Comments

1. Zlick says

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I actually agree with Rand Paul on this one. BUT, the case will be stopped dead in its tracks once the U.S. government asserts National Security (and I don’t believe Obama can be sued while in office at any rate).

2. Alex Parrish says

NSA violations notwithstanding, Rand Paul is ONLY doing this because he is an attention-whore and wants publicity for his next campaign. Were he to be in a position of authority, you can forget about it.

3. Luke says

GOOD FOR HIM!! I am with Rand Paul 100% on this one. Why should we all just sit around and continue letting our government do whatever the hell they want? I don’t care if you are Democrat or Republican, this should be an issue that we are all fighting.

4. CB says

At TAXPAYER expense!!!!! The next question to Rand Paul should be how much is this going to cost taxpayers? Also, why as a sitting Senator, who is representing not only his State, but the people of the United States, is not taking action within Congress?

5. says

I agree @CB. As a sitting US Senator, he should introduce legislation curtailing the NSA and repealing Patriot Acts I & II. But, he’s an attention seeking whore (vying for the top title with Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona) and that is all this is truly about.

6. says

No complaint when it was enacted and used under a Republican. Just like recess appointments. Reagan made 270 Bush another 170. Obama makes 90 and now they want it declared unconstitutional.

You really can’t play ball with an opponent that cheats at every opportunity. Hear this Leahy? They only want you to play fair when it’s to their benefit. It’s not a zero sum equation.

There are legislative ways to restrict the NSA. Suing the President is nothing more than extremely shallow attention grabbing. And this proves Paul to be one of the most disingenuous people in DC. Shouldn’t expect anything better from a guy that advocated for lying & cheating as viable strategies in elections.

7. SpaceCadet says

He’s just appealing to his base. It will bode well for him if he actively seeks the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. Personally, I don’t care if the NSA is spying on me, because 1) I’m not conducting any illegal activity, and 2) I’m amused by the possibility that someone else might be getting off to my sexting and salacious phone calls. Ha!

8. Luke says

@Spacecadet, I’m not conducting any illegal activity either, and it doesn’t bother me much if somebody sees my sexts either, but the very fact that our government was secretly spying on us, lied about it, and is continuing to do so is a loss of liberty that I am not willing to take. What happened to our free society?

9. RWG says

I think this case is headed for an early dismissal. He doesn’t have standing to sue and the courts will tell him to take it to Congress. This case has no merit and is all about getting him publicity.

10. Jeff says

If these identical revelations & this identical lawsuit came out under a Republican president and it was a Democrat suing, people here would be screaming in the guys defense, cheering him on, staging marches in support of his crusade.

Maybe you think I’m Republican? I’m not, never have been, never will be. But this topic is a perfect example of the “which team are you on” mentality that’s turning all of us into sheep. We get the police state we deserve.

11. JEFF YORK says

Usually members of a class action suit are given the opportunity to opt-out of the suit, I would like to do so at this time. I want nothing to do with that insane man…ever.

12. Jalbec says

You know, you can get worked up over this all you want. This is not new. Your government has been doing this for years. That’s what governments don’t talk about, but all do. The issue is front page now because of leaks. Communications have been under surveillance as long as there has been means to do so. And Congress and Presidents have pretty much given NSA free rein to do so. Republicans have been as permissive to NSA snooping as Democrats. If their guy was in office, you would never have heard a word about this.

13. Luke says

@Jeff, perfectly said. The problem with politics in America is that even if someone on the other side of the political aisle has a good idea, you cannot support it. It’s pathetic. And you are correct, it is turning people into sheep, and gays are the worst sheep.