‘Game of Thrones’ Actor Kristian Nairn Comes Out: ‘The Gay Community’ is ‘MY Community’

Nairn

Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor on Game of Thrones, came out of the closet publicly in an interview at Winter is Coming.

Nairn was asked about his big following in the gay community, specifically the Bear community.

Said Nairn:

Well, in all honesty, when you talk about “the gay community,” you are talking about MY community, haha. I AM aware of it yeah, and I think it’s really lovely. There’s not a day that I don’t get a few messages, but 99% or more are super sweet and nothing smutty at all! Again, it’s a privilege, and I really mean that. I’ve never hidden my sexuality from anyone, my whole life in fact, and I’ve been waiting for someone to ask about it in an interview, cos it’s not something you just blurt out. I’ve tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!

Comments

1. Tim says

Did he “come out” or did he speak about being gay? Did everyone in his life already know that he’s gay?

Some of these “coming out” stories just seem like a day late and a dollar short when they’re labeled “coming out.”

2. Howard B says

“I’ve tried to lead the questions a few times, to no avail!” That’s because there is a sizable chunk of the population who do not believe that gay men can look like him, and come in all sizes, shapes and colors. Well, surprise, surprise! Kristian Nairn is helping to break down some stereotypes about what gay men look like, so good for him. I only wish there had been role models like him 50 years ago when I was a child!

3. DarrenW says

Okay, I am sorry for letting my geek show, but his name is not Hodor. Hodor is what he says – and because of that, what everyone calls him – but so far no one knows why. His true name: Walder. I shall now put my geek back in the box. 😉

4. Brian W. says

When it comes to a celebrity, coming out means that the general public had no knowledge the person was gay. It doesn’t matter if his close friends and family already knew.

5. aron says

I’ve known him for years and he’s a completely lovely guy and all this couldn’t have happened to a nicer fella. And yes, he did a very fun, completely nuts drag act for years called Revvlon. He used to make his own giant platforms out of cork floor tiles! And he still DJ’s every week in a local Belfast gay club. Delighted for him that he’s found this success.

6. Tyler says

Nobody thinks of Enchantra (or her real self, Rick) sexually. It is this loneliness and sexual frustration that has led this person to become such an irritating troll. Pathetic and sad.

7. Bradley says

Comes out?
    Please re-title to respect this man and the history of his life that includes his sexuality.
    He did not “come out”, as he points out, he was never in.
    This is a man, an actor, who is gay, and has never claimed to be anything other than these things.
    This should be what our “new norm” is – no need to come out, as there is no need to be “in”.
    Thank you to those that have paved the way, and are still doing so, to this new reality. Kristian, thank you, and let’s all support all individuals in differing, unique, dangerous, and more challenging situations.
    Proud to be us.

8. SpaceCadet says

I find the whole concept of “coming out” fascinating as well. It is a coming out in that the public was up to this point unaware that he was gay but from the actor’s standpoint he was never in the closet to begin with so no need to make an announcement especially when no one was really asking. But maybe the larger question is why do we as a society make the blanket assumption that we are straight until we make a declaration that we are otherwise? If our sexuality is fluid and there is the equal possibility of being gay as we would be gay, there would be no need to “come out” as one way or the other. Ideally, it shouldn’t even be noteworthy.

9. Daniel says

Oh TIM, shut up. How often has he been interviewed? How often has he had the opportunity to come out publicly? And whether he “came out” or just talked publicly about it what’s the difference?