Arizona | George Takei | News | Ronan Farrow

George Takei Slams Arizona's Anti-Gay Bill in Talk with Ronan Farrow: VIDEO

Farrow_takei

Actor and activist George Takei joined Ronan Farrow yesterday to offer his articulate assessment of SB 1062, the Arizona bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays, and other bills like it under consideration in other states.

Said Takei:

"The health of the economy is what politicians are supposed to protect. Not this phony religious freedom. That argument is just a veil over personal prejudice and you cannot write personal prejudice into civil law and you certainly cannot write religious values into civil law. And so these legislators don't know the constitution. They apparently don't listen either because in the legislature they were told that this is going to do serious damage and stain the reputation of a beautiful state."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I had no idea Ronan had his own show!

Posted by: first time commenting | Feb 26, 2014 8:24:37 AM

2. Gotta love George -- one of the sharpest, most well-spoken and informed activists we have.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 26, 2014 8:27:17 AM

3. Watched Mr. Sinatra's show Monday. It's aimed at a very young audience. MSNBC is definitely going after that segment with it.
    That's good for us, as it will help cement the 18-29 base for the democratic party, something Fox could never do with a show on its channel.
    I hope he presses for massive voter registration for young people in the run up to the midterm elections. He could do for young people what Al Sharpton did for blacks in 2012 when the GOP was heavily engaged in voter suppression. Get his constituency active and out to the polls.

Posted by: woody | Feb 26, 2014 8:28:56 AM

4. I agree with Woody. If you watch and listen to one entire episode of Ronan's show you will see/hear how his entire vocabulary is geared toward an under-30 market. He uses terms like weed (rather than marijuana); wears a jacket but never a tie, and his shirt is unbuttoned two buttons. He also, at times, talks to his guests as if they are superior to himself.

Posted by: mike | Feb 26, 2014 8:39:00 AM

5. this is TR so i'll say... i wish ronan was biting my pillow

Posted by: Qj201 | Feb 26, 2014 8:47:53 AM

6. Takei is erudite, articulate...and eloquent. He's funny as fack, too. George for Preznit!

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 26, 2014 8:56:33 AM

7. Is Ronan Farrow still in the closet?

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 26, 2014 9:25:24 AM

8. You took the words right out of my keypad, MARYM!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 26, 2014 9:51:05 AM

9. Is that a Sponge Bob cup I see in front of the kid talking to George? Ronan Farrow should be reporting on the Nickelodeon Channel.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Feb 26, 2014 10:01:40 AM

10. MaryM -- I was reading an article about the launch of his show and in it (because it's clearly a pink elephant in the room issue) the journalist said that he's had relationships with both men and women but 'doesn't like labels.'

We could be snarky and suggest he'll come to the logical conclusion, or say that he should just come out as bi, but there is a fairly sizable contingent of youngish and young LGBT people who don't like to use labels because they don't think (at least their own view of them) fits.

It's kind of like me when I came out deciding to use gay even though I wouldn't say I'm 100% gay on the Kinsey scale since I have had occasional and real attractions to women.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 26, 2014 10:05:23 AM

11. ronan, if you're reading this thread, use rev. al as a mentor to work on how to get young people registered to vote and to the polls. Al was my hero for the way he turned republican voter suppression into a progressive asset in 2012. He was totally on it.

Posted by: woody | Feb 26, 2014 10:14:51 AM

12. Like many of his generation, Ronan has resisted declaring an orientation label, but acknowledges "dating" both men and women. NYC gay scene rumors him a "power bottom." That suits my imagination.

Posted by: Rascal | Feb 26, 2014 10:38:16 AM

13. MSNBC, shameful, replacing Andrea Mitchell
    with Ronan Farrow? What is his news experience?

Posted by: Will | Feb 26, 2014 10:44:54 AM

14. So which females has Ronan Farrow dated?

Has he EVER dated a woman?

People who don't like labels are a bit cowardly in my gay opinion.

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 26, 2014 10:56:31 AM

15. Ronan is fine in whatever he believes he should be identified as. It is HIS sexuality, his life. Going to extremes, whether forcing someone to identify as gay for the cause or because of discrimination, is just that: Extreme.

Now I work in Finance, and if I did not know the rules and regulations governing my business, you know what would happen to me?

I would be fired.

If my religion is intolerant of people of color, men with no beards, divorcées, fatherless children, hymen-less unmarried women, and I opt to tout my religious beliefs in the work place, guess what?

I would be fired.

The amazing George T. has skimmed on something quite important: Why in the world so many who don't know the first thing about not only the Constitution, but the basis of laws governing the United States of A. are not losing their jobs???

Either give them the proper training to become worthy employees of our tax dollars, or fire them. At the very first hint of un-American suggestions of mis-management.

Posted by: Mags | Feb 26, 2014 11:31:05 AM

16. I don't care who he's dated... his journalistic skills are poor. MSNBC does itself no favors hiring him.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 26, 2014 12:43:50 PM

17. This is like a college TV station. Rowan sounds like a queen. And what will be done if this passes? The Olympics?

Posted by: Neil | Feb 26, 2014 1:36:50 PM

18. Ronan is a brilliant guy - graduated college at 16, Yale Law School. Rhodes Scholar - but seems ill-at-ease on camera right now. I would give him a few weeks to relax and find his own style. I will hold my verdict on his TV performance until then.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 26, 2014 1:52:57 PM

19. the guy has worked hard studied hard has worked for the state department and i think people really need to give him a chance. why are people always so quick to pile on to someone like ronan .

Posted by: walter | Feb 26, 2014 4:44:29 PM

20. Can George reprise his role as Mr. Sulu and have Scotti beam the people who signed the bill into the depths of the nearest sewage treatment plan?

Posted by: Bill | Feb 26, 2014 5:56:09 PM

21. Being 'gay' or 'bi' is an identity / label.

Being 'homosexual' or 'bisexual' is not an identity - it is an orientation.

Ronan Farrow's claim that he does not like labels is pathetic.

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 27, 2014 6:07:16 AM