Discrimination | Maryland | News | Transgender

Maryland Senate Passes Transgender Rights Bill in 32-15 Vote

Madaleno Maryland

The Maryland Senate voted 32-15 to approve a bill protecting transgender people from discrimination in housing, employment, and other areas.

SB212, the Fairness for All Marylanders Act, was introduced by State Sen. Rich Madaleno (D-Montgomery County) earlier this year.

The bill now moves on to the House.

Comments

1. TERRIFIC! the world only spins forward :)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2014 12:18:55 PM

2. Trans activists opposed marriage equality in Maryland, urged the legislature not to take up the issue and then urged trans people to vote to repeal it in the 2012 referendum.

Therefore, I will be contacting my delegate in the MD House to urge them to vote NO on the trans bill. I expect that it will fail just as it did last year. If by some twist it should pass, then I will do everything I can to support the repeal referendum.

Trans activists are antigay. Read the trans activist blogs. They do not like or respect LGB people, nor do they give a sh^t about our rights. They hold us in contempt as they use us for money and free labor.

Posted by: David Tennenbaum/Gaithersburg | Mar 4, 2014 12:21:25 PM

3. dont care one way or the other.gay and trans R 2 different things.

Posted by: thedude | Mar 4, 2014 12:26:14 PM

4. This is great. And to the bitter commenter above, you know you're a bigot when you hate and want to oppress an entire class of people. Substitute Jews or blacks for trans and maybe you'll get my point.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 4, 2014 12:30:10 PM

5. @SpaceCadet - don't fret. there's only actually ONE anti-trans commenter on this site, and he uses myriad screen names to vent his daily hatred towards the trans communities.

he's one more loser who uses internet anonymity to make up for his lack of spine, brains and integrity. he's a loser and a bigot, but he'll die - and alone. so it's ok :D

again - there are not anti-trans commenters in here - there is only ONE, who uses various names. because he's certifiably insane.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2014 12:41:53 PM

6. David: proof?

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 4, 2014 1:04:01 PM

7. I can confirm at least part of what David has said. As a staffer at an LGBT center, I am on a closed Gmail group for Gender Rights MD supporters. It is not run by the group but it is made up of the group's donors and supporters. These people wanted to see marriage fail so badly. They were going to party on election night if it failed. One of them wanted to do a drinking game where they would take a shot every time a crying lesbian showed up on TV. I am glad that they were the ones crying when marriage won.

These are not people that LGBs should be helping or even should be involved with. They are cruel and horrifically antigay. I will vote against this if it ever makes it to the ballot.

Posted by: Deborah | Mar 4, 2014 1:56:29 PM

8. Of course, I just made up everything I just typed. I'm not even a woman! I'm a man pretending to be a woman as I type my usual anti-trans hatred! Isn't that ironic? A man pretending to be a woman so he can express his hatred for transpeople. It's like Victor/Victoria only not clever or funny!

Posted by: Deborah | Mar 4, 2014 2:02:41 PM

9. Deborah, it's convenient that there's no way to verify your (anonymous) claims.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 4, 2014 2:49:02 PM

10. Little Kiwi - You posted a false comment under my name. I know it is you because on another page you forgot to switch out of "my" name and you posted something else as me. I feel sorry for you that you would go to such lengths to defend trans homophobia. Says something about your self-esteem as a gay man.

TheDrDonna - I cannot give a link to that email group because it is by invite only and is limited to people working in LGBT community organizations in Maryland and DC. I doubt that you are really interested in proof. If you were, you would have done some googling and you would be find plenty of trans agitation against marriage equality in 10 minutes. I believe I read a comment from you a while back that you only ask for proof as a way to derail the discussion, not because you really want to evaluate things. You are a very dishonest person, DrDonna. Trans activists can try to derail but eventually, the truth will out.

