Barack Obama | News | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Ugandan President Museveni Delays Signing of Anti-Gay Bill, Asks U.S. for Help

Ugandan President Museveni today hedged on his commitment to sign the anti-homosexuality bill, saying that information and reaction he had received since announcing his decision has prompted him to seek more information.

MuseveniWrote Museveni in a statement published by the Ugandan Observer:

Their unanimous conclusion was that homosexuality, contrary to my earlier thinking, was behavioural and not genetic.  It was learnt and could be unlearnt.  I told them to put their signatures to that conclusion which they did.  That is why I declared my intention to sign the Bill, which I will do.

I have now received their signed document, which says there is no single gene that has been traced to cause homosexuality.  What I want them to clarify is whether a combination of genes can cause anybody to be homosexual.  Then my task will be finished and I will sign the Bill.

After my statement to that effect which was quoted widely around the World, I got reactions from some friends from outside Africa.  Statements like: “it is a matter of choice” or “whom they love” which President Obama repeated in his statement would be most furiously rejected by almost the entirety of our people.

It cannot be a matter of choice for a man to behave like a woman or vice-versa.  The argument I had pushed was that there could be people who are born like that or “who they are”, according to President Obama’s statement.

I, therefore, encourage the US government to help us by working with our Scientists to study whether, indeed, there are people who are born homosexual.  When that is proved, we can review this legislation.

I would be among those who will spearhead that effort.  That is why I had refused to sign the Bill until my premise was knocked down by the position of our Scientists.

I would like to discourage the USA government from taking the line that passing this law will “complicate our valued relationship” with the USA as President Obama said.  Countries and Societies should relate with each other on the basis of mutual respect and independence in decision making.

Read the full statement here.

Comments

1. i don't trust this guy at all. period. he's like a snake in the grass, slithering around hidden in the blades of grass....just waiting to dart out and bite someone in the ass.

Posted by: tinhouston | Feb 21, 2014 11:31:54 AM

2. Since when did you need genetic evidence to not massacre people? Ugh, what a horrific world it is for anti-gay people.

Posted by: ggrr | Feb 21, 2014 11:33:35 AM

3. "I would like to discourage the USA government from taking the line that passing this law will “complicate our valued relationship” with the USA as President Obama said. Countries and Societies should relate with each other on the basis of mutual respect and independence in decision making."

It's like bigots the world over don't get that their continued bigotry might mean some adverse outcomes for them. Not that I support cutting off aid, but damn, son, you cannot both have your cake and eat your cake.

Posted by: Christ | Feb 21, 2014 11:33:39 AM

4. Yeah, so this means, "Whoa, let's not be so HASTY here...please still give us all the money you dump our way, 'cause we haven't finished remodeling the houses we built with your help". Screw him, and them. BREAK OFF RELATIONS.

Posted by: Oliver Wendell Douglas | Feb 21, 2014 11:35:20 AM

5. Oh but he neglects other important aspects to this whole situation which is the right to a private life, the right to equal treatment under the law (equal treatment does not look at gender), and the right to self determination - which all challenge his view that the law is okay if gay people choose to be gay which we don't. The arguments for this law are deeply flawed and highlight how unappreciated individual liberties are in some African countries for they allow him to make this argument, and in his mind he is being fair. I'd 'LOL' if this did not involve human lives.

Posted by: westy | Feb 21, 2014 11:36:53 AM

6. Oh but he neglects other important aspects to this whole situation which is the right to a private life, the right to equal treatment under the law (equal treatment does not look at gender), and the right to self determination - which all challenge his view that the law is okay if gay people choose to be gay which we don't. The arguments for this law are deeply flawed and highlight how unappreciated individual liberties are in some African countries for they allow him to make this argument, and in his mind he is being fair. I'd 'LOL' if this did not involve human lives.

Posted by: westy | Feb 21, 2014 11:36:56 AM

7. "I, therefore, encourage the US government to help us by working with our Scientists to study whether, indeed, there are people who are born homosexual. When that is proved, we can review this legislation."

