Comments

1. Jerry says

VP:
    I assume you’re speaking for yourself.
    (The hats. A couple of the guys under them I’m neutral about.)
    Shaved, oiled and twinkish is not first choice, but I wouldn’t kick any of them out of bed. And the French bulldog is a keeper.

2. throwslikeagirl says

I’m getting a strong 80’s/90’s vibe here. Is that what she’s going for? Who’s her demographic? Love the cowboy hats. French bulldog puppies in cowboy hats– YEAH!

3. Jeffrey says

I don’t want to sound harsh but this looks like pure pandering on the part of Kylie. First she does a video which includes girl-girl action designed to appeal to sleazy straight guys, many of whom are homophobic. Now she does one which is designed to appeal to gay guys.

It’s as if she is being controlled by a marketing strategy designed to cover all bases, including a demographic (sleazy straight guys) which is offensive to gay men. Lame.

A broader point is significant because it suggests that the likes of Kylie (and Madonna etc) are symptomatic of a wider homophobia in the music industry. The point is this: why can popular female acts make videos that include girl-girl action but popular male acts always make videos that never include guy-guy action? Even genuinely gay male singers rarely, if ever, put guy-guy action in their videos.

It’s a double standard which is worth looking into. We need to look into it because, as gay men, we may be enabling this homophobic double standard whenever we buy the music of Kylie, Madonna etc.

4. Mike says

Jeffrey,

BINGO, you hit the nail on the head.

Katy Perry sang I Kissed A Girl and had a no. 1 hit with it. Beyonce, Rihanna, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Kylie, Christina Aguilera etc have all put girl-girl action in their music videos. All these performers have been very popular commercially. I can’t think of any male performers of similar popularity who have put guy-guy action in their videos.

In a nutshell, the female performers are allowed to get away with it but the male performers aren’t.

I won’t be buying any music from these women, sorry. I won’t buy any music from any female performer who props up this homophobic double standard.

5. Jimbo says

Simply sad. And the cowboy hats – seriously? I think the last line dancer retired to a twilight home a decade ago. Even a Bulgarian stylist could tell you it’s 2014: any chance of catching up with the zeitgeist? You’re being let down, luv.

6. Tomas says

It’s funny that some gay men say that the Sexercize video is geared toward straight men, as if lesbians didn’t exist and weren’t a target group, either. Isn’t that lesbophobic by omission?

7. Jon says

Although I thoroughly enjoy watching hot men dance around in stylish underwear, I am aware that it is not “good for me” in the same way that eating a fried Twinkie would taste good but would also not be good for me. And I can’t even say it’s a guilty pleasure, because SOOO much of the music industry is SOOO sexualized today. I mean, the majority of hits today are about having sex, or something along those lines. And the videos accompanying them (or MTV music awards, etc.) play right into it.

While we may not often agree with Christians on matters of sexual morality, I think we can agree with them that our culture in general is overly-sexualized. And that is not good for us, even if we enjoy it for the moment.

There are so many other things to sing about and promote that are not degrading and debasing. Do we really want to keep emptying ourselves like this, both as individuals and as a culture? Gay and straight alike?

8. reality says

I’m here to complain, just like all other troll commenters! Everything is bad! Everyone must know why I think its bad! …… Actually Kylie is great and this unofficial video is cute and fun. People need to calm down.