David Letterman | Hip-Hop | Le1f | Music | New York | News

NYC-Based Rapper LE1F, Who Happens to Be Gay, Makes TV Debut on Letterman: VIDEO

2_le1f

NYC-based rapper Le1f took his hit "Wut" to The Late Show with David Letterman last night, making his television debut. We've featured several of Le1f's clips here, "Wut", "Spa Day" and "Soda".

After the performance, Dave tried to cut a deal for Le1f's shoes.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Le1f has a new EP coming out on Brooklyn-based Terrible Records (known for indie bands like Grizzly Bear).

Newsweek recently asked him if he feels like the media pigeonholes him as a gay rapper:

I feel like some people do, some people don’t. And I don’t really care at this point. I can’t be bothered [laughs]. At this point where I’ve gotten so much pressure, like ridiculous stuff, I don’t care...The headlines and things I’ve gotten for some real serious press. At this point I know that I’m making the music I want to make regardless of how people talk about my music on the Internet. I don’t feel pressure to make anything because of how people talk about me. I don’t feel much changed by the fact that I was called a gay rapper a lot… And there are lots of people who might just only know “Wut” and that’s fine. Just the fact that I have art that’s out there that people are paying attention to and enjoying is rewarding enough for me to not even be thinking about whatever else is going on.

Le1f

Comments

1. Rap music is the main vehicle for spreading homophobia and hatred of gays in the USA. Gay rappers are like gay christian conservatives .. supporters of homophobia.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 14, 2014 8:32:58 AM

2. That was fantastic! I loved the dance moves. I've been enjoying his music so far, hope he gets the recognition he deserves really soon.

Posted by: Chris K | Mar 14, 2014 8:34:02 AM

3. Love his single Spa Day

Posted by: Martin | Mar 14, 2014 8:38:52 AM

4. "Who happens to be gay?" Gosh, I really do hate that phrase. Would you ever describe yourself that way? "Mom, dad - I happen to be gay." C'mon now.

Posted by: JBizzle | Mar 14, 2014 8:59:27 AM

5. I didn't hear him say anything homophobic or hateful Kevin C. I don't generally listen to rap, but this was interesting. Good luck to him!

Posted by: kevin | Mar 14, 2014 9:05:19 AM

6. Kevin, how do you know what he's saying? I couldn't understand it, and he looks and sounds like any other rap artists.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 14, 2014 9:16:03 AM

7. @KEV C So we should abolish the entire creative outlet of rap? Or maybe we should work on changing it. How could we possibly change it.... let's think..... MAYBE A GAY RAPPER WHO IS POPULAR AND SHOWS THAT RAP CULTURE IS CHANGING.

Posted by: Tonez | Mar 14, 2014 9:21:18 AM

8. Nice subtle racism there Kev C. Good luck with that in life.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 14, 2014 9:36:36 AM

9. "he looks and sounds like any other rap artists."

You mean black, right? Go ahead, Jason, and say what you want to say.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 14, 2014 9:39:09 AM

10. Can't wait for the next phase of music to start up and replace rap. It's going to go away, but not soon enough.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 14, 2014 9:46:03 AM

11. I love it!

Posted by: Lucas H | Mar 14, 2014 9:55:34 AM

12. Tonez, should we also promote gay evangelical preachers too? Or should we abolish the entire output of christian evangelicals?

Martin and Crispy, whatever racism you imagine is purely in your head.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 14, 2014 9:58:50 AM

13. Oh, white people. Rap isn't going anywhere. It's a beautiful art form that is far more progressive than country music. Bet, the most homophobic rap music is the kind whose consumer base is mostly white.

It's interesting how rap is being equated to gay Christian conservatives and not gay Christians generally. Someone should elaborate on that racist point.

Posted by: Yeahyoutoo | Mar 14, 2014 10:04:11 AM

14. Not a rap person, UNTIL NOW! Awesome beat, harmonically interesting, made me want to dance. I guess rap is a legitimate art, but with the bullsh__ homophobia and misogyny still involved we need more
    Rappers like this guys and less rappers like... Just about everyone else.

Posted by: Tristram | Mar 14, 2014 10:04:38 AM

15. "It's interesting how rap is being equated to gay Christian conservatives "

It's just 1 person, and he's our resident racist, misogynistic, transphobic, HIV-denying whackjob.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 14, 2014 10:10:01 AM

16. "Can't wait for the next phase of music to start up and replace rap. It's going to go away, but not soon enough."

You damn kids and your hippity-hop music. Don't make me shake my cane atcha!

Posted by: crispy | Mar 14, 2014 10:11:31 AM

17. Yeahyoutoo, Rap music is the leading messenger of homophobia in the USA, the leading vehicle for expressing anti-gay hatred. It has millions more listeners than christian evangelicals, who also express hatred of gays but to a much smaller audience. And yet, many gays are upset at evangelical messaages while giving Eminem, Lil Wayne and Waka Flocka a free pass to spread their messages of hate.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 14, 2014 10:15:18 AM

18. Oh, STFU, Kev C. One of the biggest rap songs of the last couple of years promoted equal marriage, something that has never been done in pop or rock music.

Here's a chair. Sit down.

Posted by: Mikey | Mar 14, 2014 10:23:32 AM

19. I don't like or understand Rap. I don't really listen to HipHop at all--unless it's in a movie. BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I'M OLD and out of touch with contemporary pop culture.

Those of you who are waiting for Rap to go away--forget it. It is the music and main art form for atleast 2 generations of young folks--world wide.

Just like American Classical music (Jazz), Folk/Country music the 2nd, Rock n'Roll the 3rd; HipHop is America's 4th musical gift to the world.

Rap is not going away.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 14, 2014 10:23:44 AM

20. Love this guy, but those shoes?
    Hire a stylist!

Posted by: keating | Mar 14, 2014 10:24:14 AM

21. Hey Kev C, whereas religion is informed of its hatred by dogma and the bible, Rap, like any other musical form, is comprised of individuals expressing unique experiences through sound and lyrics. Am I being clear enough for you?

Posted by: Martin | Mar 14, 2014 10:24:17 AM

22. No Martin, you are far from being clear. An informal review of gay bashings in the USA shows that that a majority of the individuals who gay bash listen to rap music. Because rap spreads homophobia and emboldens homophobes into violence.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 14, 2014 10:35:14 AM

23. lol "informal review"
    ok Dingbat.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 14, 2014 10:39:53 AM

24. I live with a bunch of young gay guys and they think rap sucks. Actually they don't think about it at all (that's how bad it sucks). I never hear it around them, ergo it's already over, or never started. As soon as I mention it they make a mockery of it by striking pretentious inner city poses. It's hysterical how easy it is to immitate goofball moves and ignorant language. We laugh ourselves silly when we have a moment together from working all the time.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 14, 2014 10:49:10 AM

25. But, y'know, who understands those rap guys?

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Mar 14, 2014 10:57:03 AM