccinelli manages to add a dig against sodomy in his filings.

Posted by: AKConstant | Feb 12, 2014 2:48:20 PM

2. Grandstanding ahead of his 2016 run.

Posted by: tranquilo | Feb 12, 2014 2:54:54 PM

3. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I actually agree with Rand Paul on this one. BUT, the case will be stopped dead in its tracks once the U.S. government asserts National Security (and I don't believe Obama can be sued while in office at any rate).

Posted by: Zlick | Feb 12, 2014 2:56:04 PM

4. NSA violations notwithstanding, Rand Paul is ONLY doing this because he is an attention-whore and wants publicity for his next campaign. Were he to be in a position of authority, you can forget about it.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Feb 12, 2014 3:03:08 PM

5. GOOD FOR HIM!! I am with Rand Paul 100% on this one. Why should we all just sit around and continue letting our government do whatever the hell they want? I don't care if you are Democrat or Republican, this should be an issue that we are all fighting.

Posted by: Luke | Feb 12, 2014 3:07:44 PM

6. At TAXPAYER expense!!!!! The next question to Rand Paul should be how much is this going to cost taxpayers? Also, why as a sitting Senator, who is representing not only his State, but the people of the United States, is not taking action within Congress?

Posted by: CB | Feb 12, 2014 3:11:47 PM

7. Even if he sometimes make sense, that doesn't mean he's not a nutcase.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 12, 2014 3:12:34 PM

8. I hate having to agree with such a nutball. It makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Feb 12, 2014 3:15:14 PM

9. I agree @CB. As a sitting US Senator, he should introduce legislation curtailing the NSA and repealing Patriot Acts I & II. But, he's an attention seeking whore (vying for the top title with Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona) and that is all this is truly about.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Feb 12, 2014 3:33:14 PM

10. Never mind the fact that he was one of the cheerleaders when Bush II implemented the spying programs.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Feb 12, 2014 3:41:22 PM

11. & yet he thinks the government should force rape victims to carry a baby to term

Posted by: Moz's | Feb 12, 2014 4:11:16 PM

12. Rand is the only Republican looking after you and me. Even the Democrats have been incredibly silent in the face of this surveillance.

Posted by: brian | Feb 12, 2014 4:29:04 PM

13. No complaint when it was enacted and used under a Republican. Just like recess appointments. Reagan made 270 Bush another 170. Obama makes 90 and now they want it declared unconstitutional.

You really can't play ball with an opponent that cheats at every opportunity. Hear this Leahy? They only want you to play fair when it's to their benefit. It's not a zero sum equation.

There are legislative ways to restrict the NSA. Suing the President is nothing more than extremely shallow attention grabbing. And this proves Paul to be one of the most disingenuous people in DC. Shouldn't expect anything better from a guy that advocated for lying & cheating as viable strategies in elections.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 12, 2014 4:36:59 PM

14. It's terrible that Rand Paul is the person doing this, which is long overdue. He's a lowlife.

Where are the people of integrity?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 12, 2014 5:33:21 PM

15. does he realize that when they surveilled him they didn't find anything? just empty space.

Posted by: mike/ | Feb 12, 2014 6:28:24 PM

16. He's just appealing to his base. It will bode well for him if he actively seeks the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. Personally, I don't care if the NSA is spying on me, because 1) I'm not conducting any illegal activity, and 2) I'm amused by the possibility that someone else might be getting off to my sexting and salacious phone calls. Ha!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 12, 2014 6:29:26 PM

17. @Spacecadet, I'm not conducting any illegal activity either, and it doesn't bother me much if somebody sees my sexts either, but the very fact that our government was secretly spying on us, lied about it, and is continuing to do so is a loss of liberty that I am not willing to take. What happened to our free society?

Posted by: Luke | Feb 12, 2014 6:48:31 PM

18. I think this case is headed for an early dismissal. He doesn't have standing to sue and the courts will tell him to take it to Congress. This case has no merit and is all about getting him publicity.

Posted by: RWG | Feb 12, 2014 6:58:59 PM

19. Just more polished hypocrisy from this Sociopath....

Posted by: Ankerich | Feb 12, 2014 8:37:35 PM

20. If these identical revelations & this identical lawsuit came out under a Republican president and it was a Democrat suing, people here would be screaming in the guys defense, cheering him on, staging marches in support of his crusade.

Maybe you think I'm Republican? I'm not, never have been, never will be. But this topic is a perfect example of the "which team are you on" mentality that's turning all of us into sheep. We get the police state we deserve.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 12, 2014 8:46:10 PM

21. Usually members of a class action suit are given the opportunity to opt-out of the suit, I would like to do so at this time. I want nothing to do with that insane man...ever.

Posted by: JEFF YORK | Feb 12, 2014 9:37:46 PM

22. You know, you can get worked up over this all you want. This is not new. Your government has been doing this for years. That's what governments don't talk about, but all do. The issue is front page now because of leaks. Communications have been under surveillance as long as there has been means to do so. And Congress and Presidents have pretty much given NSA free rein to do so. Republicans have been as permissive to NSA snooping as Democrats. If their guy was in office, you would never have heard a word about this.

Posted by: Jalbec | Feb 12, 2014 10:01:31 PM

23. @Jeff, perfectly said. The problem with politics in America is that even if someone on the other side of the political aisle has a good idea, you cannot support it. It's pathetic. And you are correct, it is turning people into sheep, and gays are the worst sheep.

Posted by: Luke | Feb 13, 2014 12:58:22 PM