These troglodytes believe that gay men are child molesters who want to rape their children. What difference would it make if we could prove that gay people are born gay?

Posted by: Gigi | Feb 21, 2014 11:39:06 AM

8. Money talks.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 21, 2014 11:40:09 AM

9. "Countries and Societies should relate with each other on the basis of mutual respect and independence in decision making."

In other words, a person should not be free to love as he chooses, but Ugandans should be free to hate as they choose.

Got it.

Posted by: JJ | Feb 21, 2014 11:40:56 AM

10. The idea that he thinks he has "scientists" able to correctly address this question is laughable.

Posted by: AdamTh | Feb 21, 2014 11:42:14 AM

11. Getting nervous about losing that US aid.

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 21, 2014 11:42:20 AM

12. As the most powerful Nation of the world we can make a different. It is time that the US throws its weigh behind what is good and just in the World. Our moral support goes a long way in places like Uganda, Ukraine and Venezuela, places were people just want to be freed.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 21, 2014 11:47:51 AM

13. The first thing you need to do, Mr. President, is get the opinion of legitimate scientists instead of the Pseudo-Scientists advising you. Your advisors are allowing religious bigotry to dictate their arguments..

Posted by: Robert M. | Feb 21, 2014 11:48:20 AM

14. Religious affiliation is a choice. No one ever questions if there is a gene behind religious preference.

Posted by: elwoodl | Feb 21, 2014 11:50:11 AM

15. First off, I didn't know that Obama sent him such an amazing letter. I'm glad to have a president willing to take a stand for me and people like me in other countries.
    Second, as many other posts have touched on, he's worried about the last line only, which suggests that US would stop sending aid to his country over this. Money is the only basis of his crooked rationality.

Posted by: AlterEgo1980 | Feb 21, 2014 11:50:17 AM

16. you know, it allows irritates the hell out me when I hear...'he or she chooses to be gay..' are you serious? why would I choose to be gay if I was going to be humiliated, bullied, beaten up, or murdered because of who I CHOSE to love?
    Come on, would you choose to be gay so that you could experience all of what many of us have gone through? Idiots.

Posted by: tinhouston | Feb 21, 2014 11:50:56 AM

17. This sounds like a mission for Ambassador Gaga.

Posted by: ROBERT | Feb 21, 2014 11:51:25 AM

18. I meant to say in my previous post... "it ALWAYS irritates the hell..."

Posted by: tinhouston | Feb 21, 2014 11:53:59 AM

19. His wrists are awfully limp.

Posted by: Cubby | Feb 21, 2014 11:55:03 AM

20. yeah if you like cock you are acting like a girl, okaaaay

Posted by: Qj201 | Feb 21, 2014 11:58:01 AM

21. When he says "seek more information", he really means, "I'm scared sh*tless that the US is going to stop sending us aid, cutting off the free flow of money that I funnel directly into my pockets".

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Feb 21, 2014 12:00:20 PM

22. So, countries should treat each other with respect, but . . . people have no such obligation to treat each other that way?!?!?

How thick can you get?

Posted by: FFS | Feb 21, 2014 12:06:02 PM

23. U.S. HIV/AIDS funding to Uganda is currently $280 million a year, and totals $1.4 billion since 2004. - See more at: http://blogs.state.gov/stories/2010/07/13/pepfar-programs-uganda-update#sthash.1PDNMbgf.dpuf

Posted by: Oliver Wendell Douglas | Feb 21, 2014 12:10:30 PM

24. Is it possible Museveni is actually a good guy here? All these delay tactics may be a simple response to foreign aid concerns but they could also be the work of an elected leader trying to manage the entrenched homophobia of the majority of those who elected him. A typically homophobic African leader would not call for scientific "clarification" about anything regarding homosexuality before signing a bill like this. Museveni has done so twice now. This is a kind of progress.

Posted by: kipp | Feb 21, 2014 12:19:09 PM

25. There are no scientists in Uganda. Just dumb and ignorant pretenders.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 21, 2014 12:21:06 PM