Brendan Eich | Mozilla | News

Mozilla Employees Call On CEO Brendan Eich To Step Down Over Prop 8 Donation

Today several Mozilla employees all tweeted: "I'm an employee of @mozilla and I'm asking @brendaneich to step down as CEO."

EichThe tweet is in reference to Brendan Eich — a financial supporter of California’s anti-gay 2008 ballot amendment Proposition 8 — who on Monday became CEO of Mozilla, the software community behind the popular web browser Firefox.

On Tuesday, Mozilla released a statement reiterating the company’s commitment to provide a fair equitable workplace for its LGBT employees — presumably to forestall any calls for a Mozilla boycott. And on Wednesday, Eich himself reiterated this same message while omitting any comment on his prior contributions.

But today’s tweet was made by “Mozilla Open Badges project lead Chris McAvoy, Mozilla Festival curator Chloe Vareldi, partnerships lead John Bevan, designer Jessica Klein, and engagement team member Sydney Moyer.”

McAvoy added “that he feels fortunate to work at a company like Mozilla, ‘where I can say that without fear of retribution.’”

Some developers have already publicly announced their boycott of  Mozilla's Firefox in light of Eich's hiring.

Comments

1. Good! This is what they should be doing.

Posted by: Omar | Mar 27, 2014 8:03:16 PM

2. Ahhhhhh...the hatred continues. Next we'll be having our own version of "Kristallnacht" over here in the States. If you don't march in lock step on the issue of what constitutes marriage, then we'll force you out. The pure hatred among too many in the gay-rights movement is absolutely unbelievable, and it's down-right scary.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 27, 2014 8:15:06 PM

3. @JON I didn't know you posted here, Tom Perkins!

Posted by: Rawn | Mar 27, 2014 8:17:00 PM

4. Bigots have the freedom like everyone else to do/say what they want. They also have to face the consequences!! I hope he gets removed from the CEO job.

Posted by: Chickletts | Mar 27, 2014 8:17:29 PM

5. No doubt many will mistakenly attempt to frame this as a freedom of speech issue.

This is not a case of the government stepping in and censoring his speech or his political contributions— he can still speak out about the issue, and he can even give more money to groups fighting against our rights.

His First Amendment rights remain in tact.

But free speech doesn't always mean consequence-free speech— and contributing to causes like Prop 8 is also not without consequences. Just ask The Dixie Chicks.

Just as he is free to his views, everyone else is free to theirs, including Mozilla's employees, volunteers, customers, and the general public. So, while he isn't being censored, he is, in a way, be CENSURED by the free market of ideas.

If he had given money to fight against interracial marriage, or had given money to the KKK, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because everyone would know that behavior isn't what the majority of our society considers acceptable.

I often hear so many LGBT people say that we should just shut up and not complain when straights use "gay" or "tranny" in bad ways. We should let that behavior slide. That to complain and stand up for ourselves makes us just like the bigots that condemn us.

They are wrong.

This is how we get to were we want to be, to the place where people will realize that saying "faggot" is just as unacceptable as saying "the N-word", and it is not a witch hunt. Just like the blacks in the 1960s, we have to teach people how to treat us.

We have to demand respect.

It's up to us to define the new normal.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 27, 2014 8:26:23 PM

6. @OMAR - NO! It is not hatred, when for centuries we have remained silent and said nothing about the abuses perpetuated on the LGBT community. We are now standing up as the equal humans we are, and we will no longer accept this type of nonsense. Brendan Eich has the right to believe and do what he wishes. Likewise we have the right to vote against this type of hatred with OUR dollars and actions. And if you think the GLBT dollar is not sought after you are sadly mistaken. We will vote with our dollars and boycott as we feel necessary. And YOU and your ilk will simply be left by the wayside as we move forward into the 21st Century. The modern dinosaur - bigoted/hate-mongering/fundamentalist/self righteous people, will become extinct. We have been patient far too long.

Posted by: RLee | Mar 27, 2014 8:33:59 PM

7. Only one troll in six posts? I have to check the top of the page. Am I still on Trollroad?

Good for the employees for speaking out. If life is uncomfortable for bigots because of their choice to engage in bigoted actions, then maybe theses bigots should stop choosing to engage in bigoted actions.

And maybe just stop choosing to be bigots altogether? I find it very easy to go through my day without trying to destroy groups of people. It's not that difficult.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Mar 27, 2014 8:38:50 PM

8. How could I possibly continue to do business with a company whose leader is against my equal rights?

Posted by: trees | Mar 27, 2014 8:42:18 PM

9. If it were a CEO who donated to the KKK, I wonder if Mozilla would have thought twice about it.

Posted by: Chrislam | Mar 27, 2014 8:46:43 PM

10. I think the question is has he ever tried to force his views on employees or policies at Mozilla. We can't condemn anyone from having a job if they are not imposing their beliefs on others. My employer (small family company) I know does not agree with marriage equality. However, he has never been anything but respectful to me and my husband both. He's given me large raises, a promotion and signed off on my husband being on company benefits with absolutely no argument. He even "grossed up" my wages before DOMA was struck down and I had to pay extra taxes for benefits. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as long as they are respectful to others.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 27, 2014 8:47:32 PM

11. I'm actually shocked.

Posted by: Derrick | Mar 27, 2014 8:48:16 PM

12. Consider the fact that there are likely dozens of people at Mozilla who probably hold the same personal views as the new CEO. It's very likely in any organization with thousands of employees. A boycott has never been called for before despite the fact that those people work there. Why all the sudden is it a relentless news story because one guy gets a promotion? He has worked there since the Mozilla Foundation was started.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 27, 2014 8:53:27 PM

13. There is a tremendous lack of empathy and understanding by so many here. The guy has a different view of what constitues marriage. Shoot, most of the gay community until like 10 years ago had the same view! He wasn't trying to jail gay people, or get us fired, or have us committed, or get us kicked out of the country. He personally believed in a traditional view of marriage, like a majority of other Americans at the time.

