Drones | News | Whales

Whale Watching by Drone Offers Stunning, Rare View of Mother Humpback and Calf: VIDEO

Whales

Justin Edwards, a whale enthusiast with a RC drone, captured some beautiful footage of humpback whales on February 14 off the coast of Maui near Kihei, including a mother playing with her calf.

Writes Edwards: "I love filming from my drone and I am always looking for things to film so whales seemed like a great subject.  I also wanted to show my two young boys what a whale was like because they would normally only see them blowing air from a long way away - Now they know how big and majestic these creatures are!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh great, now the Japanese are going to see this and put harpoons on drones to hunt them remotely.

Posted by: Hansel Currywurst | Feb 20, 2014 8:29:54 AM

2. I enjoyed this, beautiful! Thanks Andy!

Posted by: bannock-hou | Feb 20, 2014 9:02:36 AM

3. What's the music Playing over the video? Anyone know?

Posted by: Caliban | Feb 20, 2014 9:23:16 AM

4. @caliban it's the end credits song from the 2nd Hobbit movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzD12qo1knM

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 20, 2014 9:33:16 AM

5. The song is "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran. It's from The Hobbit 2 movie. Sounds like it might be a remix though.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 20, 2014 9:34:17 AM

6. This is where I live. A good reminder of one of the reasons why. It can be a bit remote and lonely way out here. Come visit!

Posted by: Casey | Feb 20, 2014 9:42:31 AM

7. Casey, I'm jealous, Love Kihei and Lahaina. Friends live in Kihei, more friends have a condo and rent it out; but we haven't been to the islands in several years..... recession hits everyone. It's a good getaway.
    S

Posted by: Steven Jaeger | Feb 20, 2014 11:05:25 AM

8. Hansel, for what it's worth, the Japanese and the Norwegians have been using satellite technology to track and hunt whales. Would it be that whale hunting is banned with no loopholes and no exceptions. Watching a video like this makes me wish Mother Nature would get rid of us humans. We add nothing to this world.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 20, 2014 11:31:47 AM

9. It's sweet to watch her lift the baby up to the surface on her back.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Feb 20, 2014 1:58:53 PM