Education | Facebook | Gay-Straight Alliances | West Virginia

Teacher Suspended For Comparing Gay-Straight Alliance To Drug-Users Club

David_foggin_psa

David Foggin, a teacher at Parkersburg South High School in West Virginia, has been suspended for four days by the Wood County School District for posting an image on Facebook comparing his school’s gay-straight alliance with a club for drugs, drunks and deer poaching.

FogginHis post had an image advertising the GSA’s next meeting and the following text written by him:

“Club meeting at PSHS!! Rally around them and show ur support. We are also considering a drunks-t totaller club, drugged/sober club, smokeless tobacco vs smokes club, street racing, and deer poaching clubs. Please donate and support us. Thank u!!! I think I hear the drag already zinging.”

The county school board is investigating the matter and considering whether or not Mr. Foggin’s will be paid during his suspension.

Comments

1. wait - THAT's IT? a 4-day suspension? AND they are considering whether or not to PAY him? So, basically they're deciding whether or not to give him a 4-day paid vacation?

Doesn't this type of behavior deserve a firing? If he made a posting that included racist, misogynistic, sexist, or what, ageist comments, wouldn't he get a true slap on the wrist, not a possible paid vacation?

Ridiculous.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 20, 2014 9:34:55 AM

2. "Teaching moments" for these types of actions are over. If you're an educator and you still treat students in your school this way, you need to be fired. And this is coming from an educator myself.

Posted by: reality | Mar 20, 2014 9:39:16 AM

3. I am always totally amazed when people like teachers or cops are suspended with pay. How is that anything other than a paid vacation. How does that kind of paid suspension qualify as any kind of punishment.

Posted by: Continuum | Mar 20, 2014 9:42:47 AM

4. Wow, this one hits close to home. I grew up on the west coast but my parents and grandparents are from here and both my sisters live there now. My partner and I were there for Thanksgiving and I was surprised to find they actually have a couple of gay bars although we never got a chance to visit them. People are nice but it is definitely small town, rural America.

Posted by: ATLJason | Mar 20, 2014 9:45:42 AM

5. Students are leading the teachers when it comes to acceptance. The next generation already gets it, unprofessional teachers like this never will. Some people don't deserve to shape children's futures.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Mar 20, 2014 9:49:46 AM

6. He should have been fired.

Posted by: Freddie | Mar 20, 2014 9:50:01 AM

7. If that was an attempt at humor, it's not even funny. Epic fail.

Posted by: Dback | Mar 20, 2014 10:09:48 AM

8. Fire the loser.

It's the only way people are going to learn.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 20, 2014 10:11:46 AM

9. I would have guess that he's a Math teacher, but maybe that's just me.

Posted by: Keppler | Mar 20, 2014 10:13:03 AM

10. West Virginia is for lovers! (Pig fuckers)

Posted by: Mitch | Mar 20, 2014 10:16:43 AM

11. This was my high school before I graduated in 2001. Please consider writing to Principal Tom Eschbacher and Superintendent Dr. Pat Law (jplaw@access.k12.wv.us, teschbac@access.k12.wv.us) about this. I wrote that the punishment was not strict enough, and how damaging this will be on his professional relationships (teacher-student).

Posted by: TAL | Mar 20, 2014 10:25:01 AM

12. Of course West Virginia.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 20, 2014 10:28:57 AM

13. He's the science teacher. I can only imagine what his lessons are like.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 20, 2014 10:32:36 AM

14. and what would the punishment be if he were mocking the hypocrits (er, "christian") club?

hmmm?

zactly.

Posted by: justjohn | Mar 20, 2014 10:41:49 AM

15. Dressed as he is in that pic, he looks like a Deer poacher - so many this is his way of coming out... as an alcoholic drug addict deer poaching, smoking street racer.

Posted by: HankNYC | Mar 20, 2014 10:44:31 AM

16. Just another redneck.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 20, 2014 11:11:03 AM

17. that's what happens to your brain when you worship a dead jew on a stick.

Posted by: ascanius1 | Mar 20, 2014 11:26:50 AM

18. Suspended? He should be fired!

Posted by: Madame | Mar 20, 2014 11:48:47 AM

19. Boy, he sure looks and sounds like an educated individual. If West Virginia wants to be taken seriously, people like him (teachers, wow) need a makeover inside and out.

Posted by: Someone | Mar 20, 2014 12:15:43 PM

20. What kind of 'club' meeting? KKK?!

Posted by: bobbycat | Mar 20, 2014 12:19:00 PM

21. It's about time!! I've found a handful of people who agree with me. The comments I've been seeing are supporting him. I've seen a million comments using the freedom of speech bit and a million more using the religion bit. He turned a PRIVATE thought into a PUBLIC matter. He knew what he was posting and he knew he would get a slap on the wrist. He's supposed to be a role model for all kids in that school. He has an obligation as their mentor. He chose to take that obligation when he obtained his teaching degree. He should be held accountable for what he did. His free speech should be limited to what's appropriate and inappropriate just as the rest of us! But no, he's given back his position to continue teaching kids that it's OK to be bullies! He's supposed to support, guide and protect those kids, not belittle, ridicule and put them in danger.

Posted by: PrettyRazors | Mar 20, 2014 12:28:38 PM

22. Next time, they'll give him SUCH a pinch!

Posted by: Marc C | Mar 20, 2014 12:36:04 PM

23. Sure hope he doesn't teach civics.

Posted by: olympiasepiriot | Mar 20, 2014 12:53:48 PM

24. He must be fired.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 20, 2014 1:00:20 PM

25. Clint McCance all over again, eh?

Nice teacher. What a way to make your targeted students feel even more threatened every day at school. 4 days? FIRE him.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 20, 2014 1:40:08 PM