The OXD Mirror is a weekly music column brought to you by the boys of OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD), a New York City based collective created by three music lovers, Ru Bhatt, Josh Appelbaum, and Tad Haes, who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music with the world.
Kelis - Rumble (Breach Remix)
Kelis' upcoming sixth studio album, FOOD, is due to be released next month and we're very excited. The 'Milkshake'-maven's last album, Fleshtone, a collection of dancefloor ready tracks ruled the gay airwaves alongside Robyn's Body Talk in 2010 (in fact, the two co-headlined on tour together). Those expecting FOOD to be a continuation of that sound will be disappointed, but the album itself is quite brilliant. Kelis' changes her sound again bringing a jazzy, indie-soul vibe that she self-describes as a "kind of unspoken love fest." Not all is lost for dance fans, however, as we already have some promising remixes that bring Kelis back to the dancefloor. England's Ben Westbeech, better known as Breach gives the album's second single, 'Rumble' with a traditional house-style remix should keep fans happy.
- 'Jerk Ribs,' the jazzy, syncopated first single from Kelis' FOOD gets a piano driven deeper house treatment courtesy of England's Ben Pearce.
- MK tackles HAIM's latest single with his signature production that is really given its moment to shine with the dub treatment. If this version doesn't have enough lyrics for you, check out his vocal remix.
- 'Intimate Stranger' is yet another infectious house anthem by MUNK that tells the tale of a fleeting one night stand.
- Treasure Fingers & Anna Lunoe team up to create, 'Bad MF' an aggressive late night dancefloor filler.
- Shit Robot's LP, We Got A Love, just released this week and it's chock-full of disco and house jams that will have you grooving all summer long. The Leisure Connection remix of his latest single, "Do That Dance" tones the originaly down, giving it a summery, poolside vibe.
- Hot Natured's acclaimed collaboration with Róisín Murphy finally gets the remix treatment on their latest EP. The link above includes three different previews (my favorite being the Luca C & Brigante mix). You can buy the full versions on Beatport.
OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.
Be sure to check out these tracks and more on our Spotify Playlist. For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.