And now you want to see him destroyed? Because he hasn't 'evolved' in his opinion about marriage as quickly as others?

I'm sorry, but you're the haters here. And intolerant bigots. And you don't even see how hateful so many of you have become, you're so blinded by your rage.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 27, 2014 8:53:56 PM

14. @Jon, why do you feel the need to exaggerate the opposition to this guy? "See him destroyed" "blinded by rage"?
    I'm not either of those things, but I'm also nobody's fool. This man didn't just "hold an opinion" he donated money to remove Civil Rights, likely from coworkers that he knew were gay. There were very real consequences for gay people under Prop 8. Maybe you don't see it, but it is very much a big deal. He can think & do whatever he likes, & people can respond in kind. I'm very disappointed in the leadership at FF & I switched browsers. It's just that easy.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Mar 27, 2014 9:04:29 PM

15. @mike most of us still haven't bought into tranny being a bad word. Wasn't it only a couple of years ago we weren't supposed to say Twink anymore because someone somewhere decided it was offensive ... to Twinks....

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 27, 2014 9:13:30 PM

16. @JOSH.... Just what do you think Prop 8 was, if not "imposing his beliefs on others"?

Posted by: anon | Mar 27, 2014 9:14:13 PM

17. @mike... and I gladly accept being refered to as faggot. Being called LGBT makes my skin crawl. Its like being referred to as colored or negro.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 27, 2014 9:14:51 PM

18. @Jon

I don't want to "destroy" him. But I don't want to him to be rewarded with a very prestigious and powerful position at a company that many in the industry perceive as being on the leading edge of an industry I love, and that may be the most important industry since the invention of the printing press.

He's also not being punished for thinking differently, or having a difference of opinion, although it could be argued that his difference of opinion is that ten percent or so of the world's population doesn't deserve equal rights. Hell, he hasn't been punished at all, for anything, by anyone, at least not yet.

I hear many people wanting to limit this conversation to just business. OK, how about this: he was stupid enough to contribute money to the fight against equal rights when there was every reason to believe that this would be public information and come back to bite him in the ass. He shouldn't be CEO just for that lack of planning alone.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 27, 2014 9:20:35 PM

19. This guy didn't just hold the view that gay people don't deserve equal rights. He actively donated money toward a movement that succeeded for a time in taking away the rights gay people in California deserve as much as anybody. To financially support the robbing of the rights of other Americans is pretty egregious and unforgivable. Barring him offering a sincere apology that expresses a real change of heart on his part he needs to go.

Posted by: bicurious | Mar 27, 2014 10:27:38 PM

20. When will closeted gay men stop murdering out gay men?

Who knows !

Posted by: McGill | Mar 27, 2014 10:37:21 PM

21. Jon, My mom is white and my dad is black. I hope you realize that 50 years ago THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN JAILED FOR BEING IN LOVE AND MARRYING.

GO F*CK YOURSELF YOU TRAITOR IGNORANT BASTARD.

Posted by: McGill | Mar 27, 2014 10:38:34 PM

22. Bravo, Mozilla employees! I also love how Towleroad has been on top of this issue from Day One.

Posted by: Håkon | Mar 27, 2014 11:13:04 PM

23. @bicurious: before we get too self-righteous, how many of the people commenting negatively about Eich have ever signed a petition for an initiative based on the title and without reading the text? It is standard operating procedure in California for people to make the title or summary as misleading as possible.

Have you ever given some guy asking for donations for some worthy cause ten bucks when approached at some street intersection, without checking into what his alleged organization actually does?

At this point we don't know why Eich donated $1000. It could have been to oppose gay rights, but he could also have simply not been paying much attention, or might have been mislead about what he was supporting, and just wrote a check (given what I'd guess his income is, $1000 for him is probably like $10 for the average person). He might not even remember the details.

So my advise is to calm down for a while, and wait until more facts are available before flying off the handle.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 27, 2014 11:40:51 PM

24. "...but he could also have simply not been paying much attention..."

He'd have to be an incredible moron to give away $1,000 so flippantly. Maybe Mozilla shouldn't want a CEO who is such an unabashed idiot. Also, please stop trying to defend Eich with these bizarre contrivances - it's embarrassing you.

Posted by: Håkon | Mar 28, 2014 12:13:12 AM

25. >...how many of the people commenting negatively about Eich have ever signed a petition for an initiative based on the title and without reading the text? It is standard operating procedure in California for people to make the title or summary as misleading as possible.

This is the stupidest thing I've read today. Here is the full text of the proposition:

Proposition 8 consisted of two sections. Its full text was:[28]
    Section I. Title
    This measure shall be known and may be cited as the "California Marriage Protection Act."
    Section 2. Article I. Section 7.5 is added to the California Constitution, to read:
    Sec. 7.5. Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

That's it. And are you really arguing he's two stupid to understand two sentences AND donate $1000 to the intiative, but competent enough to run Mozilla?

Oh, and what about the $2100 he donated to a leading supporter of Prop 8? Did he think he was writing a check for the Make A Wish Foundation?

He's a bigot and shouldn't be leading a company who prides themeselves on promoting "freedom" and openess.

Posted by: Leonard | Mar 28, 2014 12:18:34 AM