Johnny Weir Splits with Husband Victor Voronov

Weir_voronov

Johnny Weir has split with his husband Victor Voronov, he announced via Twitter:

"It is with great sadness that I announce that my husband and I are no longer together. My heart hurts, and I wish him well…No matter what, I am a cheerleader of love and partnership and creation. I am sad yet I am thankful that I was loved and that I could love."

In early March, Weir and Voronov appeared in a New Jersey court to clear up domestic violence charges after Voronov filed a police report in which he alleged the three-time U.S. national figure skating champion had bitten him.

Comments

1. Chris L. says

These two children don’t have what it takes to make a lifelong commitment to each other. They should go back to playing doctor.

2. Alex says

such a sad commentary on the state of our affairs – that people feel the need to make such announcement on social media. I mean, really why announce it? Just split quietly and go away.

3. TampaZeke says

Voronov was nothing more than one more Fabrage egg to feed Johnny’s Russia(n) fetish. And Voronov is a fame whore that was willing to be Johnny’s Russian trophy in exchange for fame. They deserved each other.

4. Oy Vey says

@Chris L, they are both adults. At which age do you think people should be allowed to be married or make a commitment? You’re just as bad as those freaks in NOM who think that it’s up to you to give some kind of permission.

5. Daniel Berry, NYC says

Via Twitter? How every dignified.

There are some things about Mr Weir and his generation that I do not understand and am repelled by. This is a great example. From virtually everything in the press about him in the last couple of year, I hope no one considers him a role model for anything, either personally or professionally. Perhaps like Mr Bieber, this is someone to whom “success” and “recognition” came far too early for him to be able to handle it.

6. Continuum says

Just another example of Weir’s not ready for adulthood personna.

Self-absorbed, self-important, spoiled child as exhibited by his actions toward the GLBT persecution in Russia and at the Olympics.

7. oncemorewithfeeling says

I wonder if Voronov got paid off to drop the assault charge with promises of a profitable divorce or if Weir tricked him into dropping it with promises of a reconciliation?

Regardless, this is the least surprising announcement of this century.

8. reality says

I mean, no one should be happy when a couple splits up if you don’t know all the circumstances.

9. MichaelJ says

Not to suggest that two particular people had something to do with their breakup (I’ve always found Johnny Weir more than a little weird) but I think there marriage raises a more general question.

With all the attention on the fight for same-sex marriage, and all the celebrations of the various victories in that fight, are many same-sex couples rushing into marriage before they are ready, and before they would have done had they been a straight couple? Straight couples never have had to think about whether they have the right to marry, so they need not rush into marriage. (Although plenty of them do, particularly in the more traditional South, where people on average both marry at young ages and get divorced or separated.)

I wonder with all the excitement about increasing numbers of us being able to marry, if too many couples wanting to be a part of the excitement rush into marriage before they are ready? And I wonder if all the energy given to and all the attention paid to the fight for marriage equality is making many buy into the traditional norm that marriage is an ideal, a be all and end all of possible ways of living and the most important thing to make your life fulfilled? I’m not against marriage (I recently married my man of 23 years), but I think the quality of one’s relationships with others is more important — whether it is in marriage or not. But hey, I’m a baby boomer who grew up with the sexual revolution, Stonewall and the emergence of gay activism, so maybe my views are just old-fashioned.

10. Seattle Mike says

Yet another example of why people should not rush into getting married. But straight people haven’t learned that lesson yet either.

11. Tyler says

Fun fact: Litper and Sam are the same person. And that person is Rick. Don’t feed the troll.

12. Randy says

This isn’t about the “rush” to get married. It’s simply about whether you are capable of valuing another human being, or not.

13. anon says

Johnny is now a advocate for same-self marriage. Yes, he’s going to marry himself and hopes to do so shortly.

14. says

I have this feeling that when marriage equality is nationalized, the divorce rate isn’t going to change at all. The problem is people not really understanding what it takes to be in a committed lifelong relationship. Thankfully I have parents and tons of aunts and uncles who are still married to their first spouse and are happy.

15. Derrick from Philly says

Look, even in the Gay world you have Kardasians. What are you going to do?

Johnny is a star. LOL. I guess. LOL

16. Ben says

Did “fear of Weir” prevent Towleroad from early reporting? This was yesterday’s news.

17. Retro says

There are undoubtedly going to be the same percentage of divorces among gay celbutards as straight ones.

18. Jerry says

I pretty much clued in to this when Johnny started spending so much more time with Tara Lipinski than with his husband. I mean, Tara was his plus-one to the Oscars. Who does that (besides Kevin Spacey and Jared Leto)?

19. billy.elliott says

They were in court on domestic abuse charges because allegedly Johnny B I T? him???
    I know some guys like it when you bite…

20. EchtKultig says

He is truly the George Michael of his time.
    Posted by: Rad | Mar 20, 2014 8:09:10 AM

That’s actually a huge insult to George Michael.