Posted by: Deborah | Mar 4, 2014 3:11:06 PM

11. I didn't forget. I did it intentionally - i like pointing out to you trolls how obvious and pathetic you are. You're a cowardly troll, and that's GREAT because it means your bigotry has no traction :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 4, 2014 3:14:18 PM

12. Deborah, I just googled "transgender people against gay marriage" and read through the first 15 pages. I couldn't find a single page where trans people were talking about opposing gay marriage. In fact, the majority of the results talked about how laws that allow gay marriage had left trans people behind or articles from trans people upset at HRC for saying that gay marriage isn't a trans issue. Where are these pages that you can so easily find? Can you link to a single trans organization saying they oppose SSM? I'm not talking about something you claim to have heard on some private place that nobody but you could see but you swear is true. A actual URL to a site where trans people are saying how much they oppose gay marriage.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 3:32:33 PM

13. Deborah, see: I'm in the same boat as Allie. I looked, didn't see much of anything, and I asked for proof of your and others' claims. To date, when I ask that question, I get nothing back besides self-righteous people reiterating their claims. Now, at least, you've augmented that with claims of derailment, despite the fact that you're apparently too busy to actually provide any kind of details, besides those that are conveniently incapable of being shown to others. Who's derailing here?

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 4, 2014 3:51:19 PM

14. Deborah, HA-HA, the joke is on you.

Gender Rights Maryland doesn't have any donors! Go look at their 990s on Guidestar.

In fact, they are not even in the coalition pushing this bill. Their executive director refused to testify in the searing.

I don't know if they are anti-gay. Yet one has to question if they are pro-trans.

Posted by: Nancy F. N. Drew | Mar 4, 2014 6:42:36 PM

15. TheDrDonna=Alliefoo

Trannies are always pretending to be someone they are not.

Posted by: BigBugFan | Mar 4, 2014 9:53:56 PM

16. You can go ahead and think that if you like, doesn't make it any more true. Of course, if your name means what I think it means, you're used to believing a lot of untenable ideas. Luckily, the Maryland legislature doesn't listen to anonymous internet commenters, or bigoted anti-trans lawyers who doxx minors.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 4, 2014 10:12:09 PM

17. I think that apart from the occasional biological blur, transgender is a lot of bunk. However, what isn't bunk is that there is very little differentiation between trans-issues and feminism and core respect issues.

It isn't that transgenders should have their own bathrooms, it's that bathrooms have been a dangerous, immodest, sharetoy for far too long. There is no reason to poo in the company of others.

You can't possibly define out transgender in a world where biological women can choose to wear men's or women's clothing, to wear make up or not wear make up. There is no natural or organic place to draw a line between male behavior and female behavior, so how can you possibly draw one which proscribes the behavior of people who imagine themselves to be of the biological sex they are not?

The worst thing to happen to sports is Title iX. The best thing to happen would be to get rid of mens and womens sports, and let everyone compete.

Support transgender nondiscrimination.

Posted by: enchantra | Mar 4, 2014 10:22:27 PM

18. bigbugfan I have freely posted who I am here. My name is Alyssa Evers, you can find me on facebook. You can claim I'm Donna till you're blue in the face but you're the one who is hiding behind an anonymous account like a coward.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 10:53:43 PM

19. bigbugfan I have freely posted who I am here. My name is Alyssa Evers, you can find me on facebook. You can claim I'm Donna till you're blue in the face but you're the one who is hiding behind an anonymous account like a coward.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 10:53:43 PM

20. bigbugfan I have freely posted who I am here. My name is Alyssa Evers, you can find me on facebook. You can claim I'm Donna till you're blue in the face but you're the one who is hiding behind an anonymous account like a coward.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 10:53:43 PM

21. bigbugfan I have freely posted who I am here. My name is Alyssa Evers, you can find me on facebook. You can claim I'm Donna till you're blue in the face but you're the one who is hiding behind an anonymous account like a coward.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 10:53:43 PM

22. boo for cell phones being buggy.

Posted by: alliefoo | Mar 4, 2014 10:55:29 PM

23. If this passes, this is what the people of MD have to look forward to. Violent rapist is allowed admission to a women's shelter just because he says he is a "transwoman." Rapes 2 women there. Even though he isn't trans, the shelter has no choice but to accept his claim, even though he isn't on hormones and looks and acts male. Since gender identity is whatever anyone claims it to be, the shelter couldn't turn this rapist away without risking a lawsuit.

This is transgender insanity. It hurts women. The rapes of those 2 women who were seeking safety at a shelter is on the heads of trans activists.

Posted by: Helene | Mar 5, 2014 2:15:13 AM

24. Helene, that's a terrible story and that dude deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. To say that his actions are the responsibility of trans folks is ridiculous, though. By that logic, every trans person who is raped or assaulted or murdered because they are forced to use facilities inconsistent with their gender presentation would be on your head, and those like you who fight trans nondiscrimination laws.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 5, 2014 10:46:07 AM